Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was in the passing lane on a parkway Friday and was approaching a gravel truck that was in the right hand lane. Just as I got within about 100 feet of the back of that truck, he hit a bump, and gravel started flying everywhere. It peppered the front of my car.

As I went on by him, I noticed that there was gravel all over the back of that dump bed. There was a ledge going across the bed beneath the tail gate, and gravel was piled up on it. No wonder gravel went flying when he hit the bump.

Anyway, I discovered a bunch of new chips in my paint on the bumper and on the hood when I stopped for gas a little later. I called my insurance, and my comprehensive insurance will cover the cost of repainting the bumper and hood with no deductible. So, it would not cost me a dime to have the bumper and hood repainted.

The chips are small, the largest being about the size of a pin head. There were twenty new chips on the bumper and six on the hood

Should I just touch up the chips and live with them, or should I have the hood and bumper repainted? The car is less than four months old, and I would hate to lose the factory paint, although it sure seems to chip easily.

What would you guys do? Repaint the hood and bumper or touch up the chips?

Tom

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
it depends how many chips you get a year. for me i daily drive my car for around an hour a day. i atleast get one tiny chip everyday so its worthless for me to repaint my front. but it sounds like you dont get many chips so id probably advise you to repaint it and get a clear bra.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,744 Posts
Some of the best money I spent on my 3M Clear Bra for both my Corolla & Matrix. :thumbsup:

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
A syringe full of touch up paint is a great way to fill rock chips. Fill them slowly until level full and move to the next one. Most will be close to invisible when dry (on many colors)

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A syringe full of touch up paint is a great way to fill rock chips. Fill them slowly until level full and move to the next one. Most will be close to invisible when dry (on many colors)
You know what, I am gonna have to try that! I can see how that would most likely work very well like you say it does.

Thanks for the tip!

Tom

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
You know what, I am gonna have to try that! I can see how that would most likely work very well like you say it does.

Thanks for the tip!

Tom
You are welcome Tom. I've used it for years with great results.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
hmm I'll have to try this;) lol where would I get a syringe:D:confused:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,744 Posts
What type & size of syringe?

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the car to the shop that does all of my body work. Those guys are top notch, and I have done business with them for many years.

The shop manager told me that he would recommend that I touch up the spots and live with them rather than give up my factory paint on such a new car.

I'll see what I can do. I still have the option of filing a claim on my insurance and having the hood and bumper repainted if I am not satisfied with my touch up job.

I might just have to try that syringe method!

Tom

·
Registered
272 Posts
3m Clear bra is a great idea. Worth the money. Only problem is around here, London Ontario, so hard to find any shops that do. Only a couple in the city and they're not very reputable. Does anyone know of any places in London or area that does this?

·
Registered
180 Posts
3m Clear bra is a great idea. Worth the money. Only problem is around here, London Ontario, so hard to find any shops that do. Only a couple in the city and they're not very reputable. Does anyone know of any places in London or area that does this?
Burwell Autobody on york Street. Best shop in the city.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Am I making too big of a deal about keeping the factory paint? Should I go ahead and have the hood and front bumper repainted, since it can be done with no cost to me under my comprehensive insurance?

It really, really bugs me thinking about all of those chips on a car that is less than four months old. :disappoin

I might just proceed with the claim. What do you guys think? The body shop that I would use does excellent work and would stand behind it for as long as I own the car.

I know the new paint would begin to accumulate chips, but I like the idea of a fresh start. I can't find a dealer for that clear bra 3M stuff anywhere near me, or else I would probably go with that after the repaint. That might void the warranty on the new paint job, though.

Tom

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I decided that I just HAVE to get those places fixed the right way. I am having the body shop repaint my bumper and hood. I told the shop manager that I could live with the hood being touched up, since there are so few chips on it, but I left it up to him if he thought it would be best to paint the hood as well as the bumper. My guess is that he will paint the hood.

Tom

·
Toyota Addict
2018 Camry XSE
752 Posts
OK, I decided that I just HAVE to get those places fixed the right way. I am having the body shop repaint my bumper and hood. I told the shop manager that I could live with the hood being touched up, since there are so few chips on it, but I left it up to him if he thought it would be best to paint the hood as well as the bumper. My guess is that he will paint the hood.

Tom
:thumbsup:

I would ask she shop doing paintwork about the clear bra. As a normal rule your clear coat is loaded with solvents that take up to 60-90 days to evaporate out. If you trap them in there your paint can never truly cure and will remain soft.

Same reason you should wait the 60-90 days to wax fresh paint.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The car goes into the shop on Monday, October 18, 2010. I feel like I have made the right decision by pursuing the insurance claim and having the bumper repainted.

Thanks for all the good advice you guys have offered in this thread. If I can find an installer that I would have confidence in, I might go ahead with the clear bra after giving the new paint and clear coat time to cure.

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts