Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a 2005 Camry 4cyl 5 speed manual, bought new still a great car at 119k miles. It can tow up to 2000 lbs according to the manual. No more
towing these days with new passenger cars most of them say NR to towing. I have the new car bug now and have driven and like the new RAV-4. It has a 1500 lb
tow rating. I tow my fishing boat ( a 16 'Lund ) 1000 lbs boat motor and trailer.
and the Camry does ok with the boat but climbing the mountains out here in
Colorado is a bit of a chore for it. It does not overheat but it taxes it to climb
up to high altitude with the boat. Does anyone have any experience in towing
with a RAV? Wondering how well the RAV will tow the boat ( AWD ) or must
I go to the extra expense of a tow package equipped Venza or Highlander for an occasional trip to the mountains with the boat. I love Toyota vehicles and would like to stick with one. Don't really want a truck and as a single guy don't really want a big SUV . I also like the Suburu outback (2700 lbs towing) but am a bit weary of the CVT trans for towing.
Thank you for any advise. Coastalguy

·
Registered
710 Posts
I currently drive a 2005 Camry 4cyl 5 speed manual, bought new still a great car at 119k miles. It can tow up to 2000 lbs according to the manual. No more
towing these days with new passenger cars most of them say NR to towing. I have the new car bug now and have driven and like the new RAV-4. It has a 1500 lb
tow rating. I tow my fishing boat ( a 16 'Lund ) 1000 lbs boat motor and trailer.
and the Camry does ok with the boat but climbing the mountains out here in
Colorado is a bit of a chore for it. It does not overheat but it taxes it to climb
up to high altitude with the boat. Does anyone have any experience in towing
with a RAV? Wondering how well the RAV will tow the boat ( AWD ) or must
I go to the extra expense of a tow package equipped Venza or Highlander for an occasional trip to the mountains with the boat. I love Toyota vehicles and would like to stick with one. Don't really want a truck and as a single guy don't really want a big SUV . I also like the Suburu outback (2700 lbs towing) but am a bit weary of the CVT trans for towing.
Thank you for any advise. Coastalguy

My son has towed using a 2007 Rav4 without problems.
I tow a 2500 pound tent trailer with my 2009 Highlander Hybrid. The CVT doesn't seem to be a problem towing half a dozen times a year.
Installing the hitch on the Rav4 was pretty easy, but best with a helper.
Most vehicles would probably struggle in the Colorado mountains.

·
Registered
300 Posts
the Camry does ok with the boat but climbing the mountains out here in Colorado is a bit of a chore for it. It does not overheat but it taxes it to climb up to high altitude with the boat.
Have you considered a 2012 V6 RAV? I know its not new, but it's probably the best RAV ever made for towing. It would give you a lot more giddyup for mountain performance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a Class III tow hitch on my V6 AWD. It can be done, just be careful. The rear springs are really weak, watch out for sagging rear unless you do some aftermarket upgrades.
Dr J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts