Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been 4 weeks now and that include one week of which Toyota Canada was informed of the situation. However they distribute or manage genuine parts in Canada/USA is unacceptable.

At the beginning of the summer my AC wasn't working. Parts needed I am told don't exist anywhere in their accessible parts facilities and no ETA is available. The season mandates parts need to exist not only taking more than 4 weeks if I even get a call Monday. I live a few hours from the largest city in Canada. I was told by the CR rep. its a reliable brand and know for it. Yeah well not in my opinion as it failed with less that 120,000km is not a robust system effectively shutting the door on the claim. I understand parts can fail especially initially if there is a manufacturing flaw. But after years of use and it fails is not the same situation, it broke down, quit failed!

The huge kicker in all this is Toyota cannot acquire the required parts in a timely fashion to effect a warranty repair. I have ceased using the HL due to the heat wave which I need AC for any distance. How many others are or waiting for their repairs I wonder. I think they're banking on a so called reputation which isn't factual as it may have been in the past.

I know for fact I will not part with my hard earned money on another one Toyota vehicle. 1st and last in my family and do mean family including friends. Many consult with me when looking for a vehicle. It will be Toyota's loss.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
If the a/c is the only problem you have had then rejecting the entire vehicle is like "throwing out the baby with the bath water."

Seems more a problem with dealer then the vehicle.
No a/c shops near you?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not the Dealer which is a big Toyota dealer. There aren't any parts available anywhere they have access to through toyota and its also warranty via Toyota if you bother to read carefully. Without parts their hands are tied until the parts become available. I was told the manufacture who supplies toyota may have to supply them the part into inventory so to speak or even manufacture it for them. Its a real mess and should never happen in this market with this OEM.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
This is for a 2012 HL, and it is still under warranty? How do you know it is not available in the USA? Did you ask a Toyota dealer in the USA or an online Toyota dealer in the USA that sells parts on the Internet?

The reliability of the vehicle is a separate issue from them being able to stock all the spare parts on a 7 year old vehicle. The fact that there has been a heat wave in many areas may have contributed to the supply issue on replacement AC parts.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Understand you want it fixed under warranty and you feel the parts supply chain is at fault.
Dealer is know for using only OEM parts when a substitute would work.

An a/c shop may be able to get it going for you if you need it now.
Additionally could be covered under warranty since Toyota can't fix it in a timely fashion.

Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was sold the Comprehensive Toyota warranty which was an additional 3yrs & 60k. I am sure they're smart enough to utilize all sources as its not up to me to dictate where to get the parts from, US or Canada. As above I am told there aren't parts anywhere (hence everywhere) this power train and engine combo exist in various lines they make so its not an exclusive item. I know the compressor is a key part that failed. It it was anywhere in North America it only takes a few days to ship across the country max. While 4 weeks is so far beyond any expectation of being normal. I wasn't working when the weather had just turned, we weren't in the middle of summer yet. In fact it was so cold I had the furnace running into the middle of June when I was finally able to turn it off.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Toyota's typically don't have "big" AC issues. If the parts you are looking for are "uncommon" then they are uncommon because they don't often have these issues. So exactly WHAT are you looking for that they DON't have? If anything, it's not that they don't have the part but rather it is a part of something bigger. What are you looking for?

·
Toyota Collector
11,813 Posts
I was sold the Comprehensive Toyota warranty which was an additional 3yrs & 60k. I am sure they're smart enough to utilize all sources as its not up to me to dictate where to get the parts from, US or Canada. As above I am told there aren't parts anywhere (hence everywhere) this power train and engine combo exist in various lines they make so its not an exclusive item. I know the compressor is a key part that failed. It it was anywhere in North America it only takes a few days to ship across the country max. While 4 weeks is so far beyond any expectation of being normal. I wasn't working when the weather had just turned, we weren't in the middle of summer yet. In fact it was so cold I had the furnace running into the middle of June when I was finally able to turn it off.
What part or parts need replacing? Compressor can be had in less than a week.

https://www.toyotapartsdirect.ca/p/Toyota__/COMPRESSOR-ASSEMBLY--COOLER/47926601/8832008150.html

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I said its up to the dealer and Toyota network to get the part for me as part of their warranty on their product. I have very limited information as any question is responded with they don't know and/or none are available anywhere. Maybe they don't utilize US inventories. But we in Canada do need prompt access to parts for repairs. I am saying all the above so that you and others would know what can happen as it has to me!!
The decision on your purchases etc are your own.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sounds like a troll. you'd rather roast than order the parts from the US and get reimbursed. The "I'll never buy another and I'm telling all my friends" bit is getting pretty tired.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a troll. you'd rather roast than order the parts from the US and get reimbursed. The "I'll never buy another and I'm telling all my friends" bit is getting pretty tired.
I am not hear to debate this.

Why should I be ordering from the US? Its Toyota's responsibility to get the parts to fulfil the warranty repair period and NOT my responsibility. Are they stupid and don't see its available there and for some reason won't order it from the US? I don't know but what I do know is the dealer cannot get the part from Toyota where ever its ordered through and its 4 weeks now. FACTS!!!

They saids when they get the parts I'll be called to arrange for the service. Thats it plan and simple. If there is a faster way then they should be aware of it Its all within their organization. Yeah I can and posted to address this after 4 weeks. If you engine was down for 4 weeks what would you say if the parts weren't available or any other key part.

At the end of the day there is nothing I can do other than notifying head office which I did a week ago. That being done I am waiting still for Toyota to acquire the Toyota parts they want/need to fix my HL. Its under warranty so its all under their tab and I don't dictate where they get it from nor will they tell me.

Geeze some of you are slow, clearly!!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I am not hear to debate this.

Why should I be ordering from the US? Its Toyota's responsibility to get the parts to fulfil the warranty repair period and NOT my responsibility. Are they stupid and don't see its available there and for some reason won't order it from the US? I don't know but what I do know is the dealer cannot get the part from Toyota where ever its ordered through and its 4 weeks now. FACTS!!!

They saids when they get the parts I'll be called to arrange for the service. Thats it plan and simple. If there is a faster way then they should be aware of it Its all within their organization. Yeah I can and posted to address this after 4 weeks. If you engine was down for 4 weeks what would you say if the parts weren't available or any other key part.

At the end of the day there is nothing I can do other than notifying head office which I did a week ago. That being done I am waiting still for Toyota to acquire the Toyota parts they want/need to fix my HL. Its under warranty so its all under their tab and I don't dictate where they get it from nor will they tell me.

Geeze some of you are slow, clearly!!
But what are you or they looking for? If they don't got the part, then they don't got the part because it may well not be a high demand for that part. So once again, what are you or they looking for? Toyota HQ of whatever country will stock whatever part they got if it is what is needed. If they don't got it, then you go aftermarket. If the part is just that hard to find, then it will be a very long time until you have that part. So one last time, what part are you or they looking for? If not, make them tell you what part because you will not get far complaining here. Parts are sourced from almost anywhere and everywhere whether that is OEM or aftermarket. Otherwise if you want to get rid of your Toyota there are many other brands out there that may suit your needs.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Why should I be ordering from the US? Its Toyota's responsibility to get the parts to fulfil the warranty repair period and NOT my responsibility.
You are correct about that. But that is one of the hazards of buying a Toyota in a country like Canada where the scale of the Toyota operations is much smaller than in the USA. The are not likely to keep every spare part for every vehicle in stock going back all the way to 2012 models. Also, sometimes they run out, due to unexpected demand for those parts.

It might be a good idea to get the part number from the dealer that they are trying to get, and see if you can find one in the USA and then let them know where you found it. It's not your responsibility to do that, but it just depends how soon you want it fixed.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Tripplec...yeah, bummer for sure. U say your "ac compressor" is main part that failed. If so, your might find it & related parts r avail in usa. Just thinking if me, I'd do some research on my own. :dunno:

btw...didn't have ac in some of my earlier vehicles. Still not sure how I survived not having. :wink:

·
Resident Nutcase
12,146 Posts
I'm just gonna say that acting like you can't drive the car because no AC is somewhat ridiculous living that far north in Canada. Lower the windows.... I do it all the time in TN during the 95-100F humid summers....

But you said compressor earlier, they can be ordered from may Toyota sites right now. I didn't see you say it, but I'm assuming you've checked other dealers or called their parts departments directly asking to order a part to check their leadtime? I know your expecting the dealer your talking to to handle everything in a timely manner, but at this point, I'd be taking matters into my own hands vs waiting to be handed a solution.

·
Toyota Collector
11,813 Posts
It doesn't make a lick of difference where the parts come from Toyota stocks parts all over the world. They might come from a warehouse in Vancouver, California, Texas, Japan or anywhere a dealer happens to have the part. The longest I've ever waited to get parts was 10 days from Japan. The only exception was when the parts guy "made a mistake" which translates to he didn't actually order the part then lied about it.

Toyota has the best parts system in the industry I think the OP is not telling us the whole story.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Auto manufacturers have to estimate how many spare parts to order from the supplier when the vehicles are built, especially if that part is no longer used in newer vehicles. They cannot order and store in a warehouse one of every part to be used during assembly and another to be used as a spare for each vehicle built and stay in business. Sometimes they may underestimate the number of spares they will need down the road, and have to go back to the supplier to have them make more, which is not cheap (if no longer used in new cars) and takes time.

It's probably not a coincidence that they are out of an AC part, during one of the worst heat waves in recent times.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
15 Participants
Men in Black
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing