Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 200 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Highlander Hybrid brake controller & trailer brakes

In May I purchased a 2018 Highlander Hybrid XLE equip with the factory hitch and factory 4 way trailer plug.
My questions are which brake controller to install and how to install? I watch several youtube brake controller installations but none were hybrid installations. Since the hybrid 12V battery is located in the driver side, rear corner of the Highlander it is quite a bit different.
The Tehonsha P3 brake controller seems very popular and user review appears good operation. I wonder is there better ones. It appears that the most difficult steps of the installation was locating the brake switch cold side and splicing to the brake controller and running the cable wires through the firewall.

I also question the need for brake controller towing only 1000 lbs. Toyota manual states the Highlander needs it if over 1000 lbs (not much weight). But most states and AAA states or recommends about 2000 lbs minimum for brakes. Anyone has issues with braking if less than 1500 lbs. :|

·
Registered
2017 Hybrid Platinum
130 Posts
I installed the regular tow kit myself in my 2010 and my 2017 highlander hybrids. But for the 2010, I bought a 7 pin kit for highlander that already had the basic tow kit installed from etrailer.com. I had a Leonard dealer install the brake controller line and the 12v charging line( they did it for About $100). I used it to tow a trailer that was 3500 lbs loaded and highly recommend having a brake controller for something that large. But I towed plenty of boats that weighed up to 2500 lbs and never used a brake controller. There were no issues at all. Not sure why toyOta recommends brake controller starting at 1000lbs, but doesn’t seem necessary to me. We recently bought a larger trailer, so I can’t use the highlander anymore. We use a tekonsha p2in our truck and it works great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Towing a car

I have a 2015 Highlander Hybrid and before I saw that the towing capacity was only 3,500lbs, I ran the Highlander through the Uhaul website auto transport calculator.

Since I erroneously thought the Highlander could pull at least 5,000lbs, I imputed the car I wanted to tow (1979 Pontiac Firebird). Using the online Uhaul calculator, I said I was towing with a 2015 Highlander HYBRID (from the drop down menu, not the V6 gas model) and also said I was towing a 79’ Firebird. It then okayed renting the car dolly OR the full size auto transport and said I could make the reservation.

Does this make sense? Maybe I’m confused with Gross total weight vs Tongue hitch weight? My hitch is a class 3 rated for 5,000lbs but I’ve only towed a small carrier for camping and sometimes bikes.

Based on what I’ve read in this forum, the 2015 Hybrid is not a towing monster given the CVT transmission, electric motor on the back wheels and possible battery issues.

Any thoughts or help with this would be very appreciated.

·
6,664 Posts
You are capped at 3500 lb. This is the end of the story, calculators or not. I think, I even made a dedicated thread in stickies on this, as "towing with HiHy" id a bad penny question.

You want it safe - it's 3500lb GVWR. And I'd still be very careful planning route, to avoid mountains and such.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Appreciate the advice and words of caution. I actually read all the posts previously but was writing my question only due to the fact that the Uhaul website specifically allows you to say you are pulling with a hybrid not gas mode. It will literally then allow me to pick up a dolly or auto trailer stating I’m towing a 3,000 pound car (79 Firebird).

Therefore my question had more to do with was I missing something calculating the weight (Gross weight, tongue hitch weight) because the max is 3,500 lbs per my owner’s manual but Uhaul says “rent away”. That would have ended poorly ...major mechanical issue or worse, accident.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,506 Posts
Your Highlander is an upsized Camry. You need a vehicle based on a truck platform.

Good luck.
It just depends on the load. That load being a old muscle car, I would not try. Maybe a small U-Haul trailer but... I don't plan on pulling anything with my Camry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is Uhaul going to repair your vehicle if something happens?
If you’re joking, I get it.

If you’re serious then yes, U-Haul will pay for the damage done. Unfortunately it would take small claims court or hiring an attorney (both painful) but you cannot put a vehicle load calculator that actually allows you to rent equipment that your vehicle is not supposed to tow. Period.

Those online calculators are made to stop people who don’t read owners manuals or bother to look on their max weight written on the car.

I’m not going to tow anything heavy with this car since 3500lbs is the max but I made my post to get help to see if I was missing something since the U-Haul website okayed the overweight rental.

Thanks to all for your help and input.

·
6,664 Posts
No, I was sarcastic. I always say some like that, when someone points at a website and says - well THEY said.. Ok, fine. Are THEY going to pay for damage? That usually cools people down.
Look, here's and old Russian wisdom. Saving of a drowning one is the best interest of drowning one.

