Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
As this question - towing and hitches - will be asked routinely, all of them will be now in one merged thread.

Has anyone had an OEM hitch receiver installed on the 2020 Limited or Platinum yet? The hands-free liftgate is apparently an issue. Last I heard, Toyota was trying to figure out a work-around. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
7,722 Posts
Recent articles sound like Toyota knows about it but hasn't come up with a fix. Current pandemic is causing them issues in Japan too. Likely update is said to be coming out in Early May. So my local dealer says,FWIW.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In terms of a factory solution, I think what @sdspeed said is right. Some people have had the Toyota hitch fitted by dealers who replaced the bumper fascia with that of a lower trim, which deletes the kick sensor hardware.

In terms of an aftermarket solution, there is a thread going in the non-hybrid forum where someone had success with the Curt 13453. It sits immediately below the existing fascia and the kick sensor still works (they posted a video).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Odd that the reviewer on etrailer says "Kicker tailgate will not work in any position after installation" but there is at least one person here who installed the same hitch and the motion sensor is working for them.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited
117 Posts
Odd that the reviewer on etrailer says "Kicker tailgate will not work in any position after installation" but there is at least one person here who installed the same hitch and the motion sensor is working for them.
Reading through that thread. Yes, only one person claims the motion sensor still works for him while many others say it doesn't. That person also use the CURT 13453 which were made for older HL, not for 2020. According to CURT and eTrailer, the one for HL 2020 is C99FR.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That person also use the CURT 13453 which were made for older HL, not for 2020.
I don't think that's quite right. The Curt model for older HL (eg 2019) is 13394. If you look at the installation sheet for the 13453 on the Curt website, it is definitely for the 2020. (That same person who has a working kick sensor with the 13453 started off with the DrawTite 76156, which is for previous years - is that what you're thinking of?)

According to CURT and eTrailer, the one for HL 2020 is C99FR.
C99FR appears to be eTrailer's part number for the Curt 13453. I believe they are the exact same hitch. As confirmation, you can go to the eTrailer C99FR page and look at the installation sheet - it says 13453 on it, and indeed is the exact same PDF as the one on Curt's website that I linked to above.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited
117 Posts
I don't think that's quite right. The Curt model for older HL (eg 2019) is 13394. If you look at the installation sheet for the 13453 on the Curt website, it is definitely for the 2020. (That same person who has a working kick sensor with the 13453 started off with the DrawTite 76156, which is for previous years - is that what you're thinking of?)

C99FR appears to be eTrailer's part number for the Curt 13453. I believe they are the exact same hitch. As confirmation, you can go to the eTrailer C99FR page and look at the installation sheet - it says 13453 on it, and indeed is the exact same PDF as the one on Curt's website that I linked to above.
You're right! C99FR and 13453 are the same thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Failed to grab a great used 2019 highlander hybrid...stupid move on my part. toyota does say our 2020 model can two 3,500 and I am picking up a used 21’ travel trailer that weights 3,000lb up in NY later next month. I guess most feel it would be crazy to do it with the 4 cylinder engine though. Plus it trailer will be tower then the suv though it will have a V nose.

·
Registered
353 Posts
From personal experience....the worst kind of towing is with a short wheelbase vehicle...and the middle of Summer on old (trailer) tires. Unless it is a lease vehicle...I would find something else, like an 8' bed pickup (preferably a club cab) or a Suburban. A short wheelbase vehicle can get easily "steered" by the trailer on a downhill grade with a curve at the bottom or just an 18 wheeler blasting past at 20 mph faster than you are going. Not saying it can't be done (just because you can doesn't mean you should). There is no low gear to slow the trailer besides the brakes. How it gets out of hand is a little dip in the road @ 60 mph and a slight sideways movement...somebody pulling in too close in front to get off of an exit at the last minute..."it" can turn to shighte fast....Unless you have a lot of towing experience, I would not learn on a $40K? vehicle.

Afterwards it should be fine to tow on rolling hills, but I would avoid the Appalachian mountains or larger, for towing. If you were talking about a popup camper, you would not have asked anyway.

Pay somebody $500 on uship to bring it to you.

·
Super Moderator
8,856 Posts

Yours will be not much different. If T says 3500 lb, it is 3500 lb. 4 cyl or not. Silverado has 4cyl turbo engine and does fine. What you definitely want is trailer harness and electric brakes on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well the rv shop in NY wants to sell me a $800 sway and Distribution control set they have yet to emailing me information about. I will be towing a 2011 Jayco Skylark 21ft (they only made them for two years). The trailer has brakes although it is only a single axle trailer (one wheel each side). I will check to see if that $800 includes a brake controller for inside the suv or not. I have an old one from my 05 highlander I could take up for them to connect or better yet have that done local I figure ahead of time. Might see family end of July up in Indiana so would drive up from FL to pickup the RV at that time.

·
Registered
353 Posts

Maybe these 2 threads should be merged?

·
Super Moderator
8,856 Posts
Well, I'd rather not. This is, in my opinion, experimental year, with a 4 cyl for a large vehicle. I'd suspect lots of bugs to show, and it does appear to be so.
I'd let it be for now, as 2020 dedicated. We can always merge them.

·
Super Moderator
8,856 Posts
Just keep in mind that hybrids have special requirements for tow hitch hardware because of the underbelly and RWD design difference. Also, as hybrid battery is back there, I'd be very careful if someone tells you you need to drill any holes.
To behonest, if you were to only bring trailer back home from FL, I'd rather rent a truck and tow it. Not that much expense but heluva safer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just keep in mind that hybrids have special requirements for tow hitch hardware because of the underbelly and RWD design difference.
I'm curious what you're basing this on? Toyota's installation guides for the factory hitch and wiring components indicate they apply equally to the hybrid vehicles and there is no drilling of the vehicle to install, they bolt into the same frame holes as on the gas model. Even for the aftermarket hitches. The only destructive step is the optional trimming of a plastic shield (optional because you can simply not reinstall the shield). Is there something you're aware of that I'm missing?

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are a number of relevant threads over on the non-hybrid forum for the 2020 Highlander. You can put an aftermarket hitch on the higher trim levels, and some people even find the kick sensor is working with them on. One owner even did the work of transplanting the kick sensor into a bumper fascia from a lower trim in order to use the factory hitch without deleting the sensor. Lots of ways to tow if you want to.

·
Registered
353 Posts
From personal experience....the worst kind of towing is with a short wheelbase vehicle.
The 27-year-old was driving a Chevy Tahoe in Henry County, Tennessee when it began drifting across the median, triggering a rollover sequence. No other cars were involved.

No idea how short or long the boat was, but these things can happen with a short wheelbase vehicle. 2007 Tahoe is 116" wheelbase, same year Suburban 130"...…. 14" more wheelbase (less leverage) a trailer has on the tow vehicle.

2020 Toyota Highlander wheelbase 112.2"

2020 Dodge 2500 standard cab 8' bed 140" WB
2020 Dodge 2500 crew cab 8'bed 169" WB

Too many people dyeing lately over bad decisions.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts