Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks - I might try this out with just the trailer on a grassy hill to see if it makes a difference. But the bottom line for me is that I probably won't be using the Highlander to pull my boat OUT of the water anymore - the last thing I need is to get stuck pulling my boat out in the Fall on a cold empty boat ramp - I was lucky there was another truck to pull me out the last time. The boat ramp is close enough that I can drive a tractor over to pull the boat out - then hook it up to the Highlander to tow it to storage.

The Highlander has enough good qualities that I'm still satisfied with it - but the boat launch/traction control with no over-ride issue is a disappointment.

Just as a late followup to this - I tried the EV mode and it did not work out. First of all had to warm up the truck before EV mode would even engage, then it would disengage almost immediately upon pulling. This was on a grassy incline which matched the boat ramp. I ended up driving a tractor to the boat ramp to pull the trailer out.

The intrusive traction control bothers me - just the thought that this is an "SUV" that I'll have to drive like a front wheel drive, and I have to say that the dealer experience hasn't been great either. So I've soured a little on the car.

After going to the car show in Toronto last week, I decided to see about trading the HH towards something else. Current problem is that the market for used Toyota's is really terrible now - I was shocked at what the dealers were offering and even private sales look pretty soft. I knew it would be bad because of all the problems, but trust me - you would be shocked if you're trying to trade into another vehicle - even another Toyota.

So I'm keeping it because I'm not going to take that big a hit on a one year old car. Stuck in more ways than one...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try removing the TRAC / VSC fuse

Anyone try to see if they can benefit with removal of the related TRAC / VSC fuses?

If that works, maybe we can make our own bypass switch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
CedarMtn,

Have you tried the TRAC/VSC deactivation yet? Its not a real solution, as it will deactivate the rear wheel altogether, but you'll be able to spin your front wheel all you want with it.

With the car off, turn the key to on/run (without starting it). Hold down the brake peddle throughout this process.

Step on the gas peddle 2 times in Park
Step on the gas peddle 2 times in Neutral
Step on the gas peddle 2 times in Park
Start the car

·
Registered
5 Posts
P0A78 ecu/scan code, HH had to be towed

ECU/Scan code P0A78 - does anyone know what this means?
Upon hearing a deep thunk under the front hood on my FWD 2006 HH, I could not drive this HH anymore. I rolled this vehicle off the road into a parking lot. I called a tow truck. I had this HH towed to the Toyota dealer. They state the inverter failed.

I have a Scangauge II. It read this code. When I cleared this code, it immediately came back.

The HH will start. The combustion engine runs, although faster RPM than normal. When I put this HH into reverse or forward, nothing happens. This HH does not move.

I was sudden accelerating when the thunk occured.

All is under warranty. I purchased Toyota Extra Car.

- End -
- End -

·
Registered
83 Posts
POA78 is the "Drive Motor A motor inverter".
Just as your dealer said.

It would appeat that that is only half the code though. There are about 20 different PoA78 codes. The manual has them as P0A78-XXX, you're missing the XXX.
Most deal with shorts & overvoltages.

It is possible the scanguage only reads the first half of the code.

You need the other half of the code to know what is wrong with the inverter.

Obviously, if there is something really wrong with the car, clearing the code won't help, as the code will just set the code again.

Due to the way the car opperates, both the regular engne and the main electric engine must be working to go anywhere, not just one or the other.( ie you can't just get by for a while on the gas engine) which is why you would have needed a tow

·
Registered
5 Posts
The inverter was the problem. I will post all the scan codes as listed on the warranty repair. As mentioned in a thread, there are additional numbers to these ECU/Scan codes, that is numbers after P0A78.
One unusual note: After this repair, the electric motor may be providing slightly more power. There appears more times when the electric motor is the sole power source. I often drive for better mph or light on the accelerator.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Was the inverter covered under the warranty? Outside of the warranty period the cost of an inverter repair can be very high.

·
Registered
5 Posts
These are the complete scan codes, as provided by Toyota of Bursnville, Minnesota.
Scan codes P0A78, C1241, B1152, B1241
The Scangauage II may have listed other additional codes. I could had cleared these additional codes in an attempt to get the HH moving again.

Warranty - Toyota fixed this under warranty; Toyota stated this was covered by the 100,000 mile "drivetrain" warranty. The Toyota mechanic found Toyota Technical Bulletin 0386-08. The repair summary stated "replaced coolant inverter" Coolant is used an adjective. I waited several days for the inverter part to arrive.

As I had Toyota ExtraCare Platinum level, Toyota paid for the towing charges and the rental car. Toyota of Burnsville provided a brand new Toyota Corolla for the rental car (nice car; however, I like hybrids better).

In summary, I had no charges for this repair.

Other note: My gas mileage (mpg) is slightly higher as measured by the Scanguage II. I have the tank average displayed; I set the actual gallons used at each refill; this is to get an accurate mpg. This is about 1 to 2 mpg higher than before this repair.

Toyota of Burnsville, Minnesota provided excellent service, too.
- End -

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stoplight switch wire for electric brake controller

I have a 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I have the Toyota trailer hitch and harness installed, it has the 4-pin flat connector. I've recently purchased a newer tent trailer that has the round 7-pin
connector. The RV dealer sold me a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, and then realized that the vehicle is a hybrid and got gunshy about wiring everything up, said the grounding is different on the hybrids, etc. I did some research and think that their fears are about the high voltage system, not the 12V system.

I've ordered a kit off etrailer.com (ETBC7) that will convert from 4 pin to 7. The only thing that looks like it could be tricky is hooking up the stoplight switch to the brake controller. I can see the stoplight switch up above the brake pedal, but not sure how I'd get to the wires coming out of it to test which one is the correct one, and tap into it.

I found a set of installation instructions for the trailer wiring harness on a 2008 Highlander (http://www.howtopdf.com/?ytDa4Pfp), and it shows a converter being installed under the dash, and one of the wires leading to it is the one I need from the stoplight switch. Not sure if the 2008 wiring is the same or close to that for a 2007 model, at first glance I don't see a connector that looks like the one in the 2008 install instructions, but will try and cram my head under there and take a closer look.

Just wondering if anyone's done this before and/or knows a convenient place to tap into the cold side of the stoplight switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I did some more digging around and after reading some other posts, it sounds like the towing converter is in the rear for a 2007 Highlander. I pulled out the tool compartment on the drivers side and found a black box with a multi-pin plug but have not found a wire that appears to be the brake / stoplight signal. There's a whole mess of connectors and wires back in this section, so I think I'm in the right area. Expect it would be less convenient to route another wire from the back to the front to signal the brake controller, but should be doable.

From what I had read on a wiring diagram I got from a Toyota technician, I thought that the blue wire would be the stoplight input signal to the converter, but it seems to have 12 V on it at all times.

I also tried to remove the lower dash panel (kick panel?) on the drivers side to see if I could get at the stoplight switch easier by doing that, and two tabs came undone easily, the ones above the coin drawer that hides the fuses. But I couldn't wiggle anything loose on the other side of the panel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Towing with a 2009 Highlander Hybrid?

Hi there,

Just wondering what experiences others may be able to relate to me about towing a trailer with a 2009 Highlander Hybrid?

I've been using the stock Toyota hitch and 4 wire trailer wiring to pull a utility trailer for a few years now, but we're considering purchasing a tent trailer that has electric brakes and thus a 7 wire connector would be needed. The trailer weight is probably in the 2000 lb range, so it's well within the published towing capacity of the vehicle... but I'm curious how the CVT and other components will stand up to some pulling of longer durations???

Cheers,
Dion

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there,

Just wondering what experiences others may be able to relate to me about towing a trailer with a 2009 Highlander Hybrid?

I've been using the stock Toyota hitch and 4 wire trailer wiring to pull a utility trailer for a few years now, but we're considering purchasing a tent trailer that has electric brakes and thus a 7 wire connector would be needed. The trailer weight is probably in the 2000 lb range, so it's well within the published towing capacity of the vehicle... but I'm curious how the CVT and other components will stand up to some pulling of longer durations???

Cheers,
Dion
I towed a much heavier boat/trailer combo (probably close to 3000lbs fully fueled) with my 2009 Highlander Hybrid. No issues with power or the transmission and handled quite well on the highway too. Even the mileage was not bad, considering (about 13.5 L/100 km on a 200 km trip once). So I would expect that with your trailer, there would be no problems, especially with trailer brakes. Maybe somebody will confirm, but I think the tow package may include some form of transmission cooler too.

Note - I did end up trading my Highlander because of the traction control system. I could not pull my boat OUT of the water because if the ramp was wet, the traction control would shut down all power and I was stuck. If there was a defeat switch, I am sure there would be enough power/torque to do the job, but there is no way to turn the [email protected] thing off. So it didn't suit my purposes, and I lost confidence in it's ability to go where I wanted to go (eg - we do a lot of skiing and travel in winter). It's too bad, because I thought it was a pretty good truck, and actually worked well in snow with four snow tires - but after getting stuck twice on easy (but wet) boat ramps I looked for excuses to get rid of it.

BTW, if anybody is in the Toronto area - I have four alloy rims with 2 year old Michelin X-Ice tires (probably around 9,000 km total) and TPMS monitors all from my Highlander which I will be selling. Won't work with my new car.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I came across this post while searching for another topic. Maybe I can help out. I have a 2008 regular Highlander and I wired it for a 7 pin setup, here's the link

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238811

Where the cable plugs into the converter box (by the foot pedals) tap into the wire at pin# 9. On my Highlander, it's the gray colored wire -- any most likely is the same color on the 2007 Highlander.

·
Toyota Owner
25 Posts
2011/12 Canadian HiHy - Towing Wire Harness

Trying to find out if the 2011/12 Highlander Hybrids in Canada come with the Towing Wire Harness?

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/highlander-hybrid/features-benefits/performance

Looking at the Canadian Toyota website (link to page above) it states:

Towing

Both Hybrid models arrive with a towing prep package that includes a Large Radiator, Transmission Oil Cooler, Heavy Duty Battery and Towing Wire Harness, to take full advantage of the vehicle’s 1,587 kg (3,500 lb) towing capacity.
Can any of the Canadian owners verify if your Hybrid did indeed come with the 4 Plug wire harness???

Thanks

·
Toyota Owner
25 Posts
On further research it appears that Toyota Canada is stating that the 2012 Highlander (hybrid or Gas) comes with the Towing Wire Harness as part of the Towing prep package.

So if anyone can verify that their canadian version of the highlander did come with it, that would be very helpful.

Thanks

·
Toyota Owner
25 Posts
OK, so now I know the deal. Although Toyota publishes that the Tow Wire Harness is included, IT IS NOT!

Just picked up my 2012 Highlander Hybrid Limited and the tow wiring is not installed. Its a good thing I picked up the tow harness last week.

As bonuses for the 2012, the Cargo Tonneau Cover is now included as well as BOTH carpet and all-weather floor mats (front, rear & 3rd Row).

The non-Hybrid all weather cargo mat will fit the Hybrid with a slight issue over the rear battery cover. But it works and is way cheaper than WeatherTech.

That's my update.

Tomorrow I may tackle the Remote Start System and the Trailer Hitch. We'll have to see how energetic I'm feeling.

·
Registered
708 Posts
problems towing with a Hybrid???

I just read the owner's manual dealing with towing. Weight distribution with sway bars are needed if towing over 2000 lb. trailer. What bothers me is the owner's manual saying the electic battery componets may cause over heating when the temperature is over 85 degrees. With Toyota directions stating shut off A/C and pull off road etc. Has any one had any of these overheating problems or is Toyota just covering their [email protected] I will be towing a 3,500 lb. popup.

41 - 60 of 207 Posts
About this Discussion
206 Replies
90 Participants
TheTexasKellys
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing