Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
straight cash homie
18,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota Century: Looks Straight Out of the ’90s – but it’s Actually All New

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/10/believe-not-new-toyota-century.html
Toyota has pulled the wraps off of its new third-generation Toyota Century ahead of the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show.

That’s right – despite its old school looks and deliciously 1990s interior, the third-generation Century is a newly updated automobile. It has a 5.0-liter direct injection V8, which is coupled with a hybrid system for improved fuel economy over the outgoing model. It also benefits from specially developed tires for a softer ride and reduced road vibrations, new engine mounts and a new interior active noise cancellation system.

Speaking of the interior, it features wool upholstery, power adjustable rear seats with adjustable leg rests and an LCD panel in between the rear seats for controlling the heat and A/C, seat and audio controls. Other luxury features include a writing table, a reading light, a rear seat entertainment system and a 20-speaker premium audio system. There’s no better place to be when traveling through thick Tokyo traffic in your way to work, we imagine.

The new Toyota Century will make its official debut in Tokyo later this month. We never knew how much we wanted a throwback Japanese luxury sedan until now.
that wool upholestery

·
Premium Member
34,685 Posts
IDK, but I love 90s Toyota interiors...the velour was so soft. You can spec still many a JDM Toyota with cloth interiors

Velour is certainly a better choice than leather. :)

BTW, if I die I want to be reincarnated as that cat. :)

·
AutoBravado
1,554 Posts
It looks boxy American.
It does look "boxier" and American, but it's also a deeply refined look that puts me in my parents car as a kid, looking at some of the nicest 80's cars of that time, and thinking about how they could look better. When I did that, do you know some of what I imagined? What this car is now.

I don't know that it's a throwback to Toyota's vintage in anyway, but it hit at the heart of what I thought looked refined in the 80's, but with improved and excellent Toyota interior of the 90's.

I figured before I looked at the pictures, that they'd do a double din touch display, while still trying to be of an earlier period. Ignoring the big touch display, it's a car more about driving. Aren't many cars just getting too busy?

Now, at the driver's arm rest, there is a lot of buttons, but done in a 90's fashion, while at the same time looking at the refinement I see on luxury cars from Germany.

I'm actually deeply touched by this design if you can't tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts