Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1999 Toyota Camry LE 4-cl sedan, and I will be getting new tires for it. I need to get the tires aligned, but I am not sure what type of alignment that I need. I have heard that there are three types of alignment:

a) Two wheel alignment
b) Thrust alignment
c) Four wheel alignment

The question is: Which alignment do I need? I have heard that you should get a four wheel alignment if you have adjustable rear suspensions. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
If it is indicated then you get a 4 wheel alignment. Is it indicated by the wear pattern of the tires or the handling? If all four tires have been rotated on a regular basis and show even wear then it is highly unlikely that you need any kind of alignment. On the other hand if you have seen excessive tow in or out issues on either the front or rear, or if it seems to pull or the steering wheel isn't centered, then go ahead and get it adjusted. Presuming a competent mechanic, there is no harm done in aligning the car.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
......only if you normally drive on logging roads. Normal highway driving, and avoiding kissing curbs, should generate no issues at all with alignment. Normal wear will cause issues over time, but every 6 months is massive overkill and is designed to keep the local mechanic's bass boat in toe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that you only get 4 wheel alignment if you have an independent suspension system or rear adjusted suspension system? Does a typical car like mine (1999 Camry LE 4-CL sedan) have that type of suspension system?

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Yes.

Haven't you stuck your head down there and looked at it before asking?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Like gdanaher said, unless you are like my daughter and hit every pothole in the road, run into curbs, rocks and other cars, you should not need an alignment very often. I usually get mine done when I put a new set of tires (or do some suspension work) on the car.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
No, I haven't.
Then why do you persist in wasting our time asking questions that could be answered by walking away from your computer keyboard and looking at your car?

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Far too many illiterate people expecting the rest of us to solve their problems for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts