Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Three Pedals
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As everyone knows, I wrecked my Taco two weekends ago coming back from skiing.

I was anxiously awaiting to hear from the insurance company on a) whether or not it was actually officially totaled (it was) and b) how much cashish i would get from them for replacement value.

I bought the '05 double cab TRD MT in late October of '05 brand new, at invoice, which was about $25,600 and change. (sticker was high 28's)

I wrecked it in mid January of '07. I had the truck for one year and three months.

I found out yesterday my insurance company is going to give me $25,000 for the wreckage, plus sales tax. So for owning the truck for 15 months, putting 34,000 miles on it, it depreciated only $600.

So not that any of us need to hear it, but toyotas hold their value very well.

What a country. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wow, that's really great! When I buy, I always make sure the dealer lists the actual sticker price on the contract (bump up everything equally including trade) so that the insurance company will pay out on the vehicle's actual sticker price in the event of a total loss. Looks like your company did that regardless. Now you can get a new Taco and not be broke! Glad to hear that.

·
Three Pedals
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tacobill said:
Wow, that's really great! When I buy, I always make sure the dealer lists the actual sticker price on the contract (bump up everything equally including trade) so that the insurance company will pay out on the vehicle's actual sticker price in the event of a total loss. Looks like your company did that regardless. Now you can get a new Taco and not be broke! Glad to hear that.
unfortunately, i don't think i'm going with a new taco...i'm going for the Fj Cruiser TRD SE MT.

gotta mix it up a bit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wrecked Taco

So what about your insurance company, how much are they going to nab you for ? Did you get a ticket at the crash ?
This great country will find a way to chip away at your pay out. Oh' well !

·
Registered
617 Posts
rpmspeedyBlue said:
That's great! :thumbup: Are you going to buy another Tacoma.?
He anwsered that 2 post up from your question.

MyNameIsTim said:
unfortunately, i don't think i'm going with a new taco...i'm going for the Fj Cruiser TRD SE MT.

gotta mix it up a bit.
But my question is why the Fj? Do you really only need a 2 seater with alot of blind spots?

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
Isn't that one of the main reasons we bought this truck? I plan on keeping it a while, but if I needed to unload it (or it got taken from me), it's nice to know the cost of ownership is the best there is for trucks.

·
Three Pedals
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
danaco said:
So what about your insurance company, how much are they going to nab you for ? Did you get a ticket at the crash ?
This great country will find a way to chip away at your pay out. Oh' well !
no ticket at the crash. I'll find out next week.

·
Three Pedals
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
integlikewhoa said:
But my question is why the Fj? Do you really only need a 2 seater with alot of blind spots?
Honestly? It looks sweet. Rides awesome. it's a 5 seater...it's got two suicide doors...

The TRD one is just awesome. let me find a picture...

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
integlikewhoa said:
A 2 - seater? Glad to see you checked the specs before commenting.

As for the FJ, nice choice. My wife wants to get one and I was seriously considering it myself before I purchased my 06 Access Cab 4x4 TRD, 6-sp manual. My only concern, if the wife gets the FJ, I'll want to start modding that as well.

MyNameIsTim - do you have any photos from the total? And was anything salvagable?

Glad to hear the insurance company took care of you.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
I'd bet you have Replacement cost insurance, it costs a little bit more, but the insurance company has to give you the money it would take to replace your tacoma with all the options that you had on it.... Usually they'll insist that you buy another Tacoma as you had before the wreck.... they feel that that cuts down on people committing insurance fraud by wrecking/totalling their vehicles just to get a brand new ride. You want to make sure that you can buy something else with the money before you go out and buy it..... just a heads up. congrats on not getting hurt!!!!!!

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
when i read the title i thought you were going to say the insurance company wasn't giving you enough for the truck. glad to hear it is the opposite of that. :thumbup:

·
Three Pedals
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zmtnbik said:

As for the FJ, nice choice. My wife wants to get one and I was seriously considering it myself before I purchased my 06 Access Cab 4x4 TRD, 6-sp manual. My only concern, if the wife gets the FJ, I'll want to start modding that as well.

MyNameIsTim - do you have any photos from the total? And was anything salvagable?

i do have 3 pics from the total...they're all here: http://toyotanation.com/forum/t175089.html

i managed to salvage the floor mats, and the bed cleats. bed cleats are sold, but the floor mats are still for sale if anyone's interested. i'll do 'em cheap!

·
Three Pedals
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
zmtnbik said:

here are better links: http://toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1598368&postcount=23

http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7645/cat/510

http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7646/cat/510

·
Registered
232 Posts
When my special ordered "bare bones" (MSRP just under $24K) yellow 4WD FJ Cruiser 6-speed arrived after a 4 month wait, I was ecstatic! I test drove it around the block and nearly side swiped another vehicle in the next lane because of the terrible visibilty. I returned to the dealership and ended up buying my #2 choice; a Tacoma with MUCH better visibility and a practical truck bed. I have no regrets, and love the truck. Please do a thorough test drive before signing the FJ papers!

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
TucsonTRD said:
when i read the title i thought you were going to say the insurance company wasn't giving you enough for the truck. glad to hear it is the opposite of that. :thumbup:
Ditto. I was fully expecting to hear a ripoff story. Glad to hear they took good care of you. What insurance company do you have?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just viewed your pictures - I travel to Manchester NH frequently in the winter to pick up friends/relatives at the airport. I can honestly say that if I see the passing lane wet and it's anywhere near dawn/dusk I watch for spray from passing vehicles. If I see no water spray I know it's starting to ice. If I see spraying water I know likely I'm safe.

I'm happy to see the "cage" of the Taco held up real well to your accident. Glad you are OK and got a fair payoff from your truck's insurance coverage. Goodluck on whatever you choose next.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts