Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Blue Ribbon FTW!
697 Posts

·
My celica loves twistys.
659 Posts
So... you'd like to give up say... 75 horsepower in your car? (since you don't need it)

Acceleration is important for normal daily driving safety. An extremely slow vehicle has trouble merging into traffic or even turning across a couple of lanes without being hit. Stopping and waiting for traffic to"clear" is not always an option and increases the risk of being rear-ended. Nobody is saying it needs to be a Ferrari, but acceptable acceleration is a needed item.
there is a difference from going 30 to 40 to pass someone up
and when you get on the freeway your not going on the ramp from a dead stop.

but your right ACCEPTABLE acceleration is required.

but good acceleration is not always a good thing

ill give a little example
in the poorer hoods around town XD here in houston
people with slower/not fast cars drive smarter :thumbsup:

in the richer hoods people drive more drasticly :ugh3:

its why i ask why yall got absessed with the acceleration
kinda reminds me of these dumb rich boy :lol: who reved their big cuv going vroom vroom
pealing off laughing :disappoin

only to stop at a light like a few yards in front of us :disappoin
i rolled up in my rolly polly rolla and laughed :lol:

ok let me stop before i get off topic i didnt take my ADD medication today

yes i agree with you good sir
slow car not always good
acceptable is recomeneded
eccesive leads to people doing stupid things <= not everyone is a safe driver i know some people got strong cars and use them conservitevely and at teh right time
some just downright abuse it

nothing like a bmw darting through lanes haphazerdly becouse someone isnt going 20 miles over the speed limet and they zip throught the lanes

·
Newbie One Kanobi
8,643 Posts
^^I agree, generally a person with "low" power will drive more safely. But also consider if car A has x amount of power and car B has less. Its possible car B can either out run or keep up with car A? Another factor is weight. That's a big one. I know its not an SUV or CUV but my car just makes over 100bhp. Sure its light but I still have to calculate and know my cars limits and what not, especially that its an auto. But its not as bad as it sounds. Its peppy and has good low end torque, I know that sounds funny in an economy car but you'd be surprised.

Most cars out there go from 0-60 in about the same time as my car. Why? Cause of weight. Sure they have more top end power and more passing power but just an interesting fact.

I think once you know your car, you can be smart about merging. There are going to instances you have to floor it for "safety" reasons. In order to catch up or match hwy speed which most people don't where I live. It pisses me off. They slow down. I'm like yeah its called an on ramp to match speed, not slow down to 40mph and kill everyone on the hwy and me behind them.

End of rant:headbang::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think they will sell more. Widening the engine lineup may create room for other/additional buyers. Relative Fuel efficiency + avoiding the hybrid premium.

·
Procrastinating on TN
3,459 Posts
there is a difference from going 30 to 40 to pass someone up
and when you get on the freeway your not going on the ramp from a dead stop.

but your right ACCEPTABLE acceleration is required.

but good acceleration is not always a good thing

ill give a little example
in the poorer hoods around town XD here in houston
people with slower/not fast cars drive smarter :thumbsup:

in the richer hoods people drive more drasticly :ugh3:

its why i ask why yall got absessed with the acceleration
kinda reminds me of these dumb rich boy :lol: who reved their big cuv going vroom vroom
pealing off laughing :disappoin

only to stop at a light like a few yards in front of us :disappoin
i rolled up in my rolly polly rolla and laughed :lol:

ok let me stop before i get off topic i didnt take my ADD medication today

yes i agree with you good sir
slow car not always good
acceptable is recomeneded
eccesive leads to people doing stupid things <= not everyone is a safe driver i know some people got strong cars and use them conservitevely and at teh right time
some just downright abuse it

nothing like a bmw darting through lanes haphazerdly becouse someone isnt going 20 miles over the speed limet and they zip throught the lanes
This is Pulitzer Prize material right here people...:ugh3:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Remember back in the late 80's and early 90's, mustang gts and eagle talon tsi were considered as quick sport cars with about 226 and 200hp. My dad had a new yorker with a something like 140hp and we thought it was fast! Now, family cars like camrys have 270+ hp. I think that lately, technology helped to make faster cars instead of more fuel efficient cars and now we are asking ourself if 180hp is enough in a highlander. The answer is yes until you are towing a lot. It will still quick ass to any family cars or suvs sold 15 years back and offer a more affordable price than the v6 and hybrid version. I hope toyota will put is hybrid system on the four system instead of the six. I like the idea behind the camry hybrid cause it makes for a good alternative to the v6 with similar price, nearly as good acceleration than the v6 but better mpgs than the four cylinder.

·
My celica loves twistys.
659 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I don't know where ya'll people live but here in Texas, it gets really really hot. I can't see myself driving around in a 4cylinder Highlander with every single windows rolled down and my whole family sweating like pigs. And I believe people who drives slower than other people are the one that gets into more accidents, a traffic officer told me that.

·
Wonderbread
1,721 Posts
And I believe people who drives slower than other people are the one that gets into more accidents, a traffic officer told me that.
thats because everyone now a days doesnt drive the speed limit anymore:D other than grandma and grandpa, with everyone going fast the slow people are gunna get hit

·
Banned
1 Posts
I don't think that people how drive slow go into trouble because to save the one how drive fast and dose not have controle on his car he get into troubles.I don't say to drive slow but have confidence and drive save.I think once you know your car, you can be smart about merging. There are going to instances you have to floor it for "safety" reasons. In order to catch up or match hwy speed which most people don't where I live. It pisses me off. They slow down. I'm like yeah its called an on ramp to match speed, not slow down to 40mph and kill everyone on the hwy and me behind them.

car auctions

·
Registered
130 Posts
if they have to beat the crap out of the 4cyl just to get an equivalent (or adequate) acceleration of a v6, then they wouldn't be saving much fuel (if any) at all. any stated mpg gain I guess should be taken with a grain of salt as it does not take into account driving styles

·
Wonderbread
1,721 Posts
yeah but people will think theyre saving alot more just because its a 4 cyl. end of story, thats most likely why theyll sell over the V6, 187 hp isnt slow, the old 22RE 4Runners and Tacomas were, 105hp-112 depending on the year, and the turbo version was 135hp, which in those trucks is SSLOWWWWW even the 3vz-e wasnt nothing too fast, but it was a step upand now that theres a 4cyl that makes more power than the old V6's used to they should sell no problem

·
Registered
163 Posts
When did acceleration become such a safety issue? Unless you find yourself in a situation where someone could instantly broadside you, it doesn't make much sense to me. Besides, in my uneducated opinion, a lot of the advertised horsepower (in many makes and models) is lost in improperly geared transmissions and the rest is locked up in the really high RPM ranges that no one ever uses unless they are preparing to do a burnout. A correctly geared, low hp engine would probably do just fine.

Speaking of which, does the base trim on this new Highlander mean that it will not have AWD? I can't imagine that it could possibly come in stick shift...

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
1. Its not about peak hp its about broad flat power band. My TSX makes 205hp, yet acceleration down low in the rpm is utter crap.

2. You want acceleration look at torque numbers instead of hp. Low end torque will drastically help acceleration.

We need a dyno graph for this new engine!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well the current V6 higlander 0-60 is rated for 8.0 seconds, which is pretty quick, and it has an EPA rating or 18/24. The thing weigs 4.490 lbs. The 4 cyl. will undoubtedly be a tick lighter, and it is claimed to put out 187hp/186 lb.ft., compared to the V6's 270 hp, and 248 lb. ft. So the 4cyl. you can expect to be slower, although they did say the transmission and other components have been improved. It'll probably be 0-60 in like what, 10-11 seconds? My guess is that 20/26 mpg is a little low, I bet people who do mixed driving will be able to squeeze 25 out. The question is, is 3 seconds slower to 60 worth another 3 or 4 mpg?
kn,

Where did you get your 8.0 sec number? Look at this link:

http://www.autos.com/autos/sport utility/midsize/2009/toyota/highlander/sport_style8.

The base model gets 6.3 sec 0-60 and 6.4 for the model up. So I assume the 2.7L-I4 may be around 8 secs, I hope?

·
Jeep Survivor
51 Posts
Glad to hear about this

I have a 4-cyl highlander (2004) that has less HP than the 2009 will have, but it has NO problem with acceleration. When I found that the 2008 models were V6-only, I was disappointed and told the dealer that I probably would never buy another highlander because of that. I'm glad they made the decision to offer a 4-cylinder again. It's really all most people need. If you plan to tow, you would be better off with the V6. But the 4-cyl is not underpowered. I love horsepower, but I don't like spending more than I need to. My highlander gets 30 mpg on the highway if I keep it to 65 MPH. But it will run 80 MPH all day with no sweat.

But I also agree with the previous comment that the 4-cyl 2009 should not be limited to just the base trim level. That would be a big mistake. If I could have bought a Limited-trim version with the 4-cylinder engine, that's what I would have. As it is, mine has a number of options - nice wheels, electric seats, sunroof... It was hard to find a 4-cyl with a sunroof!

·
Registered
22 Posts

August 14, 2008 - Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., announced today that the 2009 Highlander mid-size sport utility vehicle (SUV) will offer an all-new, powerful yet fuel-efficient 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine. When it arrives at dealerships in mid-to-late January, the new Highlander powerplant will be among the best mid-size SUVs in the areas of performance, fuel economy and value.

The new 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine will generate an impressive 187 horsepower at 5,800 RPM and 186 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,100 RPM on regular 87 octane fuel. A dual exhaust manifold will help achieve exceptional low-end torque and maximize its power output. In addition to its performance output, the Highlander equipped with the new four-cylinder will be EPA-rated as an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEVII) and is expected to be among the leaders in fuel efficiency in the gas mid-size SUV segment. Official EPA fuel efficiency ratings will be announced closer to launch.

The new four-cylinder engine will be mated to an all-new six-speed electronically-controlled automatic overdrive transmission with intelligence (ECT-i). The new transmission will help deliver quiet and smooth performance on par with a V6 and acceleration that is surprisingly quick for a four-cylinder. When equipped with a tow package, the new powerplant will achieve a maximum towing capacity of 3,500 pounds.

The new engine will come standard on the Highlander grade two-wheel-drive model equipped with two rows of seats, contributing to its excellent value. A third row seat package will also be available for families requiring additional seating capacity. Other key optional equipment will include an eight-way power driver's seat, manual rear air conditioning, and an AM/FM/six-disc CD Changer with satellite radio capability, MP3/WMA capability and six speakers.

With the new four-cylinder engine, Highlander will be the only mid-size SUV in the current market to offer three powerplant choices. The 3.5-liter Highlander V6, available in two- and full-time four-wheel drive, is among the leaders in fuel efficiency among V6 gas engines in its segment. The full-time 4WD-i Highlander Hybrid, equipped with a V6 powerplant with front and rear electric motors, stands above all others for fuel efficiency among all mid-size SUVs.

Since it first launched in 2001, Highlander has been one of Toyota's most popular vehicles, setting the standard for car-based SUVs in innovation, comfort and sales. Driver and passenger comfort is accomplished with segment leading seating versatility through innovative flexible seating functions for up to seven people. Comfort is complemented with one of the highest levels of standard safety features in the small- and mid-size SUV market including a segment-leading total of seven airbags.

Cool wish I could of had Auto in my 2007 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
30 Participants
rah07
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing