Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all

My first post, so please bear with me.

I will try and keep this as short as I can. A few weeks ago we were experiencing some very hot weather here (Long Island, NY). and one day at lunch I got in my car and my touch screen was completely cracked, and spidered out in all directions. Now the screen temp display was 90 degrees outside, while inside I'm sure well over 110. I have a black leather interior. Called Toyota, brought it in to service, and to my non surprise they had never seen anything like that before. Ok fine. They take it in the back to survey more and take pictures. Service rep comes out to talk me and my wife, mind you he never said anything to us prior while car was in back. He says "I feel that based on my findings that heat did cause this to crack, and I've ordered a new unit." "I've put it in the notes that it doesn't appear that this was damaged in any way from a foreign object...etc...". So my wife then says "So, you are sure this will be covered?" His answer "80% sure it will be". Ohhhhk then. Still not feeling all warm and fuzzies about this. He left us by saying its in the system for approval by the district mgr. Ok, fast forward 5 days. I discovered crack on a Friday. Unit was due to arrive in this timeframe. We call, get the same service guy........"yes the unit is on order, but my manager has denied the replacement, saying the heat could not have caused this. That is where the other 20% comes into play when service was 80% sure it would be covered. But I knew he jumped the gun initially, as I found it odd that he would order a $4000 unit with the confidence that Toyota would fit the bill. Next step is to contact corporate. Which we have. We are awaiting for the Toyota rep who will review the "case" to contact us. And I don't know what my chances are of this person doing something.

My Highlander is a lease, and is still under warranty.

My question to all is..........What are my chances that they do, in the end, replace this no charge? Has anyone had a similar experience? What are my other options? Car is due to be turned in end next summer.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you all for your time and suggestions.

Ray

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,861 Posts
WTF!
I would be searching the other forums of your year car. In any model to see if this has happened before. I'd start with at least 2014 models and up.
Never heard of spontaneous, heat induced cracking.
BUT, if someone had some greasy fingers....Or a combo of that with a focused light due to some window or glass bending light...surely possible.

BTW, I have a stock Entune LE head unit sitting in a box. If it fits, and you don't get this resolved, let me know :)

Reactions: Ray S

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
About a year ago someone else had this same problem. Not sure what the outcome was though.

Do a google search. There are companies that make custom screens. Should be cheaper then a new Etune system

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,287 Posts
Cracked screen

My question to all is..........What are my chances that they do, in the end, replace this no charge? Has anyone had a similar experience? What are my other options? Car is due to be turned in end next summer.Please let me know your thoughts.Thank you all for your time and suggestions.
Yeah, oem screen is $$$$ to replace. Grey area (so to speak) May/maynot be covered under warr.? Dealer or toyo may/maynot help you towards cost of replacement. Wait for final decision & go from there. Good luck on outcome.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,861 Posts
If it wasn't a lease it would be a calling to get a aftermarket head unit and free yourself from the Entune BS and limitations.

Reactions: Ray S

·
Registered
16 HL Limited Plat
153 Posts
Living in Florida wth a black HL I have to say the heat did not cause the screen to crack by itself. However, a screen that had been badly installed, too tight as an example, might be more likely to crack with heat as the added factor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply. At this point I see no signs that it will be resolved. My HL is an XLE.

Is it the same unit as the LE?

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,861 Posts
No, its not the same.
It would fit and maybe make it under the radar of a lease, but they are different at least in size, and downloading apps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello.I have kind of the same story. I am an owner of 2018 Toyota Camry XLE with only 15 K miles on odometer. My touch screen also cracked lately due to a sun heat (apparently it was a micro-crack prior) and have some additional cracking started as well. Planning to go to court and file a law suit against Toyota. Case is open at Toyota headquarter, they are denying that glass is defective.They're saying that i accidentally hit it with my keys or something.I did not do it.Glass can't be replaced and new audio touch screen unit cost is $4000.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Ray. I have same story with 2018 Toyota Camry XLE. Glass cracking from no impact from my side. I am the only driver and noticed few day ago, when it was hot in California , that my touch screen had cracked from heat when my car was park under a sun in parking lot from my work place.There are 2 more cracks which are discovered by service advisor and myself lately. Toyota denying on replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think you should talk to your car insurance company. This could be an insurance claim. Damage covered by insurance does not have to be from an accident.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I can't believe they want 4000 for that lackluster system. Toyota should be ashamed of themselves. I think the decision makers are just wanting you to put their kids thru college.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Friend of mine has a 2 old Cadillac. The screen cracked on a hot day. Cadillac dealer offered no resistance at all and cheerfully replaced it at no charge. Shame on Toyota for not doing the same. If they did that to me I’d never buy another one. That’s bad business to not stand behind your product!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Ray. I have same story with 2018 Toyota Camry XLE. Glass cracking from no impact from my side. I am the only driver and noticed few day ago, when it was hot in California , that my touch screen had cracked from heat when my car was park under a sun in parking lot from my work place.There are 2 more cracks which are discovered by service advisor and myself lately. Toyota denying on replacement.
Hello ray, I am facing the same issue for my Toyota camry 2018 XSE, have you got any solution from Toyota? Or do you found any tird-party fixes for the top glass?

·
Registered
13 Highlander AWD
726 Posts
Toyota's refusal to take responsibility of issues like this is probably the main reason my next vehicle will not be another Toyota. I own two Toyotas, a 2nd gen 2013 Highlander and a 3rd gen 2016 Sienna. The Highlander has been great, but the Sienna has more rattles than my Dodge GC. Toyota may have built some great cars and trucks in the past, but they are clearly cutting corners now and making a lot of engineering miss steps such as transmission problems, engine droning, gas door hinges breaking, lock actuators failing, sun visors failing, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello to all

My first post, so please bear with me.

I will try and keep this as short as I can. A few weeks ago we were experiencing some very hot weather here (Long Island, NY). and one day at lunch I got in my car and my touch screen was completely cracked, and spidered out in all directions. Now the screen temp display was 90 degrees outside, while inside I'm sure well over 110. I have a black leather interior. Called Toyota, brought it in to service, and to my non surprise they had never seen anything like that before. Ok fine. They take it in the back to survey more and take pictures. Service rep comes out to talk me and my wife, mind you he never said anything to us prior while car was in back. He says "I feel that based on my findings that heat did cause this to crack, and I've ordered a new unit." "I've put it in the notes that it doesn't appear that this was damaged in any way from a foreign object...etc...". So my wife then says "So, you are sure this will be covered?" His answer "80% sure it will be". Ohhhhk then. Still not feeling all warm and fuzzies about this. He left us by saying its in the system for approval by the district mgr. Ok, fast forward 5 days. I discovered crack on a Friday. Unit was due to arrive in this timeframe. We call, get the same service guy........"yes the unit is on order, but my manager has denied the replacement, saying the heat could not have caused this. That is where the other 20% comes into play when service was 80% sure it would be covered. But I knew he jumped the gun initially, as I found it odd that he would order a $4000 unit with the confidence that Toyota would fit the bill. Next step is to contact corporate. Which we have. We are awaiting for the Toyota rep who will review the "case" to contact us. And I don't know what my chances are of this person doing something.

My Highlander is a lease, and is still under warranty.

My question to all is..........What are my chances that they do, in the end, replace this no charge? Has anyone had a similar experience? What are my other options? Car is due to be turned in end next summer.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you all for your time and suggestions.

Ray
I have the same problem!

·
Registered
2 Posts

i have the same problem!!! I went out of town for 3 days
I come back (mind you I took my car keys with me no one was able to get in my car at all). I come back get in my car to start it up and I see this crack all on my screen! Exactly like the one above!
I took it to Toyota said sun or heat cannot cause this and that they have to investigate it! I’m waiting for a phone call from corporate Toyota for further investigation.
it’s odd because the one who posted this in the first place has the same exact crack as mine!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts