Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 120 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are pulling 3,500lbs that far, you need a brake controller if you use the 2008. Most states legally require at 1,500lbs/2,000lbs.

Another thing that makes towing A LOT easier is if you get a weight distribution hitch. They can be pricey; I got a used one off Craigslist for a great price and it makes towing heavy loads a real breeze in comparison - balancing the vehicle and trailer as well as stabilizing the trailer. It will track directly with the tow vehicle and not sway or push - especially a taller trailer (I used to tow horses frequently). This is what I am talking about:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx
Thanks a lot for the ideas. I put a Prodigy P3 brake controller on today and it's a dream. Looking forward to the trip now. I didn't know about state's having a law about trailer brakes, so thanks for that. I will post once trip is done in June-ish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How tall is the trailer?

I pull a 7x16 v-nose cargo trailer that's 2' taller than my car, and I can say aero drag is one of the biggest issues. In fact it limits me to about 70mph (not that i'd want to go much faster) If the hybrid system makes 270hp like it says, you shouldn't have an issue with power. I pull mine at or slightly above 5klb and can still do 60-65mph in hills reasonably well, 55 in mountains. Trans temps will be interesting though, I've added a 2nd cooler (so 2 transmission radiators now) to compensate and it still gets toasty (260F). Might be worth looking into.

But yeah, I'd use the hybrid, brakes will be better, power will be better, and the overall size of the vehicle will help in how it handles the trailer. +1 on trailer brakes though. I've run without them, it will stop, but its not fun.
My trailer is a Haulmark 'Low Hauler' so it isn't too tall and shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can hybrid transmission handle towing?

I have a 2006 Highlander Hybrid and would like to get a teardrop trailer, app. 1680 lbs curb weight. I talked with a local dealer who does a lot of business putting on hitches and he is concerned that the transmission may not be able to handle it. Says the hybrid transmissions are light weight, not like a normal transmission, that it could burn up. He put one on for a couple with an a Lexus hybrid and it burned up within a few miles. Opinions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Towing a boat with HL HI 2016

Hi, I went through previous posts about towing with HL HI and I am slightly confused, so need additional info. I have a small boat (about 1750lbs with trailer) Sales person at Toyota dealership said they are warned during training against using hybrids for towing because of the potential battery issues. Toyota itself said she cannot provide this info (?!) when directly asked this very question. I see, however, that quite a few people do tow something with hybrid. My problem is that 90% of the time I drive in the city and hybrid seems natural choice. However, if I will have problems over weekends with towing my boat, I would rather stay with regular gas model than risk getting stuck on the ramp with my boat and hybrid. Is there anybody out there who has hybrid and about same size of the boat? Any comments/suggestions/ideas? Model 2016 comes with standard tow package (or so they claim, not sure if Canadian version will have that) Will it include weight distribution hitch or a regular one?

Thank you for your reply,

Shimon

·
6,144 Posts
It does not make much sense but here you go:

The Toyota Highlander

While the Toyota Highlander remains one of the most popular hybrid SUV vehicles on the road because of its quiet ride, reasonable fuel economy and spacious interior, it is only average in its towing capacity. The rated towing capacity for the Toyota Highlander is 3,500 pounds; however, many Highlander owners complain that the vehicle cannot really pull that much weight without the electric engine cutting off completely. Many people complain that when trying to pull a trailer and boat uphill, the electric engine simply shuts off and there is no way for them to get the vehicle to move except to disconnect the trailer. People have stated that weights of 2,000 or 2,500 pounds are more accurate descriptions for the towing capacity rating of the Toyota Highlander.

It's illiterate description as our cars do not have electric engine. I don't really see how this can happen but who knows. HSD is one quirky thing.

Go figure:

I have a Toyota highlander hybrid when I take off on a hill with a trailer attached, even with less than 2500 lbs. On gravel or snow or ice
UV shuts down and will not move. The engine will not rev or spin the tires. It just sits there until the trailer is disconnected. One time I was pulling a trailer and hit an icy section on the road. The car lost all power and coasted to a stop. There was nothing I could do. My 2nd car drove right up. I had to disconnect the trailer and drive the car up the road and have the trailer towed. Another time I have a small 5’x8’ utility trailer of 1000 lb max capacity with 12” tires. I loaded it with 1000 lbs of firewood. It was on a packed gravel hill. The SUV would move about 1 foot and loose power. I had to go get my gutless ’96 Ford Ranger 4 cyl 2wd to pull it up the hill. Now they seem to take the position that the hybrids are designed to shut down. I purchased this hybrid because it had a towing capacity of 3500 lbs and had a third row seat. It is my concern that this problem represents a safety concern. I know most people are not aware of this problem. The dealer told me they are aware the problem exists I do love the power and comfort of the SUV, but be warned if you stop on a hill on wet pavement. The above is my personal opinion and experience.

http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/showthread.php?98950-Towing-capacity

I have a 2009 Highlander

I have a 2009 Highlander hybrid, I tow a 16 foot Smoker craft. Much less than the 3500 pound rating. I tow on the highway, through loose sand. I have had absolutely no problem, it is a champ!!

I have a 2007 highlander

I have a 2007 highlander hybrid. I tow my pop up camper with no problem whatsoever. It is rated at 3500 towing capacity. My pop up is about 1500 empty. Never a problem.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hi, I went through previous posts about towing with HL HI and I am slightly confused, so need additional info. I have a small boat (about 1750lbs with trailer) Sales person at Toyota dealership said they are warned during training against using hybrids for towing because of the potential battery issues. Toyota itself said she cannot provide this info (?!) when directly asked this very question. I see, however, that quite a few people do tow something with hybrid. My problem is that 90% of the time I drive in the city and hybrid seems natural choice. However, if I will have problems over weekends with towing my boat, I would rather stay with regular gas model than risk getting stuck on the ramp with my boat and hybrid. Is there anybody out there who has hybrid and about same size of the boat? Any comments/suggestions/ideas? Model 2016 comes with standard tow package (or so they claim, not sure if Canadian version will have that) Will it include weight distribution hitch or a regular one?

Thank you for your reply,

Shimon

Do NOT buy this vehicle from anyone who cannot explain the specs. Go to another dealer. Highlander Hybrid will tow 3500lbs. Toyota.ca will help you if this salesperson cannot. Toyota would not sell a hitch for this if they cannot tow. Your salesperson is ill informed if that is what she said (no other hybrid can tow but this is a Highlander). Here's a Toyota link to the towing capacity (and more)

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/highlander-hybrid/overview

Link to the accessory hitch:

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/highlander-hybrid/options-accessory-pricing/accessories

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, gas model is the only real option for boaters

Thank you, guys! My sales person is very knowledgeable and the first reply does make sense to me and simply confirms what I suspected might be true. Ramp with 2000lbs trailer behind will simply shutdown electric engine. I assume they test 3500lbs downhill. The fact Toyota itself officially declined to comment on my request was the prime reason I posted my message here. I strongly suspect fishy specs of hybrid model with regards to towing capabilities. This leaves me with option to purchase regular gas model (and that's what I had before and was quite happy with it except for mileage and gas consumption) Would be nice to get few more reply from owners of hybrid who tried to tow boat (notice, boat is special as you have to tow it down and up the ramp, which is quite stressful exercise for the car) I assume it's less an issue for the horizontal towing on the paved road.

Do NOT buy this vehicle from anyone who cannot explain the specs. Go to another dealer. Highlander Hybrid will tow 3500lbs. Toyota.ca will help you if this salesperson cannot. Toyota would not sell a hitch for this if they cannot tow. Your salesperson is ill informed if that is what she said (no other hybrid can tow but this is a Highlander). Here's a Toyota link to the towing capacity (and more)

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/highlander-hybrid/overview

Link to the accessory hitch:

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/highlander-hybrid/options-accessory-pricing/accessories

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thank you, guys! My sales person is very knowledgeable and the first reply does make sense to me and simply confirms what I suspected might be true. Ramp with 2000lbs trailer behind will simply shutdown electric engine. I assume they test 3500lbs downhill. The fact Toyota itself officially declined to comment on my request was the prime reason I posted my message here. I strongly suspect fishy specs of hybrid model with regards to towing capabilities. This leaves me with option to purchase regular gas model (and that's what I had before and was quite happy with it except for mileage and gas consumption) Would be nice to get few more reply from owners of hybrid who tried to tow boat (notice, boat is special as you have to tow it down and up the ramp, which is quite stressful exercise for the car) I assume it's less an issue for the horizontal towing on the paved road.
Did you read either reply? Did you click on the links? I think your conclusions are not supported by reality. All of this seems very vague/trolling? How did you suspect that they could only tow 3500 lbs downhill? What request did you make to toyota....feel free to show a screenshot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Still not convinced

First of all, here is wonderful reply of toyota (full quote) for my question about towing capabilities of HIHY2016 of 18' fishing boat:
---
[email protected]
12:55 PM (9 hours ago)

to me
Thank you for your recent correspondence.

While a launch date for the 2016 Highlander and Highlander Hybrid has not yet been announced, you can request that the Sales department at the Toyota dealership of your choice contact you with any information concerning the 2016 Highlander and Highlander Hybrid the moment it becomes available. We also suggest visiting our website www.toyota.ca from time to time; the website is updated as the information becomes available.

Although we are unable to provide the information that you have requested, we thank you for taking the time to write.

Your interest in Toyota is truly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Hiyem Zabian
Customer Interaction Centre
Toyota Canada Inc.
---
Secondly, I did read each and every response and clicked *every* link you posted. Still not convinced. I guess I need to correct myself - I do not doubt capability of highlander hybrid to haul my boat. We don't have many mountains in Ontario. I am mostly concerned about infrequent boat launch and retrieve. If what the first poster said about shutting down the electric engine is true, then it will be absolute nightmare when one is trying to pull the boat from the water. Disconnection of the trailer is not even an option. I was hoping that at least 2-3 people with boats about same size confirmed that during last 2-3 years of towing with hihy there was not a problem of retrieving the boat from the water and engine disconnection.

Did you read either reply? Did you click on the links? I think your conclusions are not supported by reality. All of this seems very vague/trolling? How did you suspect that they could only tow 3500 lbs downhill? What request did you make to toyota....feel free to show a screenshot.

·
Resident Nutcase
12,151 Posts
I've known several over the years who haul with hybrids and were fine. Highest weight I saw was a Uhaul 6x12 (empty weight ~2klb) with lots of appliances in it so likely near the 3.5k rating. He didn't have any issues.

As for those posts about having to disconnect the trailer....yeah...I've never heard anything like that. Either the motors were overheating or....I don't know. I wouldn't expect any issues like that.

The reason Toyota blew off your Q was because you asked them about the non-released/no info '16 model. 95% probability it will be the exact same as the '14 and '15 which is based around the 2GR-FXE. If you want an official answer, ask about those years.

Simply put, it has a 3.5k rating, stay under and your fine. And you'll never find a situation where a HL is going to have problems starting a boat up the ramp from lack of power, main limitation is lack of traction. I can get 5.5k trailers started up very steep grades (was steeper than any boat ramp I've pulled up) easily with my FWD, however I can't go faster than say 15-20mph as I'll spin the tires in first trying to speed up and 2nd doesn't have the power at that speed to pull it. As the hybrid has more power (particularly low end torque) than the gas models, your fine.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The reason Toyota blew off your Q was because you asked them about the non-released/no info '16 model. 95% probability it will be the exact same as the '14 and '15 which is based around the 2GR-FXE. If you want an official answer, ask about those years.

Simply put, it has a 3.5k rating, stay under and your fine. And you'll never find a situation where a HL is going to have problems starting a boat up the ramp from lack of power, main limitation is lack of traction. I can get 5.5k trailers started up very steep grades (was steeper than any boat ramp I've pulled up) easily with my FWD, however I can't go faster than say 15-20mph as I'll spin the tires in first trying to speed up and 2nd doesn't have the power at that speed to pull it. As the hybrid has more power (particularly low end torque) than the gas models, your fine.

Better than I could have said it.

·
6,144 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I seem to remember the early Highlander Hybrids had issues in snow where the system would just shut down when it sensed wheel spin. Maybe some of the above stems from that but doesn't apply to the newer models.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Many of us on the Lexus forums feel the trade off of potential hybrid sytem failure is not worth the towing. One gentleman towed a 3000lb trailer for 2000 miles. Everything went well, but afterwards he had issues with the hybrid system. Since an inverter could cost up to $7k in repairs, I personally would not tow. Good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 014 Hybrid. I have been towing a 17' boat/trailer (2400 lbs) up and down the coast which has some fairly steep terrain with no problems. Common sense has to prevail when towing with any vehicle. Obviously I do not dunk my hybrid into the ocean when launching/retrieving nor would I do that with any tow vehicle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Many of us on the Lexus forums feel the trade off of potential hybrid sytem failure is not worth the towing. One gentleman towed a 3000lb trailer for 2000 miles. Everything went well, but afterwards he had issues with the hybrid system. Since an inverter could cost up to $7k in repairs, I personally would not tow. Good luck

Correct me if I'm wrong but your RX has a 4 cylinder gas motor, not a 6. I wouldn't tow 3000 lbs with a 4 cylinder either.

·
6,144 Posts
RX400H and 450 H share same platform as Highlander Hybrid.

Current Lexus RX 450h
The Lexus RX 450h's 3.5-liter gas V6 engine and battery-pack-driven electric motors/generators yield an impressive total output of 295 hp.

Lexus RX400H

Base 4dr SUV

(3.3L V6 Hybrid CVT Automatic)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't have a key. I have a smart key. One push (without hitting brake pedal) turns on radio function. Two pushes allows me to operate windows. So which one should I try? I'm really bummed to be reading this issue with pulling a boat out of the water, one of the big reasons I bought a Highlander, to launch and retrieve my 2500 lb. sailboat. I don't want to end up stuck on the ramp.

·
/dev/hybrid
290 Posts
The 3rd generation Highlander Hybrids (2014 thru 2016) now have a button that will disable TRAC and VSC temporarily.

101 - 120 of 207 Posts