Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Driver Score is pretty critical of how I drive. It says I make too many sudden accelerations and too many harsh turns. But that's what makes driving the Highlander fun!

The best explanation of how the score works is over on the Lexus site.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
That makes driving any car more fun... LOL
Just thinking out loud, if people use that app which basically tracks every movement of the car (as long as the data is no longer contained within just the on-board black box yet can be retrieved remotely), might as well subscribe one of those free auto insurance OBD-II dongles and get a little discount out of it.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on my score, I probably wouldn't get a discount, which is crazy to me. The three things it's measuring are not at all reflective of my overall driving habits, although a study from NHTSA would beg to differ. They found a strong correlation between people who are accident-prone and the three metrics the app is watching. It's referenced on that Lexus page in the link above.

When you set up the car with the Toyota App, go slow and pay a lot of attention to each screen. It will ask you to consent to various data sharing options, including sharing this driver score stuff with "third-party insurance providers for the purpose of insurance offers". On the iPhone, there's a "Don't Share" option way up in the upper right corner on those screens. If you're just looking at the main part of the screen, all you see is a big "OK" button at the bottom. To find out what it might ask you during the setup process, go through the app once in "Demo Mode". It will walk you through adding a demo vehicle (it provides the VIN) to the app.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
260 Posts
Riddle me this: why would I want this app?

My Highlander lane alarms far more often than our other cars. They would likely count that against me, for example.

Besides tracking where I am (they know where the car is, not matter what) what other metrics am I sharing and not actually telling me (which is against 2020 CA law now, btw - see there is little bit of good law here.)

AND NOT BEING COMPENSATED FOR?

Sorry, I am just a curmudgeon at heart.....

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited AWD - Magnetic Gray
170 Posts
The Lane alarm is not one of the metrics... I believe it’s harsh braking, harsh cornering, and harsh acceleration. They don’t share anything unless you consent to it and being toyota I doubt they would try some funny business in the sly in that department.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want the app for Remote Start. Everything else is interesting once in a while but not worth paying the annual fee for the cellular service IMO. But Remote Start that works from my office - that I'm willing to pay for. That means I'll get everything else just for entertainment value. If you pay for either Remote Connect or Safety Connect (the SOS button), then Service Connect is included.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts