Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Shake and Bake!!!
Yoder
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy the Light Racing coilovers for the front and Toy tec add a leaf in the back with the Bilstein 5125 shocks from Toy Tec. My question is, do I need to buy the brake line extender with this application, or does it come with the brake line extender braket? Also, do I need the front differential drop/rear degree shims with this? I know there has been alot of talk about this, just wanted to know the final word.

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
Play it safe and get it all. I would say 100% yes to the brake line extender and diff drop, buy you may not need the degree shims. Better safe than sorry.

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Yes to the brake lines and a big no on the diff drop, they're useless. The shims are a "most likely," just depends. More then likely you will need them to correct your pinion angle.

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
Lines yes- Diff drop most likely no with 4x4 and as I am sure you know, are not applicable for Prerunner.

The only thing I would change is since you are going with really nice coilovers up front... skip the AAL, go with a leaf pack and some nice shocks... you won't see the benefit of good coilovers if you ahve an AAL... if you are set on the AAL, the get the OME coils and shocks and don't waste your money...

·
Shake and Bake!!!
Yoder
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I wanted to give them a call, but cant find their # to ask if the brake line braket comes with the add a leafs.

·
Shake and Bake!!!
Yoder
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pointerDixie214 said:
Lines yes- Diff drop most likely no with 4x4 and as I am sure you know, are not applicable for Prerunner.

The only thing I would change is since you are going with really nice coilovers up front... skip the AAL, go with a leaf pack and some nice shocks... you won't see the benefit of good coilovers if you ahve an AAL... if you are set on the AAL, the get the OME coils and shocks and don't waste your money...
Where do you find a leaf pack. My only thing is shipping to Alaska is gonna be crazy!!!:eek:

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
I would check around... 4wheelparts is good, I think Doug at Toytec can get you OME Dakar leaf packs and then your shipping wouldn't be any more... trust me, you do not want AAL with coilovers. ask AN...

·
Shake and Bake!!!
Yoder
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pointerDixie214 said:
I would check around... 4wheelparts is good, I think Doug at Toytec can get you OME Dakar leaf packs and then your shipping wouldn't be any more... trust me, you do not want AAL with coilovers. ask AN...
Preciate the help, get back to you when I finish and get some pics!!!:)

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
An AAL with good shocks and coilovers is not a bad setup, it's just not the "ideal." Anytime you change your suspension your aim should be balance front and rear. You don't want the front to be soft or spongy and the rear stiff or firm or visa versa. When your suspension setup differs front to rear it changes the driving dynamics dramatically. Most people would not understand this or even be able to describe it when driving but ask any experienced or professional driver how important suspension balance is to control and handling and they will talk your ear off. Before people do anything to their suspension it's always best to have a goal or priority as to how you want your suspension to handle, then you can pick the parts that best match up to accommodate your goals.

·
Shake and Bake!!!
Yoder
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AN.. With my winch/brush guard and the topper, my truck rides rougher than hell right now. Plus up here not all the roads are paved! I want to raise the truck 2-3 in", and smooth the ride back out. Plus I often pull a trailer full of 4 wheelers, and that makes the ride even more rough!! If you look at the leaf pack now, it is almost parralell with the ground without the trailer. My goal is lift it and make the ride alot better for all the stuff that is on the truck now.

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
An AAL won't smooth things out any, it will carry weight a little better but will definitely not make the ride better for you. You have a few options for what you are looking at. First is custom leaves. The best options are Alcan (http://www.alcanspring.com/) or Deaver (http://www.deaverspring.com/index.htm). Both can make you a custom leaf pack that will give you a better ride and will meet your load carrying requirements. Another excellent option if you don't want the higher price of custom is the Dakar leaf packs by ARB. You can add or remove leaves in the pack to get the best fit for your needs. There are a few people here that have the Dakars and they by all accounts seem to be an excellent product.

·
Registered
539 Posts
you could also look into the hellwig helper spring...it works for me...as far a an aal smoothing things out...i doubt it...they ride fairly stiff...which doesn't bother me i drive a truck...but many dont like them...they are a good value though

·
Shake and Bake!!!
Yoder
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is an ARB distributor up here, and they can get both Dakar leaf packs, 4 u-bolts, and the carrier bearing shim up here for $450.00. It'll only take a month though!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts