Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

August 14, 2008 - Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., announced today that the 2009 Highlander mid-size sport utility vehicle (SUV) will offer an all-new, powerful yet fuel-efficient 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine. When it arrives at dealerships in mid-to-late January, the new Highlander powerplant will be among the best mid-size SUVs in the areas of performance, fuel economy and value.

The new 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine will generate an impressive 187 horsepower at 5,800 RPM and 186 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,100 RPM on regular 87 octane fuel. A dual exhaust manifold will help achieve exceptional low-end torque and maximize its power output. In addition to its performance output, the Highlander equipped with the new four-cylinder will be EPA-rated as an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEVII) and is expected to be among the leaders in fuel efficiency in the gas mid-size SUV segment. Official EPA fuel efficiency ratings will be announced closer to launch.

The new four-cylinder engine will be mated to an all-new six-speed electronically-controlled automatic overdrive transmission with intelligence (ECT-i). The new transmission will help deliver quiet and smooth performance on par with a V6 and acceleration that is surprisingly quick for a four-cylinder. When equipped with a tow package, the new powerplant will achieve a maximum towing capacity of 3,500 pounds.

The new engine will come standard on the Highlander grade two-wheel-drive model equipped with two rows of seats, contributing to its excellent value. A third row seat package will also be available for families requiring additional seating capacity. Other key optional equipment will include an eight-way power driver's seat, manual rear air conditioning, and an AM/FM/six-disc CD Changer with satellite radio capability, MP3/WMA capability and six speakers.

With the new four-cylinder engine, Highlander will be the only mid-size SUV in the current market to offer three powerplant choices. The 3.5-liter Highlander V6, available in two- and full-time four-wheel drive, is among the leaders in fuel efficiency among V6 gas engines in its segment. The full-time 4WD-i Highlander Hybrid, equipped with a V6 powerplant with front and rear electric motors, stands above all others for fuel efficiency among all mid-size SUVs.

Since it first launched in 2001, Highlander has been one of Toyota's most popular vehicles, setting the standard for car-based SUVs in innovation, comfort and sales. Driver and passenger comfort is accomplished with segment leading seating versatility through innovative flexible seating functions for up to seven people. Comfort is complemented with one of the highest levels of standard safety features in the small- and mid-size SUV market including a segment-leading total of seven airbags.

·
Registered
21 Posts
an inside source says
cccccttgtgtgtgtgtgtgtgtgtgtgtgtgfr721
1. 20/26 mpg
2. only available in base trim
3. mid-january at dealers

if 2 is correct that is a BIG Mistake;
now even people with money want gas mileage AND luxury

·
Registered
21 Posts
sorry about the above typo line my parrot jumped on the keyboard just as i hit the submit button - seriously ROTFL

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
That's funny.

With the weight of the Highlander, I'd expect this model to be for those not often in a hurry. Is 20/26 much better than the current model?

·
Registered
21 Posts
18/24mpg currently with v6

i wish they would post 0-60 number...i wont buy a slug just to get 2 more mpg - would save me 5 month wait if its slooooooow ;)

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
180 plus HP from the 2.7 isn't bad at all. Not sure what the Highlander weighs but I'd guess 3500 or more. For 2 mpg I'd go for the V6 and have some available power for emergencies or light towing.

·
Procrastinating on TN
3,459 Posts
Well the current V6 higlander 0-60 is rated for 8.0 seconds, which is pretty quick, and it has an EPA rating or 18/24. The thing weigs 4.490 lbs. The 4 cyl. will undoubtedly be a tick lighter, and it is claimed to put out 187hp/186 lb.ft., compared to the V6's 270 hp, and 248 lb. ft. So the 4cyl. you can expect to be slower, although they did say the transmission and other components have been improved. It'll probably be 0-60 in like what, 10-11 seconds? My guess is that 20/26 mpg is a little low, I bet people who do mixed driving will be able to squeeze 25 out. The question is, is 3 seconds slower to 60 worth another 3 or 4 mpg?

·
Procrastinating on TN
3,459 Posts
Edit: the Consumer reports website said it weighed 4,490, which must be a mistake. I believe it actually weight 3,900.

I'm betting that Toyota is going to sell the crap out of these, even if they don't end up being all they are cracked up to be.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I'm betting that Toyota is going to sell the crap out of these, even if they don't end up being all they are cracked up to be.
I bet you are 100% right. People will flock to the 4 cylinder version believing it to be much magically more fuel efficient...(which is probably how it will be marketed) Oh well. They will be getting a well made and very safe vehicle in the process. Not such a bad thing.

All of the other carmakers will be doing the same thing... marketing marginally more fuel efficient vehicles are "Improved MPG" models. Why not Toyota?

·
Procrastinating on TN
3,459 Posts
There's a lot of people who really could give a crap less about the performance of their car, but if the 4 cyl has a lower initial cost, and saves you a few bucks a month on gas, a lot of people will be down. :cool: Compared to my truck, this thing is going to be a Ferrari, so I'd be down too. :disappoin

·
My celica loves twistys.
659 Posts
why are you guys concerned about its 0-60 times

are you seriusly going to be at every light waiting to step on the gas to go fast super quick
they can give this thing 400hp and people wont even touch 20% of its power in safe sane driving

186ft/lbs of torque should be enough

its a familly suv
not an offroading monster truck

·
Registered
41 Posts
why are you guys concerned about its 0-60 times?
Merging on the freeway is safer if you can "pass" whoever is coming by and merge quickly. If you have to slow down or stop, you might hit a car parked in the shoulder after the end of the on ramp. I've seen many of these in my life: a car stopped 20 ft after on ramp for a blown tire or whatnot, eager to get hit.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
why are you guys concerned about its 0-60 times

are you seriusly going to be at every light waiting to step on the gas to go fast super quick
So... you'd like to give up say... 75 horsepower in your car? (since you don't need it)

Acceleration is important for normal daily driving safety. An extremely slow vehicle has trouble merging into traffic or even turning across a couple of lanes without being hit. Stopping and waiting for traffic to"clear" is not always an option and increases the risk of being rear-ended. Nobody is saying it needs to be a Ferrari, but acceptable acceleration is a needed item.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So Toyota isn't doing too good with the Hybrid version of the Highlander or something, why do they have to make a 4 cylinder version? Or are they planning to make a 4 cylinder hybrid version like the Camry later on?

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Money.

This version would be substantially cheaper than a Hybrid and somewhat less than the V6 versions (which have become quite expensive over the last few years). Many consumers have been wanting lesser expensive and more fuel efficient versions of the popular SUVs. You can bet they will get them if carmakers think there are sales there.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If you guys recall, the highlander used to be offered in the I4 and V6 trims. My family has an 05 v6 (before the current body design). Driving both the I4 and V6's, if you're just carrying people, and just driving around town, the I4 is totally the way to go. Even the old I4 was enough to lug the highlander around loaded. But it is the highway where the I4 lacked, and where the V6 really shines. I think with the extra weight of the new larger body, the extra HP to weight ratio remains fairly similar to the old highlander with the old I4. So if you're a city driver and go on highways infrequently, or rarely/never find yourself needing the (now excessive v6) extra power, then I think that 2.7L is excellent.

Its funny reading one of the posts about about giving up 75hp because I recently traded in my Camry for a Fit and i did give up about 80hp - although i also lost about 800 pounds - but I do miss that v6, and indeed short merges and passing on the highway is something i'm no longer super confident about. Is it a major safety issue? No i think not. It demands you to be a smarter driver who is more aware of his/her surroundings and to just plan ahead. Realizing this isnt always possible, i guess they made the Fit very agile and loaded with awesome brakes...ahha.

What would make me recommend the I4 highlander to my family and friends is if the fuel economy was 4+ more mpg improvement over the V6. If its less, then i would stick with the v6, since it does give you the extra power when needed -emergencies or just really heavy loads.

·
Procrastinating on TN
3,459 Posts
So... you'd like to give up say... 75 horsepower in your car? (since you don't need it)

Acceleration is important for normal daily driving safety. An extremely slow vehicle has trouble merging into traffic or even turning across a couple of lanes without being hit. Stopping and waiting for traffic to"clear" is not always an option and increases the risk of being rear-ended. Nobody is saying it needs to be a Ferrari, but acceptable acceleration is a needed item.
Although you are kinda right, I think blacken is right to in that most people don't need a very powerful car. My truck is one of the slowest accelerators you'll drive in, and I'm doing ok. 186 lb/ft. is plently to drive safely, you just can't be stupid and try to shoot every tiny gap. For people who are on a little tighter budget and do most of their driving in the city, 4 bangers are usually the way to go. Cuz like I said, most people who wouldn't know the difference between a radiator and a wet paper bag aren't going to give a crap.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Yeah, I'll concede that most people are total idiots anyway... We sure don't want them having powerful cars too! :D Like I said, All you Reilly need is acceptable acceleration.

·
Blue Ribbon FTW!
697 Posts
humm new motor? or just a re-design updated 3rz-fe 2.7 liter Tacoma motor?
I believe it's an all new motor. It is going to be in the Venza and the 2010 refresh of the Camry.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
30 Participants
rah07
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing