Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here. I am an Excursion owner who is tired of the brake-downs. I am on my fifth truck and I have had it with the American auto makers. I am considering the Tundra d/c 4x4 SR5. I had owned a 1988 & 1991 Fourrunners and after 100,000 miles between the two I never saw the dealer once.

I will have to downsize my travel trailer being 7500 pounds dry. What is the heaviest weight any of you towed comfortably with the Tundra? Anyone towing with a fifth-wheel? Trail-lite has a 5-er that is around 4500 lbs.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My friend comforatably tows a 5400lb (dry) hitch pull trailer, about 6000lb full up. This is not in the flatlands, but mountains with no problems. His is an access cab 4x4 and I think the double cab reduces max towing by 300lb or so below the 7000 max, but a 4x2 restores that number. Ill check my owners manual for you if you need exact numbers. This is assuming factory tow package. Wihout tow package, my 4x4 regular cab is limited to 5300.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
The most Toyota says you can tow with a D-cab 4x4 is 6500 pounds.
If you got a d-cab 4x2 it raises you up to 6800 pounds.
I know how you feel about being tired of the domestics. Ive got a '99 F-150 and some days Im tempted to leave the keys in it in the hopes that someone will steal the darned thing.
I think Ive got my passenger side oil leak fixed, but now Ive got some kinda heat shield rattle going on. Its pretty sad that every time I get in my truck I think to myself, "Well, I wonder whats gonna break next???" That thought never crossed my mind when I was a Toyota owner ('85 4Runner with 245,000 miles and '91 4Runner with 110,000).
Oh well, 68,900 miles and it will all be a bad memory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a tundra d/cab 4x4, and i also tow a 5th wheeler (Boy do i get looks). My 5th weighs 4300 dry and 5700 full. I've towed it to new orleans, (from NC) many times in the smokey mountains and many times to the coast. In all the places i've taken it i've been happy with the preformance but i do wonder about my 2006 trip to colorado. I would seriously say that these weights would be the max to comfortably feel secure. The tundra is an incrediably truck but i wouldn't say it's the best for heavy towing. I wouldn't even consider towing a 5700 lb std. trailer. The 5th hitch makes all the difference in the world. Dont get me wrong, the trucks suspension handles the 1300 lb tongue weight great, braking is good, but power lacks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts