Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Corolla XLE
My MPG's over mostly highway driving is about 35. However, after every fill up my range indicator tells me I only have a range of 372 miles. Today, I filled up only 9.7 gallons of gas to full with the range indicator telling me I had about 50 miles left until empty.

The advertised tank size is 13.2 gallons x 35 mpg = 462 miles is what I should be getting

I am not sure why this is. Is it maybe because I have a smaller tank for some reason? Any input will be much appreciated! Thank you.

·
Questarian
95 Posts
I think we just have to take the estimate with a grain of salt, because I've noticed those numbers don't actually make sense either. I use my acar app to track my fuel, and the car actually OVER estimates my MPG. Yet I still have the same problem with it also UNDER estimating my range.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I am not sure why this is. Is it maybe because I have a smaller tank for some reason?
The computer’s range is a rough estimate based on past performance. You may get 35 mpg average, but if you were in stop and go traffic or even just urban circulation just before filling up, the computer also consider that, which could affect its estimate: it knows the past, not the future. The same goes for the range to empty. Plus “empty” is pessimistic for safety reasons: you actually have 2 gallons left (don’t test it unless you’re really adventurous… ;) ). So basically, the computer calculate things a bit randomly and as if the car had a 11.2 gallons tank vs its 13.2. With that in mind, your numbers add up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The stated MPG is lab test results, not realistic to real life usage. Do you use cruise control? Is the highway you are driving on completely flat? Do you accelerate fast?

In order to get the true 400+ Miles Per Tank you need to be suuuuper light on the accelerator and driving on a completely flat plane with no slowdowns.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The computer’s range is a rough estimate based on past performance. You may get 35 mpg average, but if you were in stop and go traffic or even just urban circulation just before filling up, the computer also consider that, which could affect its estimate: it knows the past, not the future. The same goes for the range to empty. Plus “empty” is pessimistic for safety reasons: you actually have 2 gallons left (don’t test it unless you’re really adventurous… ;) ). So basically, the computer calculate things a bit randomly and as if the car had a 11.2 gallons tank vs its 13.2. With that in mind, your numbers add up.
2 gallons remaining when the E light comes on sounds right...

I am adventurous and have tried. Luckily I planned my trips so I was near a gas station in case I ran out. One time I was running on gasoline vapor before hitting a gas station.... I advise against testing :p

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Long time ago I had a 65 Lincoln 4 dr hardtop, red leather interior, got about 13 MPG. Sold it to my brother who drives it until the low fuel light comes on and it dies 400 yards later, so he bitches to me. "The low fuel level light comes on too late".

I laughed and told him it was the "you just ran out of gas dumbass light".

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
2017 Corolla XLE
My MPG's over mostly highway driving is about 35. However, after every fill up my range indicator tells me I only have a range of 372 miles. Today, I filled up only 9.7 gallons of gas to full with the range indicator telling me I had about 50 miles left until empty.

The advertised tank size is 13.2 gallons x 35 mpg = 462 miles is what I should be getting

I am not sure why this is. Is it maybe because I have a smaller tank for some reason? Any input will be much appreciated! Thank you.
I'm amazed at how often this question comes up. The range indication is an approximation. It's also for the normal portion of the tank and will be close to the 11 gallon area leaving the reserve. 11 x 35 = 385 which is close to your 372. This will also change as you drive and the range will change with the way you drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts