Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fixing to get a first car, and so I have been saving up and have decided that I would like a 92-96 model camry. My uncle has one of these (a 95) (and this is the reason I want one) that has 240,000 miles on it and they just replaced the tranny for the first time. He is a mechanic and has baby'd it from the day they got it used. It runs absolutely perfect and runs and drives great right now, and his wife uses it for five hours each morning because she delivers papers.

My question is, with so many miles on it, would it still be a good first car that could deliver many years of trouble free normal driving? It would only have to go back and forth from school and work and maybe once a year drive from kansas to louisiana (11 hour drive) and back.

Thanks for all your help and support, fellow camry lovers!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
it depends on servicing was the oil changed and how hard was it drove and are those highway miles?i seen toyotas with 400,000 original miles but thay where well kept and how much for it you can easily get a used moter and put it in if the price is right

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
My 93 has 223k miles and it probably runs better than most new cars out there. I have absolutely 0 complaints with it. It could use a bit more hp but it still drives excellent and gets the job done.:cool:

btw I paid $750 for mine's earlier this year and all it needed was front struts..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, they'd sell it for about 2000. Is that high?

Uh, and to Warlock... It was extremely well kept, as mentioned in my starting post, the owner was a mechanic who completely babied the car since they had it from 100,000 miles. The miles are, I would say, a good mix because she did a paper route so she was either on the highway or going 20 to throw papers. But they also used it for about a year for the family car in which time they drove it to florida from louisiana, and drove it around town/out of town (normal family use).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 2-door LE Coupe (which I was told is uncommon (?)) and the Book Value is from 2700-3100 because I am unsure wether or not it is 4-cylinder or a V6.

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
you'll probably have to do a bunch of maintenance on it, when its got that many miles small things go, radiator, brakes, cv boots....

the norm for a 12 year old car

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try 9 years old? :D

Still accepting responses, but How much do yall think I can get a gen3 camry for, with lower miles but in same condition? If I got that one, how much would I end up spending on it of maintenance?

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
this 94 Camry i got now is my first car :p:
we bought it in Jan 2003 for AU$7,000 and it had like 165,000km on it.....it was from a friend so that was fairly cheap, compared to about AU$11,000 for the same thing at a dealer :eek:
we spent like AU$1,000 or so fixing it up (new alternator, new radiator, a few more little things ;))
I also spent like AU$1,000 putting a bunch of little accessories on it :lol:

although i dont know the exact condition of this car you propose to buy, I think thats a pretty good deal you got :D

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
dhpcamry said:
Try 9 years old? :D

Still accepting responses, but How much do yall think I can get a gen3 camry for, with lower miles but in same condition? If I got that one, how much would I end up spending on it of maintenance?
have you test drive it?
my 93 4cyl dx stick shift has 225k miles, reliable car,
my mechanic friend was helping me do my first own oil change, and he was looking at the spark plug wires and asked me if i've ever done a tune up, i said wut is that. and he said those wires looks like never change. i told him all i did was oil change every 3k and rotate tire every other oil change, getting overall 30+ mpg, and dont' feel like fixing something that is not broken.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have driven it. But the driving condition was never questioned because it is my aunt and uncle's car - they wouldn't rip me off!

So basically now I want to know how many miles will this car last if take good care of, driven regularly? Is it almost all gone?

·
Registered
338 Posts
i spent 2200 on my 94 camry. It had 170K miles and just needed a tune-up. I think you could get away with 1700-1900 bargaining

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
I think you could get another 25k miles out of it before it needs a serious overhaul... I plan on driving my Camry for another 50k miles. I found a book of old receipts in the trunk a few months back and my timing belt/water pump was changed at 209k miles and my transmission was changed at 199k and the engine is original. I think mine will last a few more years. Its my primary car mainly for the winter season so it hasnt seen much driving these days. I took it to Atlantic City over the weekend and it drove excellent as usual !! Good luck with yours if you decide to get it dhp.:cool:

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,291 Posts
dhpcamry said:
Well, they'd sell it for about 2000. Is that high?
Here is the NADA listings that most dealers use:

NADA value for 1995 2dr 4cyl LE w/ 240k:
Low- $1950
Mid- $2975
High- $3800

NADA value for 1995 2dr 6cyl LE w/ 240k:
Low- $2375
Mid- $3475
High- $4350

IMO, $2K is a good deal as long as there isn't much maintenence to be done. Sorry about the mechanic part. I did read the post, but I got lost in a lot of different websites looking up values.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why do yall reply without reading? MY UNCLE IS A MECHANIC AND HAS PERFORMED ALL REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE HIMSELF, HE HAS BABIED IT FROM THE DAY HE GOT IT. Why would I take it to a mechanic if my uncle is one?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd call that a deal, I got my 93 LE V6 for $6,000, but with a third of the miles at 73k, and this car was very clean, except it was a smoker car, so it smelled like @$$ for a few weeks while I treated it with 2/3's of a bottle of fabreeze stuff. but according to KBB I did good.

I'd take the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts