Toyota Nation Forum banner

201 - 207 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well with conflicting info here and from our dealer we’ve gone with the “no problem” opinions. We have the towing package on our 2017 Limited Platinum HiHy and took our 1500 lb popup camper about 300 miles from Houston to San Antonio and back. It towed like a champ, like the camper wasn’t even there. Much better than our old Honda Odyssey3.5L V6. We’re sold, and looking forward to lots more camping trips! We did drop from a 27 average MPG to to under 15 but that’s to be expected. And we DID follow the manual’s advice and DID NOT use cruise control, even though it was mostly level traveling with few hills or upgrades.

·
B52D,F,G,H
31 Posts
My advice if you are shopping for a new vehicle and you need to tow alot is buy a vehicle designed from the ground up to do heavy duty towing.

My salesman said no when I asked him about a towing package.
Since I do not normally tow this was not a deal breaker for me. Strongly suggest a HD truck or 4 Runner for towing.:smile:

So the question is does the Platinum have any prewiring etc for a hitch?

Great thread BTW and right on topic.

2019 Platinum Hybrid

·
Registered
4 Posts
towing gen 2 HH ANY coolers to add?

I have gone through the links about towing with the Highlander and still haven't' found one answer.

Q: Do ANY additional coolers (engine/transmission?/inverter) NEED to be added to the Highlander Hybrid to tow 3,500 lbs?
Or.....IS the HH ready to tow up to 3,500lb once the wiring systems and hitch are installed?

I will be installing an electric brake controller and already have a factory hitch. A lot of manufacturers add fluid coolers and springs for towing purposes. Then call it a "towing package". I just haven't read anything specific on the Highlander Hybrids.

BTW, so far towing a 1,700 trailer has been easy.

thanks in advance!
Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI. Two separate calls to Toyota dealer service departments gave the same answer. Electric brake wiring install with proper hitch and the HYBRID is set for 3,500lb towing. No coolers needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I mistakenly posted my HiHy first towing thread (link below) in the main Highlander forum; but hopefully this give folks planning to tow with hybrid some suggestions.
I have a 2016 Hybrid Ltd Canadian version
It has a transmission cooler but doesn't seem to have a tail light brake converter thing built in. However had 4 pin and 7/8 pin plugs in the back under the trunk that I installed a Curt converter into.
Towed a 3500 lb trailer RV.
Transmission seems OK after the ~800 km (500mile) trip. Temps were normal.
Fuel consumption was 14.8 L/100 kms or 15.6 MPG
Used a Tekonsha RF prodigy wireless brake controller.

For details on brake controller set up and other details:

Reference: harness part from Curt, wired permanently under the hitch.

- Also combined a uhaul part for 7pin and 4pole combo plug - with 12V line from battery in the back for hybrid.

The only Caution to be aware of - Turning flashers on kicks in the brake controller to pulse. :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
I installed a Redarc brake controller in my 2015 Hybrid Highlander. I used a diode on the brake light switch wiring so there would be no feedback to the braking system. I also used the OEM 4 pin wiring module from Toyota. My 7 pin connector uses the 4 pin wiring plus the following:
Battery + and Brake Controller output.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Towing Capabilities???

I have a small camping trailer, (about #3000 loaded and maybe #450 tongue weight.)

I have always towed this with a large suv, (currently a ford expedition 5.4L.) I have done this because at least in the past other tow vehicles (smaller engines,) were barely better in mpg, and worked much much harder. I also feel that having a larger more powerful tow vehicle is safer for many reasons. Just MHO.

But, as you might imagine the Ford gets horrendeous mileage. I try not to drive it much unless I'm towing, but it gets a fair amount of use anyway.

So I'm really interested in the HiHy. But I'm concerned about towing. The Expedition is rated at like #7k, and the Hilander at #3500 max.

Will the HiHy tow this size trailer competently? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
We’ve towed our popup camper(1500 lbs, week’s worth of luggage and 4 passengers) with our 2017 HiHy and it performed like a champ. Didn’t even know our camper was behind us. MUCH better than our 2002 Odyssey.

201 - 207 of 207 Posts