Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a question regarding key programming for the Toyota Camry 2007. The door method doesn’t work so it’s gotta be a 2007 after that works. I’m wondering what all I need to get a remote smart key working for it. I ordered a couple of smart keys on eBay and I’ve got the car keys for Toyota and obd2 to laptop cables. Is there a software I can use along with a laptop? Free or paid? Thankful for any answers looking to get this done without a dealership

to be specific I just want to be able to lock and unlock the car without having to use a physical key

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
The Camry CE is missing very specific components needed for the key fob in addition to potential ECU reprogramming and whatever else is needed. If you are trying to reinitialize the key to the immobilizer you will need to (whatever they call it): VM006: Re-sync ECU & Immobilizer (2005+) The specific components needed DO NOT come with the car (as far as I remember and know).

·
Official PITA
'05 Solara 'Vert & '07 ES350
1,289 Posts
.....and I’ve got the car keys for Toyota and obd2 to laptop cables. Is there a software I can use along with a laptop? Free or paid?
From what I gather, you're going to need a copy of Techstream software, and the proper USB to OBD2 cable. (Can't guess if current cable will work or not.) You can buy the pair on Amazon, various prices, search for Techstream. I'd say not to pay over $50 for the pair.

For me, easiest install for the software is on a computer with Win7 32-bit operating system. If that sentence is meaningless to you, talk with local geeks.

Question: Are we really talking about a SMARTKEY, on a 5-speed (? Manual Trans ?) CE edition Camry?
The CE versions were least expensive models with very limited # bells an whistles. "Smart key" sounds out of place, mechanical keys with "immobilizer" chip in head, plus a dealer-installed Toyota remote sounds MUCH more likely. Remote door locks were not standard equipment on a 2007 CE.

Can you post photos of keys you bought, or links to ebay listings?

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
I’m sorry the Toyota is a SE! The listing was wrong when I bought it. It’s a SE 2007 with 5 speed automatic transmission
To confirm, do you have power seats?

·
Official PITA
1,289 Posts
Since your description of what car you have is foggy, let's get some basics clear, as in what kind of key, or is it the remote (?) you're actually looking for.

So is this the SMART KEY - also known as a Proximity Key ??
In this case (A) the car has a button on the dashboard, you push the button to start the car.

Or is this a metal key with a black plastic "head", or a metal key with red and black pushbuttons in the head - and the push-buttons are the remote control.
In this case (B) the car has a slot near steering wheel, the key goes into slot, you turn key to start car

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since your description of what car you have is foggy, let's get some basics clear, as in what kind of key, or is it the remote (?) you're actually looking for.

So is this the SMART KEY - also known as a Proximity Key ??
In this case (A) the car has a button on the dashboard, you push the button to start the car.

Or is this a metal key with a black plastic "head", or a metal key with red and black pushbuttons in the head - and the push-buttons are the remote control.
In this case (B) the car has a slot near steering wheel, the key goes into slot, you turn key to start car
i currently just have a regular key but the car has electronic locks. I would say B. I insert the key to start it. I’m looking for a remote to just lock and unlock the car

·
Official PITA
1,289 Posts
Straight from Toyota...
ROTFLMAO :cool:

Dear OP... read this thread from the top.
If you can't find the answer, ask a friend to read it to you, or (hint) go straight to post #4, and then to #11.
BTW: # means the same as "number"

I'm done, have a nice life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.