Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Toyota Technocraft
1984 AE86
163 Posts
It sure is interesting. I wouldn't drive one, but I could see it here. Will it still be called the IQ here?

·
'09 iQ Diesel
iQ
792 Posts
They are mixing the fuel economy a little in that article, comparing US fuel economy for the Prius with EU fuel economy for the iQ.

The new Prius gets 25km/l in Europe, which is only matched by the diesel version of the iQ (25km/l). The fuel economy of the 1.0 (23,8km/l) is on par with the current Prius.

BTW. The 1.0 and new 1.33 are fitted into Aygo and Yaris giving them class leading fuel economy for petrol engines.

·
The Toyota Guru
2013 BMW 328i xDrive
332 Posts
And here is the Scion iQ Concept that debuted on the NY Auto Show floor

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
I like small cars, I just hope the price tag matches the quality and the experience like it does in the Honda Fit. The Yaris is cheap but of course you get what you paid for, a modest but cheap interior in an otherwise decent car. The Nissan Versa is cheap because its made in Mexico and sadly means your interior will fall apart or come loose thus rattle in 1 year ruining the idea Japanese brand cars are built well. The Honda Fit is expensive...but you do get some good quality material and a great driving experience unlike the Civic which only has the nice interior but they forgot to make it fun to drive.

The design kind of reminds me of the Renault Clio V6, the price tag increase would be totally worth it if this Toyota was that sort of car and also make up for the fact the MR2 is gone.

·
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
2009 Yaris Sedan
138 Posts
The Yaris is cheap but of course you get what you paid for, a modest but cheap interior in an otherwise decent car.
Now that's just silly. The interior of even the base trim Yaris is quite nice, not "cheap." The S is a bit fancier.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Now that's just silly. The interior of even the base trim Yaris is quite nice, not "cheap." The S is a bit fancier.
Uh, no its not silly there's no question the Yaris plastics are quite cheap not only are they hard plastics but they scratch fairly easily. Its not as cheap and low quality as the 2009 Corolla but surprisingly lesser in quality than a Hyundai Accent even though that car doesn't have a good interior(each one has a hole through them). Having the dash mounted in the center is another item that makes it cheap, saves them money from making different panels for LHD and RHD cars. If this is an item that everybody loves then its a great cost saving measure with no drawbacks but so far its a love or hate item. Nobody followed this trend in an attempt to save a few dollars. The chunky dials clustered together when it wasn't necessary. The base 3-door Yaris has no adjustable door mirrors which I don't understand, not as horrible as Chrysler's idea of leaving this out of the Caravan which has several blindspots but this shouldn't be the case in any car. This is why I felt made the Yaris have a cheap interior, items that probably add an extra $500-1000 to the pricetag but would make it a higher quality interior.

Now, let me be clear I do like the Yaris but its bound to have flaws which I expect with its low MSRP. I do think Toyota did some good things with its interior. Did Toyota do a good job at styling the interior? I think they did reasonably well, unlike a depressing base Aveo/Wave/Suzuki+ or the disgusting Chrysler interiors which are cheap and gross to look at. This might be at what your getting at. Is it clever? Actually yes, the entire interior is rather functional, no wasted space. There are good things to the interior in the Yaris but in the end with cheap materials its a cheap interior. Styling can be deceptive, I initially thought the 2009 Corolla had a good interior until I accidentally scratched the console plastic with my zipper.

·
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
2009 Yaris Sedan
138 Posts
I don't expect book matched walnut veneer dashboards and Connolly leather upholstery in an economy car. But I disagree that the plastic panels look "cheap" or are unusually easily damaged. I've had cars with a lot worse! Everything is fitted together very precisely with no misalignments, gaps or rattles in the three Yarises my family have, and IMO they give an impression of quality when you sit in the car. There certainly are many luxury features it doesn't have, but "cheap" isn't a word I'd use. Toyota's news releases say they focused on building affordable cars that people would be proud to own, and they've done that nicely.

As for the center cluster, it's been repeated over and over by reviewers (not Toyota) since the introduction of the Echo that it's a cost saving measure to avoid expenses of changing from right hand to left hand drive, but that can't be true. Look at the dash panel parts. They are all asymmetrical. Nothing could interchange between the two configurations except perhaps the instrument cluster itself. Nor does any of it interchange between the Yaris liftback series and the Yaris sedan (which are two very different cars.) It's a styling decision, not a cost saving one. Personally, I like it. Takes a few minutes to get used to it, that's all. It's closer to the straight-ahead line of sight than the driver's side mirror, whch I hope you regard frequently, and the instruments are unobstructed by the steering wheel. I like the open feel with better close visibility straight ahead than in most cars.

If you prefer something else, good, drive that and be happy with it. I'll do likewise with my Yaris, with which I'm well satisfied. :D

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I don't expect book matched walnut veneer dashboards and Connolly leather upholstery in an economy car. But I disagree that the plastic panels look "cheap" or are unusually easily damaged. I've had cars with a lot worse! Everything is fitted together very precisely with no misalignments, gaps or rattles in the three Yarises my family have, and IMO they give an impression of quality when you sit in the car. There certainly are many luxury features it doesn't have, but "cheap" isn't a word I'd use. Toyota's news releases say they focused on building affordable cars that people would be proud to own, and they've done that nicely.

As for the center cluster, it's been repeated over and over by reviewers (not Toyota) since the introduction of the Echo that it's a cost saving measure to avoid expenses of changing from right hand to left hand drive, but that can't be true. Look at the dash panel parts. They are all asymmetrical. Nothing could interchange between the two configurations except perhaps the instrument cluster itself. Nor does any of it interchange between the Yaris liftback series and the Yaris sedan (which are two very different cars.) It's a styling decision, not a cost saving one. Personally, I like it. Takes a few minutes to get used to it, that's all. It's closer to the straight-ahead line of sight than the driver's side mirror, whch I hope you regard frequently, and the instruments are unobstructed by the steering wheel. I like the open feel with better close visibility straight ahead than in most cars.

If you prefer something else, good, drive that and be happy with it. I'll do likewise with my Yaris, with which I'm well satisfied. :D
Well said! I do not find the interior of the Yaris to be any better nor any worse than the interior of the Corolla, or the Camry for that matter. I do agree that the perception is that the interior plastic seems to be getting worse, but that is happening across the board, in all new Toyota models, and not just in the Yaris. Perhaps it is the colour that makes it seem particularly bad; perhaps the predominantly dark colour of the Yaris instrument panel makes it seem particularly cheap. I personally do not like the grey interiors of the Camry, because it seems to be very old and faded before its time.

As for the centre-mounted instruments in the Yaris, I have to disagree with the critics (whom I find to be too conservative and not willing to consider new designs) and agree with Yaris Hilton that it is better than the traditional location behind the steering wheel. In my current Gen6 Camry, for instance, I find that I check the time more often than I check the speedometer, because the clock is mounted centrally and at the base of the windshield, making it much easier to just dip my eyes to check rather than having to dip my head to check the speed. I also have the steering wheel at a not-quite-ideal angle because doing so would block the top of the instruments.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Uh, no its not silly there's no question the Yaris plastics are quite cheap not only are they hard plastics but they scratch fairly easily. Its not as cheap and low quality as the 2009 Corolla but surprisingly lesser in quality than a Hyundai Accent even though that car doesn't have a good interior(each one has a hole through them). Having the dash mounted in the center is another item that makes it cheap, saves them money from making different panels for LHD and RHD cars. If this is an item that everybody loves then its a great cost saving measure with no drawbacks but so far its a love or hate item. Nobody followed this trend in an attempt to save a few dollars. The chunky dials clustered together when it wasn't necessary. The base 3-door Yaris has no adjustable door mirrors which I don't understand, not as horrible as Chrysler's idea of leaving this out of the Caravan which has several blindspots but this shouldn't be the case in any car. This is why I felt made the Yaris have a cheap interior, items that probably add an extra $500-1000 to the pricetag but would make it a higher quality interior.

Now, let me be clear I do like the Yaris but its bound to have flaws which I expect with its low MSRP. I do think Toyota did some good things with its interior. Did Toyota do a good job at styling the interior? I think they did reasonably well, unlike a depressing base Aveo/Wave/Suzuki+ or the disgusting Chrysler interiors which are cheap and gross to look at. This might be at what your getting at. Is it clever? Actually yes, the entire interior is rather functional, no wasted space. There are good things to the interior in the Yaris but in the end with cheap materials its a cheap interior. Styling can be deceptive, I initially thought the 2009 Corolla had a good interior until I accidentally scratched the console plastic with my zipper.
Have you forgotten that the MINI has always had a centrally-mounted speedometer? Why does there seem to be so little criticism of the MINI's instruments (in a very expensive vehicle), yet putting the Yaris' instruments in the centre makes an inexpensive car even cheaper?

I find the MINI's centrally-mounted speedometer even harder to get used to than the traditional location behind the steering wheel, because it is too low, forcing the driver to takes eyes off the road for an even longer period of time than looking behind the steering wheel does.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
I don't expect book matched walnut veneer dashboards and Connolly leather upholstery in an economy car. But I disagree that the plastic panels look "cheap" or are unusually easily damaged. I've had cars with a lot worse! Everything is fitted together very precisely with no misalignments, gaps or rattles in the three Yarises my family have, and IMO they give an impression of quality when you sit in the car.
That's called build quality, that has nothing to do with the quality of the materials. That has everything to do with how its put together in the factory and I didn't criticize this. The Nissan Versa has a mildly higher quality interior than the Yaris but as I've mentioned it falls apart because of how badly built the car is.

There certainly are many luxury features it doesn't have, but "cheap" isn't a word I'd use. Toyota's news releases say they focused on building affordable cars that people would be proud to own, and they've done that nicely.
I didn't mention anything about luxury items. The lack of adjustable door mirrors on the base Yaris is just something I find very silly and I mentioned that Dodge is guilty of this in a more blind car.

If you prefer something else, good, drive that and be happy with it. I'll do likewise with my Yaris, with which I'm well satisfied.:D
If you like it, that's great. I myself am ok with this arrangement. Yet its something they could have done without. If this was Toyota trying to be daring, they should put it on every car in their lineup if they really have confidence in this layout. If it really wasn't about cost...why do it?

Well said! I do not find the interior of the Yaris to be any better nor any worse than the interior of the Corolla, or the Camry for that matter. I do agree that the perception is that the interior plastic seems to be getting worse, but that is happening across the board, in all new Toyota models, and not just in the Yaris. Perhaps it is the colour that makes it seem particularly bad; perhaps the predominantly dark colour of the Yaris instrument panel makes it seem particularly cheap. I personally do not like the grey interiors of the Camry, because it seems to be very old and faded before its time.
No its not the colour. The feel and how easy they are to damage is what I'm talking about. They're just not durable and the Corolla's plastics can be damaged by a zipper...the only reason I know this is because I've accidentally done it. If it was all about colour then I'd be saying they look depressing or vibrant like in the case of Chrysler which I said look disgusting.

As for the centre-mounted instruments in the Yaris, I have to disagree with the critics (whom I find to be too conservative and not willing to consider new designs) and agree with Yaris Hilton that it is better than the traditional location behind the steering wheel. In my current Gen6 Camry, for instance, I find that I check the time more often than I check the speedometer, because the clock is mounted centrally and at the base of the windshield, making it much easier to just dip my eyes to check rather than having to dip my head to check the speed. I also have the steering wheel at a not-quite-ideal angle because doing so would block the top of the instruments.
I'd actually prefer another layout. The standard layout is too old fashioned and the center mounted dash while neat is still not easily accessible. The 2006-present Civic actually has the most visible dash minus the tach, heck you can even see it from outside. its directly in front of the driver, and its digital so no guessing either.

Have you forgotten that the MINI has always had a centrally-mounted speedometer? Why does there seem to be so little criticism of the MINI's instruments (in a very expensive vehicle), yet putting the Yaris' instruments in the centre makes an inexpensive car even cheaper?

I find the MINI's centrally-mounted speedometer even harder to get used to than the traditional location behind the steering wheel, because it is too low, forcing the driver to takes eyes off the road for an even longer period of time than looking behind the steering wheel does.
I personally always felt the MINI is a rip off so no I didn't forget it, plus its owned by the Germans so you'll never get a good price be it a VW or a Maybach. Its also a love or hate car, if you love it the center mounted dash is forgivable since its...somewhat faithful to the original(since it also had it right where the new one does) and if you hate it...well you just get another reason to hate it.

·
'09 iQ Diesel
iQ
792 Posts
If you think the instrument layout in the current Yaris is good, then you should try the first generation. Not only was it centrally mounted (and equally criticized), but there were mirrors to give the illusion that the dials were placed far into the engine.

This doesn't sound smart, but it works because of the minimal change of focus between the road and large digital numbers.

Toyota sure made some bold moves with the first Yaris. The instruments were brilliant and the reviewers hated them, being digital, centrally mounted and surrounded by hard, easily scratchable and cleanable gray plastics. :cool:

I have a video of it somewhere...

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
It looks a promising car, it fits well with the Scion brand.

Good move by Toyota to bring an alternative to the smart car :thumbup:

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
If you think the instrument layout in the current Yaris is good, then you should try the first generation. Not only was it centrally mounted (and equally criticized), but there were mirrors to give the illusion that the dials were placed far into the engine.

This doesn't sound smart, but it works because of the minimal change of focus between the road and large digital numbers.

Toyota sure made some bold moves with the first Yaris. The instruments were brilliant and the reviewers hated them, being digital, centrally mounted and surrounded by hard, easily scratchable and cleanable gray plastics. :cool:

I have a video of it somewhere...
That's very interesting and I didn't know that, please do find that vid.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
I must admit, the plastics in the Yaris despite being easy to scratch are quite easy to clean. I had to clean a dirty City Golf today...low quality plastic but difficult to clean. Am I correct in saying the Euro spec Yaris has a complete digital dash versus the North American spec which is...half and half.

·
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
2009 Yaris Sedan
138 Posts
I would never want a digital speedometer or tach. Can't read 'em at a glance, even by peripheral vision, as you can with an analog display, and when they're rapidly changing they're pretty much unreadable.

Pontiac once ran an ad, IIRC in the early '80s when there was a fad to switch to digital displays, parodying the old Dial soap ad. They showed their analog gauges and said "Aren't you glad we use dials? Don't you wish everybody did?"
:clap:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I would never want a digital speedometer or tach. Can't read 'em at a glance, even by peripheral vision, as you can with an analog display, and when they're rapidly changing they're pretty much unreadable.

Pontiac once ran an ad, IIRC in the early '80s when there was a fad to switch to digital displays, parodying the old Dial soap ad. They showed their analog gauges and said "Aren't you glad we use dials? Don't you wish everybody did?" :clap:
That would be ironic, considering that the late-80s / early-90s Pontiac Grand Ams came with the "Tokyo-by-night" digital instrument clusters.

I imagine that the digital speedometers could be very distracting while speed -- and therefore the display -- is rapidly changing and the digits flashing by so quickly that the display cannot even be focused on. And who needs to know their speed down to the exact mile- or kilometre-per-hour? What really is the significance between 29 mph and 30 mph?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts