Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the towing package dealer installable, that is if there is a tacoma on the lot without it, can the dealer mount the hitch and wiring, or does the package include oil cooler, larger capacity alternator, etc. which must be built in at the factory?

·
Tacomania
200 Posts
It includes a 130 amp alt., which the non-towing package trucks don't have.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Unfortunately, the towing package is a factory-installed option that includes a different wire harness, large capacity alternator, and oil cooler.

Your best bet would be to "preference" or order a truck that includes the tow package from the dealer.

kartracer said:
Is the towing package dealer installable, that is if there is a tacoma on the lot without it, can the dealer mount the hitch and wiring, or does the package include oil cooler, larger capacity alternator, etc. which must be built in at the factory?

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
My 04 had a different radiator fan too..

Do me a huge favor please?

Look at the shaft on the radiator fan and tell me what color the paint is. You should see it easily...

Just curious to see if they used the same color codes on the fan shaft.......

Pink?

Green?

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Thanks for that, we went through this before about the towing package, but I never get any of the non-towing package people to respond!

I want to know if Toyota changed the color indicator on the fan shaft for the NON "towing package equipped" trucks. Or if they are all using the same fans on the 05+ models.

·
KBultaco
05 tacoma 4x4 lb
95 Posts
I have a non-towing package Tacoma, I just checked and my fan shaft is pink. I think there is a joke on there somewhere. I not familiar with towing capabilities and options. My 03 4-Runner has the square hitch in the back. It's been useful on occasions when towing various post hole diggers, ditch witch, etc.

From your alls experience, can you suggest what the dealer can add to my Tacoma for towing, if anything, 05 DC LB What limitations would I have? I not looking to pull anything big.
Thanks in advance,
KBULLL

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Well that's that. Now we know that they finally standardized the fans. It was more of a PITA with the pre 05 Tacos..

Good to know. That question has been driving me nuts for a while now.

I would kick it back to the dealer if you want it to be warranteed. Especially with a towing package, the dealer will be quick to claim you were at fault for anything that goes wrong with the engine or drivetrain down the road.

IMO

·
KBultaco
05 tacoma 4x4 lb
95 Posts
Thanks 55,

Good advice, I never thought of the warranty aspects, especially since I have the 100K mile extended warranty. I'll check with the dealer. If I can't tow with the Tacoma, my 03 4-Runner with the 4.7L has pretty good power for my needs.

Best
Kbulll

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
kbultaco said:
Thanks 55,

Good advice, I never thought of the warranty aspects, especially since I have the 100K mile extended warranty. I'll check with the dealer. If I can't tow with the Tacoma, my 03 4-Runner with the 4.7L has pretty good power for my needs.

Best
Kbulll
I'm not saying that you couldn't add a towing package with aftermarket parts and get the dealer to back you. But what I'm getting at is that with all the required specs to keep it within "limits", you might spend more time than the money is worth tracking down all the odds and ends to keep it "kosher"..

If it's a dealer installed setup, and they come back later with something about the engine/clutch/tranny/rear end failure was due to overheating/unusual wear, etc caused by an improperly installed towing package, you could pull the dealership paperwork out from the dealer that put it in and your ass would be covered without any questions asked.

·
KBultaco
05 tacoma 4x4 lb
95 Posts
Hey 55,
Point well made, I'll check with the Toyota dealer that I have the truck serviced at to see what my ROI is.
Thanks,
Kbullll

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
The v6 Prerunners/4x4's tow limit without the factory tow package is 5,000 lbs when you add on a class 3 hitch.

The tow package equipped trucks tow limit is 6500 lbs.

All others are 3500 off the bumper with a 500 lb max tongue weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts