Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I aim for squirrels
2007 Tacoma Offroad
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost it on some snow (I have no excuse, I learned to drive in the snow) and went over the edge. A tree broke my fall but now the truck is totaled. Would like to get more than pennies on the dollar for my donahoes, wheels, tires, etc. but I gotta call the insurance tomorrow. You guys that have wrecked cars in the past have any advice for me? I already paid a $800 tow bill to get it pulled out of the ravine. I still owe 10k on it and it's worth 18 on a good day.

Oh, and I'm fine, amazingly enough. The truck absorbed it all. A seatbelt bruise is all I have to show for it.

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
first of all, great to hear that you're ok.

don't know too much about totalled cars and what to do, but if you want to part it out, i'm sure you'll have no problem doing so on here. what kinda mods u got on there? :naughty:

·
Rad Red Prerunner
579 Posts
That poor Taco! And is that your CRF in the back? Looks nice! Good thing your safe and unharmed. I dont have any advice, but good luck with it!

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
There's a 50/50 chance they'll give you money for your aftermarket parts. Some companies are good with it some aren't.
Some require that you tell them you're adding stuff and they charge you a little extra premium for situations just like this.
Worst they can say is no, so just make sure you have your receipts handy.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Good to hear your safe and that the tacoma took the brunt of the everything. You should get a quote for how much the same setup would cost at the dealer for an 09 and try to find some prices in the for sale section with the same setup, that way you can leverage the amount you get back. Also salvage what after market parts you can it's highly unlikely you'll get very much for the extra parts because it's not worth anything to them.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
Dude glad you are ok. All that stuff can be replaced. However, you have 4x4 and good tires...nobody asked so I will...how in the heck did you go off the road? And where were you at? I know these mountains in So. Cal pretty well.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Take everything off of it you can. Beg and borrow enough parts to send it away as close to stock as possible. Was you bike in the back during the wreck?

·
p00pernickel
Toyota Tacoma
500 Posts
Crunchy.

Just a word of advice for you, and other guys, modding your vehicles. LET YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY KNOW. Almost all, will record what mod's you have done, provided you have still have reciepts. In the case of an accident, your parts will be replaced. My truck is fully covered with Nationwide, when the mom of 6 on a cell phone rips out my rear axle... guess what I get?!

·
I aim for squirrels
2007 Tacoma Offroad
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it was my CRF in the back. I had a 3 point strap down but it still went over the bed and hung against the side. I had run a strap through the plastic bed ring and down to a D-ring on the floor. It broke plastic ring but not before denting the side of the truck in from the force. I can't find any damage on the bike though. Those things are tough. I've looked around on craigslist but can't find much in the way of stock parts. Anybody here local to LA have anything they are willing to part with? In fact, if anybody want's to buy the Donahoe's, you can come over and swap them for your stockers. Not sure when the adjuster will get here but I doubt he'd notice those. Same goes for the wheels & tires. The wheels are helo maxx and the tires are Nitto terra grapplers (about 32" tall - 285/75/16). They have about 15k on them but have worn impressively well and still have tons of life on them.

Oh, and to the question on how it happened, I had the driver side tires on semi dry pavement in a snow patched road doing about 25 around a 40 mph corner and somehow the rear slid out on me. I corrected and thought I was going to pull it back in but then I hit a really dry patch with my front tires and they caught and sent me out over the edge. It was really freakin steep so I was going pretty fast when I hit the tree.

·
Registered
Tacoma
19 Posts
ill give ya 100 bucks for the donahoes!

j/k (although if youll take that for em i got dibs!)

glad youre alright

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
glad you survived.

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
can i get dibs on the rubber boot that goes around the head light bulb, i ripped mine, when i was installing my bi-xenon bulbs :( . Not to thread jack but if you bought used aftermarket parts how are you going to document that without a receipt to your insurance agency?

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
i'll be in LA next weekend and i can swap out your coilovers for the stock coil set up. :naughty:

·
p00pernickel
Toyota Tacoma
500 Posts
can i get dibs on the rubber boot that goes around the head light bulb, i ripped mine, when i was installing my bi-xenon bulbs :( . Not to thread jack but if you bought used aftermarket parts how are you going to document that without a receipt to your insurance agency?
Get the original receipt, or your screwed... its used shit anyways... what do you expect.

·
I aim for squirrels
2007 Tacoma Offroad
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'll be in LA next weekend and i can swap out your coilovers for the stock coil set up. :naughty:
I'll be out of town next weekend and I doubt it could wait that long anyway. The adjuster should be here Wed and will likely tow it away then.

I'll look and see if the headlight boot is ok. If so, I'll pull it off. Anybody else want anything little like that?

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm a little sore, but very freakin lucky and thankful that it didn't roll.

·
Hooray Beer
'08 DB LB 4x4
193 Posts
Uhh, the metal d-rings in the bed and the plastic d-rings?

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
can i have the backside of the center console? i want to redo my in cab inverter mod. it comes apart from the whole thing

the weather strip on the drivers side? someone stole mine :disappoin

the fuse box cover in the hood?

how about the bed cleats?

EDIT: nevermind the weatherstrip. i just noticed you have an access cab

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
I'd take the center window of the tinted sliding rear window if it is in like new condition... mine is scratched.

Nathan
ycart1201

1 - 20 of 28 Posts