Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read/heard of the many things you can do to increase horsepower, but what are the types of things you do to increase torque? I do realize as HP goes up so does torque. I guess I'm looking for specifics..

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
774 Posts
i thought it was 5250...

exhaust and intake shape and runner length is a big contributor...

shorter larger tubes increase HP... longer smaller tubes increase torque.

for your intake you want to decrease intake air volume and increase velocity

i also heard of a restricter plate for the turbo that works too

·
Registered
89Supra, 92MR2
54 Posts
It is 5250.

Torque is measured in foot pounds. 1 pound of force applied at a 1 foot distance (length of lever) at 90 degrees (not axially) is 1 ft-lb.

By the formula torque changes with HP. A bigger bore will increase torque if you get more power out of the larger cylinder. The piston is applying the force to the crankshaft at a set distance. Since the rod length doesn't change the only way to increase torque is to increase the force the piston applies. How do we get more force from the piston- more HP.

So, as far as I know, increase your HP to increase your torque with the same set up.

If you increase the stroke it should increase torque since the distance if longer, giving more of a lever on the crank.

Big bore big stroke = big torque. Think of the huge torque of long stroke diesels.

·
boost > vtec
1996 del Sol VTEC
151 Posts
the shorter your rod ratio, the more torque you have, but the engine can't rev as high safely. so if you stroked an mr2, the displacement would increase (obviously), but also, since the stroke is greater, but the car retains the same rod length, the rod ratio is lower. this means that the rod is at a greater angle to the cylindar wall, and so it creates more friction. that's what limits you from reving as high safely. this gives you more torque though.

·
mr2oogleX
1991 MR2
306 Posts
what about engine responce?

do you guys remember the R34 Mines Skyline? the ultimate response machine, when(if) i build my 3s, i want to go that route. bhp and tq are just numbers to me, yeah, nice to brag about a high number, but i feel responce is what makes driving fun. atleast for me anyway.

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
774 Posts
moogleX said:
what about engine responce?

do you guys remember the R34 Mines Skyline? the ultimate response machine, when(if) i build my 3s, i want to go that route. bhp and tq are just numbers to me, yeah, nice to brag about a high number, but i feel responce is what makes driving fun. atleast for me anyway.

i completely agree....

right now... i am maximizing the output of the for the most part stock engine... engine damping, bushing... suspension... dialing it in... performance alignment.... tires... driveline angles... weight reduction, clutch.

the simple things add up to make what i have now perform even better... and belee dat... if does make a huge difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts