Toyota Nation Forum banner

Toyota Avalon + Bombs kill scores in central Baghdad

2K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Brea 
#1 · (Edited)
Now........ Why waste a nice Avalon......??? What a waste... . I have also seen destroyed Land Cruisers.

Can't they find any other manufacturer's vehicles to blow up? Oh that is right. Most of the world doesn't have many Fords and Chevys. That is bad for Toyota.

These people have no value for human life forget cars.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/07/11/bad_recall/index.html

NBC News and news services
Updated: 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Bombings and a mortar attack struck Shiite targets in Baghdad and north of the capital on Monday, killing around 100 people and wounding scores in a further sign of what appeared to be a renewed campaign of Sunni insurgent violence. The Sunni mayor of a hotbed of insurgent violence was also kidnapped.
The U.S. military also reported the deaths of two Marines, raising the two-day death toll to 27 in a particularly bloody weekend for American forces in Iraq.
Monday's first blast, a parked car bomb, tore through stalls of vendors peddling DVDs and secondhand clothes shortly after noon in the Bab al-Sharqi market between Tayaran and Tahrir squares — one of the busiest parts of Baghdad. Seconds later, a suicide car bomber drove into the crowd.

See less See more
#5 ·
RAV4EVR said:
Now........ Why waste a nice Avalon......??? What a waste... . I have also seen destroyed Land Cruisers.

Can't they find any other manufacturer's vehicles to blow up? Oh that is right. Most of the world doesn't have many Fords and Chevys. That is bad for Toyota.
Good grief is this the most important part of the story here? Even in this you have time to take shots at American cars? :rolleyes:

RAV4EVR said:
These people have no value for human life forget cars.
It's probably semi-important that you mentioned that.

I think the Prez is doing the right thing by sending more troops, they are needed especially since we're not pulling out anytime soon anyway....

#6 ·
Z28Wilson said:
Good grief is this the most important part of the story here? Even in this you have time to take shots at American cars? :rolleyes:
Correct. :clap:

You don't miss any oppertunity to show your "feelings" against Toyota either. :rolleyes: ...... so whatever...... :rolleyes:

#13 · (Edited)
JMSinMD said:
That car was damaged as a result of the bomb. The vehicle that the bomb/bomber was in would be unrecognizable.
Yea, thats what I'm thinking after looking at the picture.

I mean the car didn't appear to go up in a big ball of fire and it appears the back small window is intact. Then again, the blast could have happen near to the right side making the left side seem unscar.

#14 ·
Z28Wilson said:

It's probably semi-important that you mentioned that.

I think the Prez is doing the right thing by sending more troops, they are needed especially since we're not pulling out anytime soon anyway....

Our troops will be pulling out if Hillary Clinton becomes the next Prez. No more lifes are needed to be lost due to one person command.

#15 ·
aznstylez said:
Our troops will be pulling out if Hillary Clinton becomes the next Prez. No more lifes are needed to be lost due to one person command.
unfortunately I doubt that, but everyone can dream. Let's not turn this general discussion topic into a political debate. That's for off topic :)

#16 ·
RAV4EVR said:
Well, here in Italy, Fords outnumber Toyotas on the road at least 3 to 1. And there are quite a number of Opels and Vauxhalls running about (GM Europe). But hey, I think the point of this story was massive losses incurred in a suicide bombing, not the make of the car...I guess that's not important though.

#18 ·
dsmnick said:
Well, here in Italy, Fords outnumber Toyotas on the road at least 3 to 1. And there are quite a number of Opels and Vauxhalls running about (GM Europe). But hey, I think the point of this story was massive losses incurred in a suicide bombing, not the make of the car...I guess that's not important though.
Try reading this again, "Most of the world.......... "

Ever been to Asia... Africa?

Did you get it yet? I don't think so. Your kind never do.

#19 ·
eyeball96 said:
Thats not the first Toyota I've seen destroyed while watching the News....blowin up alot of Chevy trucks the Iraqi police/terrorist drive now.....not to mention Humvees...GM is sure makin money off this fucked up war!!............I'll STFU now!!!...Don't get me started!!
Most of those Chevys and Fords have been " I M P O R T E D " by the US forces themselves... After all they need to know that America is fighting them... :lol: ..... and what is better to represent America outside USA.. other than Ford and GM...... ASK DSMNICK... He will tell you.

#20 ·
Maybe its because Toyotas are so reliable that after that bomb goes off, they can still sell the car in running condition?

#22 ·
aznstylez said:
No more lifes are needed to be lost due to one person command.
3,000 lives lost in a 4+ year campaign to fight terrorism as opposed to 3,000+ lives lost in one day due to terrorism...that isn't to say that 1 life lost isn't too many, but somehow perspective always gets lost in this whole thing....

#23 · (Edited)
Lots of cars sold here are also sold in Iraq( not just the Humvee's for the U.S. or the UN's armored Suburbans and Land Cruisers).

In fact, many of Toyotas products are very similar to what they sell here. They have the 4runner (which is called a Land Cruiser) and Tacomas there. Pathfinders, Trailblazers, etc. are also very popular. Chevy sells a Colorado pickup with a different front end. The Korean car makers are there, too.

Surprising enough, but the baghdad area has a big middle class. Not everyone drives those crappy cars you see on CNN. A lot of the cars they sell here were also sold there.

This is kind of a scary video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTipRevJjCY

You can see that non-military contractors, UN, and ambassadors, etc use traditional SUVs outfitted with armored plates, runflat tires, and bullet proof glass. Here is a convoy going through bagdad...warning...little scary. You can see older Buicks, Toyotas, and what looks like older Hyundais in the streets.

#24 ·
Z28Wilson said:
3,000 lives lost in a 4+ year campaign to fight terrorism as opposed to 3,000+ lives lost in one day due to terrorism...that isn't to say that 1 life lost isn't too many, but somehow perspective always gets lost in this whole thing....
where are the WMDs i can't find them:ugh3:
I pesonaly don't want to see another Flag draped over a box that contains one of my friends.

#25 ·
tacomasrock said:
In fact, many of Toyotas products are very similar to what they sell here. They have the 4runner (which is called a Land Cruiser) and Tacomas there.
The 4Runner is not called a Land Cruiser anywhere in the world. Two very different trucks.

I thought the Tacoma was not available there but the HILUX was available.
I thought the 4Runner was called a Hilux Surf there.

Were you in Iraq?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.