Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid 2020
404 Posts
Please look at this video related to stability:

In a lot of the video shown above, it is OBVIOUS that the payload is in the back of the trailer. This is unstable and the cause of the crash.

jf

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just pulled a pop up camper this last weekend rented from rvshare. Wanted to see how the hybrid system performed before buying one. The owner said it was about 2000 lbs, had about 500 lbs of stuff between the vehicle and car and 3 kids in the highlander.

I have a hybrid awd limited highlander and it did just fine. Used Toyota’s converter and 4 pin flat connector to get trailer lights and a the curt hitch for the trailer connection. No problems what so ever. I will be expanding to the 7 pin adapter to power a trailer with brakes in the future as I’m looking to get a 3000+ lb trailer soon. Either RPod 193, NoBo 16.6, or EPro 19BHS. I’m a fan of bunk houses. The rpod is over the limit but the other two are close.

Those trailers are all at the limit of the towing per Toyota so I’m not sure if I’ll pull the trigger and buy one or not. To me, it isn’t about stability as putting weight in the front of the trailer is positive in terms of stability margin, it is about total weight the hybrid power train can pull. Stability vs tongue weight is the constraint here IMO. This is because the gas highlander is the same wheelbase. Only relevant difference I see is the gas engine/transmission on towing capability.

Anyways, the next RV I rent will be heavier to see what the system can actually handle.

On a separate note, I ran an extension cord from the highlander to the camper. Was able to run the fan overnight and in the morning a toaster. Was awesome as it kept the kiddos cool and fed. Nice feature Toyota! Now, send an over the air update that prevents the vehicle from auto shutoff after an hour!! I had to get up a couple times to restart the vehicle and turn on the inverters when I would rather sleep ;)

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
1,136 Posts
On a separate note, I ran an extension cord from the highlander to the camper. Was able to run the fan overnight and in the morning a toaster. Was awesome as it kept the kiddos cool and fed. Nice feature Toyota! Now, send an over the air update that prevents the vehicle from auto shutoff after an hour!! I had to get up a couple times to restart the vehicle and turn on the inverters when I would rather sleep ;)
You can disable the automatic shutoff by locking the door from the inside of the vehicle or using the mechanical key to lock the door from the outside. Obviously, that means running the extension cord through a partially-opened window.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just pulled a pop up camper this last weekend rented from rvshare. Wanted to see how the hybrid system performed before buying one. The owner said it was about 2000 lbs, had about 500 lbs of stuff between the vehicle and car and 3 kids in the highlander.

I have a hybrid awd limited highlander and it did just fine. Used Toyota’s converter and 4 pin flat connector to get trailer lights and a the curt hitch for the trailer connection. No problems what so ever. I will be expanding to the 7 pin adapter to power a trailer with brakes in the future as I’m looking to get a 3000+ lb trailer soon. Either RPod 193, NoBo 16.6, or EPro 19BHS. I’m a fan of bunk houses. The rpod is over the limit but the other two are close.

Those trailers are all at the limit of the towing per Toyota so I’m not sure if I’ll pull the trigger and buy one or not. To me, it isn’t about stability as putting weight in the front of the trailer is positive in terms of stability margin, it is about total weight the hybrid power train can pull. Stability vs tongue weight is the constraint here IMO. This is because the gas highlander is the same wheelbase. Only relevant difference I see is the gas engine/transmission on towing capability.

Anyways, the next RV I rent will be heavier to see what the system can actually handle.

If you can what type of MPG were you obtaining when towing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can disable the automatic shutoff by locking the door from the inside of the vehicle or using the mechanical key to lock the door from the outside. Obviously, that means running the extension cord through a partially-opened window.

Have you been able to get this to work? I saw your post in the generator thread and tried to do it but it didn’t work. I did both linking with key and looking with window open from the inside of the highlander. Both failed and the car shutdown after an hour. I’d be interested in if anyone got this to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you can what type of MPG were you obtaining when towing?
It was a portion of the fuel tank but I would estimate 28 or so MPG while pulling it since I get 35MPG most of the time. I got 33mpg on that tank with mostly city driving and pulling a moving trailer too. So, I’d say it did pretty good pulling it.

That pop up has a small frontal area too so it should not cause much highway drag, in the wake of the highlander. Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
1,136 Posts
Have you been able to get this to work? I saw your post in the generator thread and tried to do it but it didn’t work. I did both linking with key and looking with window open from the inside of the highlander. Both failed and the car shutdown after an hour. I’d be interested in if anyone got this to work.

I’m still waiting for my Highlander Hybrid (ordered in February).

I don’t know of anyone who has actually tried to disable the auto shutoff. Perhaps it doesn’t allow the window to be open. Is there any other way to run the extension cord out? Perhaps closing the hatch on the cord or going through the moonroof?

It would be a shame if the auto-shutoff couldn’t be disabled. I was hoping to be able to sleep for a few hours in the vehicle with climate control and the window open a little for ventilation.

·
Registered
834 Posts

Definitely try pulling a taller trailer before you make your buying decision. I have pulled a pop up all over the country with my Honda Odyssey (actually 500 lbs above the rated weight) with no issues because of the low profile. The tow vehicle cuts the air and the trailer comes along in the same air stream. In other towing scenarios I pulled an enclosed U-Haul trailer at 1/2 the weight of the camper with a front wall still lower and more aerodynamic than many travel trailers and it pulled harder than my camper and struggled to hold 65 mph on flat ground. Not a direct comparison of course, but worth noting. I have towed many other trailers over the last 40+ years and have always observed that frontal area is far more impactful on how a trailer tows than weight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ran it out through the trunk (the vehicle showed it closed) and it worked great. Just couldn’t get it to stay on. Also, i had a mild panic attack at the campsite when I locked the car reaching through the drivers window (from the outside) and then used the auto up to close the car. Car on in EV mode but wouldn’t then unlock with the car key fob. Either with button or comfort access. Then I remembered there was an actually key in the keyfob and was able to get it to open on the drivers side using it.

For a few moments, I was like WTF I can’t get in my car that is on! :(. So, I can see some poor fool locking his key in the car accidentally....

Also, I did hit the power limit. Tried to power an Dometic AC unit. Hit either a wattage limit or more likely an AMP limit. Car shutoff the inverter and wouldn’t let me power it. Perhaps I should put some more comments about my experience in the other thread.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Definitely try pulling a taller trailer before you make your buying decision. I have pulled a pop up all over the country with my Honda Odyssey (actually 500 lbs above the rated weight) with no issues because of the low profile. The tow vehicle cuts the air and the trailer comes along in the same air stream. In other towing scenarios I pulled an enclosed U-Haul trailer at 1/2 the weight of the camper with a front wall still lower and more aerodynamic than many travel trailers and it pulled harder than my camper and struggled to hold 65 mph on flat ground. Not a direct comparison of course, but worth noting. I have towed many other trailers over the last 40+ years and have always observed that frontal area is far more impactful on how a trailer tows than weight.
Great insight. I’ll be sure to rent one before buying to see how it goes. Maybe still this summer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We purchased a 2020 Jayco Travel Trailer Baja SLX 16.6 Ft. (max loaded weight about 3,100 lbs.) Pulling it with our 2020 Highlander Hybrid model LE / AWD was no problem. The motor does work harder especially climbing mountain passes when driving to Bend Oregon from near Salem Oregon, quite an elevation change.

Indicated MPG from the dash was 14.8 MPG. On level ground at safe highway speeds, 55-60 MPG expect about 18-20 MPG. This trailer has a high profile, not very aerodynamic, as it is designed for off road camping. Our MPG is increasing now with over 2,000 miles on the odometer. Without the trailer at highway speeds, 55-65 MPH, mpg is 38-40 mpg. MPG gauge without the trailer filling up just north of Salem Oregon to our home in Seaside Oregon the dash read 42.8 MPG with 93.3 miles.When checking the odometer for accuracy on a 5 miles measured mile area on Interstate Highway 5, north of Salem Oregon the odometer reads slightly negative. So based on that if your odometer reads 100 miles you actually traveled 101.5 miles. I don't know if all 2020 Highlanders are off but I know ours is based on that. That 5 miles section was measured by the Oregon Dept. of Transportation just for that purpose of checking your odometer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We purchased a 2020 Jayco Travel Trailer Baja SLX 16.6 Ft. (max loaded weight about 3,100 lbs.) Pulling it with our 2020 Highlander Hybrid model LE / AWD was no problem. The motor does work harder especially climbing mountain passes when driving to Bend Oregon from near Salem Oregon, quite an elevation change.

Indicated MPG from the dash was 14.8 MPG. On level ground at safe highway speeds, 55-60 MPG expect about 18-20 MPG. This trailer has a high profile, not very aerodynamic, as it is designed for off road camping. Our MPG is increasing now with over 2,000 miles on the odometer. Without the trailer at highway speeds, 55-65 MPH, mpg is 38-40 mpg. MPG gauge without the trailer filling up just north of Salem Oregon to our home in Seaside Oregon the dash read 42.8 MPG with 93.3 miles.When checking the odometer for accuracy on a 5 miles measured mile area on Interstate Highway 5, north of Salem Oregon the odometer reads slightly negative. So based on that if your odometer reads 100 miles you actually traveled 101.5 miles. I don't know if all 2020 Highlanders are off but I know ours is based on that. That 5 miles section was measured by the Oregon Dept. of Transportation just for that purpose of checking your odometer.
Here is a photo.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Darn, my Jayco skylark is 21’ long though about 3,000 lbs. Will find out soon enough when I go pick it up at the rv dealer. Will be interesting to see just how low my mpg will drop when towing. That plus find out if vw bugs go flying by due to me drivng so slow trying to get up to speed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For the "tow converter" PT725-48200 installation, once I recovered the bolt I dropped (and that took 45 minutes as it teased me just ducking out of reach in the netherlands under the trim under the third row seat) the install was pretty easy. From your favorite source procure something like a
OEMTOOLS 25314

Trim Fastener & Molding Removal Tool Kit

to take the trim/molding off, go slow and you can do it. With bolt recovery it took perhaps an hour and a half. My advice is save the Toyota labor charge and do it yourself.....the dropping of the bolt is optional however, and NOT highly recommended. If I still had that trained gerbil it would have been so much easier.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A ’short’ run from Erie PA to GA. Got at right about 16mpg. Mix of driving speeds. She will pull the TT though it is work for that 4cyc engine. When the left dial needle hits the PWR (think it is denoted as such) area which might be 2 o’clock on a face watch dial the engine is loud indeed. I would guess a 2019 6cyc hybrid would not feel the TT behind it much at all compared to this 2020 model.

Do wonder what the 2019 hybrid would get mpg wise. If it was near 12-14mp then I would feel the older v6 hybrid would be a better tow vehicle by far. Just my thoughts at the moment.

I realize I will tow, at most 25% of the time so I should be happy getting 36mp when not towing. Though I wonder if the 2019 hybrid could get say 30/32mpg. If that is the case then it would be worth it to me to lose the mpg for the extra power of the v6. Live and learn...

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Only naive will believe, that, 4 cyl is superior somehow to V 6 and V6 - to V8. Both Toyota 3.0 and 3.5 V6s are great engine, reliable, torquey and very suitable for heavier jobs. Thing with hybrids is not V6, it's how power ir delivered to the wheels - via motor generator. Hence lowered towing rating.
Folks had concerns with 4cyl in vehicle of this size before their release and now it starts showing itself.
Also, think logically. To ensure adequate power to V6, they have to really overstress that 4cyl engine. Using higher compression, blowers, etc. To do same job, V6 does yawning. How long, do you think, that stressed out engine will last?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, They figure it should last at least as long as the warranty one figures :)
I was simply replying to a post by another owner. No, a 4 cyc will not be the same as a 6. That is a given. Still it is good to have better insight into how this 2020 hybrid model behaves when pulling 3,000 lbs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Who’s being naive? I agree with motor... we just want to see what it is capable of and what others experiences have been. Do you own a 2020 hybrid highlander?

21 - 40 of 70 Posts