No one else. It is YOUR best interest to mind YOUR best interest. So if your vehicle is rated to 3500lb - you tow WEIGHED 3000 lb and stay happy and sleep well.
What you could do though is to rent a two wheel dolly and let rear wheels spin on your car. Or, simply install a tow bar onto it and tow behind. There is big difference between towing rolling vehicle and towing heavy carrier with car on it.

·
Registered
5 toyotas,
528 Posts
Your going to Roast it

Appreciate the advice and words of caution. I actually read all the posts previously but was writing my question only due to the fact that the Uhaul website specifically allows you to say you are pulling with a hybrid not gas mode. It will literally then allow me to pick up a dolly or auto trailer stating I’m towing a 3,000 pound car (79 Firebird).
#1 - a 2nd gen F-Body car, such as yours, weighs 3600-3700 not 3000lb. sooooo.......theres that

#2 - you are going to smoke the transmission, just plain roast it like a Thanksgiving Turkey, feel free as people like me need to make mortgage payments, ect every month !!!
thanks in advance from your servicing dealer.

seriously, your going to cook it, look into a 4runner, sequoia or tundra even if just a rental for towing.

·
Registered
Highlander, Subaru
107 Posts
Heated seat Relays???

Our 2007 HHL has leather seats with heat. The driver seat works fine but the passenger (wife) seat is intermittent and the most important.
Connections under seat seem fine and I used electrical cleaner and plugged and un-plugged them to make sure of good connection.
Is there a relay somewhere in the system that I can easily check as I assume these radiant heat (coils) are switched on/off with a relay.
Let me know if I'm wrong and if I'm right where do I find them.

NO temp adjustments it is a 2007 1st generation[/] Highlander Hybrid Limited 3 row.
Standard on/off switch with internal light at the bottom of vertical center console of dashboard in front of shifter.

FYI I posted this a month ago under the 1st Gen forum with no answers so hopefully somebody in general can help.

·
6,664 Posts
We had same issue with RX300 and it was bad heating element. I'd suggest to check for continuity in it. I am not really an electrician, but have no doubt it can be done. Also, check heating element plug for 12V. If you have 12V, it's element. Mof, the switch itself can go bad, right?

Start with determining if you have power to the element. Then work your way down from that.

·
Registered
Highlander, Subaru
107 Posts
ukrkoz
Thank you for your reply.
I tried Highlander 1st gen with 1 unrelated reply hence I went here. It has noting to do with Hybrid it is a interior Highlander or like yours RX300 or RX350 factory type option and therefore tried to get an answer here.

I have continuity I have good clean contacts just not always heat. Being a process of heating a coil with higher amperage I assume it is switched on and off via a relay.

My owners manual is not like in cars the olden days when it basically was a shop manual.

The question therefore is where are these relays located and are they replaceable.

·
Toyota Collector
11,826 Posts
Being a process of heating a coil with higher amperage I assume it is switched on and off via a relay.
I've worked on several Toyota and Lexus models with heated seats there was no relay the switch supplied power to the element directly. To diagnose this hook up a light bulb by back probing the connector and watch to see if it stays on solid. The cars I worked on had bad heating elements replacing them is no fun.

·
Registered
Highlander, Subaru
107 Posts
OK thank you
Time to sell the car as that will be a lot less hassle to keep the wife happy. In the meantime while it is cold we'll drive the Subaru as those heated seats work perfect.

·
6,664 Posts
To address #16 post:
Conventional Highlander engine

• 295 horsepower
  • 263 lbs.-ft. of torque
  • Compression Ratio10.8:1
  • 23 mpg combined
  • 5,000-pound max trailer weight
Hybrid Highlander engine

• 231 horsepower
  • 215 lbs.-ft. of torque
  • Compression Ratio

12.5:1
  • 29 mpg combined
  • 3,500-pound max trailer weight
Atkinson cycle is electronically simulated via VVT-I system, controlled by ECM.

Original Atkinson engine has additional components, not implemented in conventional engines

"Cycle Engine" This engine used poppet valves, a cam, and an over-center arm to produce four piston strokes for every revolution of the crankshaft. The intake and compression strokes were significantly shorter than the expansion and exhaust strokes.

.2AZ-FXE

The 2AZ-FXE is an Atkinson cycle variant of the 2AZ-FE. It has the same bore and stroke, but the cams and pistons are unique. It has a physical compression ratio of 12.5:1.
The large valve overlap leads to a reduction in cylinder charge and reduced torque and power output, but efficiency is increased. This combination makes the 2AZ-FXE suitable for use only in hybrid vehicles, where peak torque and power demands can be met by the electric motor and battery.
Maximum output when used in the Camry hybrid is 211 hp (147 kW) at 6000 rpm with 108 lb·ft (257 N·m) of torque at 4400 rpm.

181 - 200 of 207 Posts