Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
UCF_RosenKnight..... I found this out when I took my HH XLE to get hitch installed. I thought it was prewired....nothing. The guy spent 5 hours on it and added a 7 pin with Curt EBrake system and Curt Hitch. Cost much more than anticipated like $800.00 but given the labor and what he had to do I was ok with that. Uhaul quoted me less but I didn't trust them based on reviews and they could only put a 4 pin in. Haven't tested my hitch yet.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited
116 Posts
UCF_RosenKnight..... I found this out when I took my HH XLE to get hitch installed. I thought it was prewired....nothing. The guy spent 5 hours on it and added a 7 pin with Curt EBrake system and Curt Hitch. Cost much more than anticipated like $800.00 but given the labor and what he had to do I was ok with that. Uhaul quoted me less but I didn't trust them based on reviews and they could only put a 4 pin in. Haven't tested my hitch yet.
As for wire part, you just need 2 parts that are less than $100 and can diy it. I posted the pictures back in May~June this year.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Has anyone tried this? They mention that the kick still works and it doesn't seem to involve any cutting of the lower trim.

You should have a look at the non-hybrid forum. Lots of people have installed the Curt hitch.

This DIY thread starts with the wiring install but after a few posts he gets to the Curt hitch installation as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've read through this forum as my plan is to install a hitch on my 2021 limited. Can someone tell me why one cannot reposition the hands free sensor to accommodate the hitch? some sort of bracket may have to be fabricated but that should not be that big of a deal. If re-positioned, the kick would have to be done where ever the sensor is placed. What type of sensor is it?
My guess is that it the key fob must be in close proximity to the vehicle which would enable the kick sensor. When motion is sensed, the trunk is released. I am guessing the sensor is capacitive, ultrasonic, or light activated. My bet is ultrasonic - will have to check this further.

I did find this post that people in this thread have referred to:
It answers some questions and shows a re-positioned sensor.
Thought I'd place it here for convenience.
J

61 - 66 of 66 Posts