Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i had this question in my mind for sometime
i want to tune my toyota echo and am thinking of 500 hp but i was afraid that the gearbox may not be able to handle such power so i was wondering can it actually handle such power?
and if not what should i do ? i thought about tuning the gearbox but it costs a lot tbh i was thinking about swapping my gearbox but i dont know how much will it cost and if there's a gearbox that is compatible with my engine
oh and btw my engine is 1NZ-FE 1.5L Manual Transmission
Thank in advance

· Registered
Toyota 87 pickup
383 Posts
So, how are you gonna get 500HP out of your 1.5 L? and WHY?

Next question is, if you going to do what it takes to get 500HP out of your engine. Drive the crap out of it, and if the trans snaps or the CV boots get torqued. I'm sure you would know how to replace the transmission these cars are matched up with the appropriate equipment to make the drive train smooth. I'm pretty sure I could hose a Manual Trans stock echo trans with just the stock engine alone if I wanted to red line it in every gear and burn the tires off of it at every stop sign.

So, you got the cash to mod the engine and muck up your 40MPG millage than I'm sure you can afford to have a few transmissions sitting around to drop in when you bust one right? Why worry? Just go for it.

· Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,654 Posts
hello, i had this question in my mind for sometime
i want to tune my toyota echo and am thinking of 500 hp but i was afraid that the gearbox may not be able to handle such power so i was wondering can it actually handle such power?
and if not what should i do ? i thought about tuning the gearbox but it costs a lot tbh i was thinking about swapping my gearbox but i dont know how much will it cost and if there's a gearbox that is compatible with my engine
oh and btw my engine is 1NZ-FE 1.5L Manual Transmission
Thank in advance

Are you being sarcastic? You'd either have to really reinforced the 1NZ-FE cause its not made for that kind of power. Or drop another engine in that and turbo it. But this car isn't made for that, the chassis isn't made for that. You have to do such an overhaul of the car you might as well get another car to be honest. not trying to be mean but the money you put into it get a more tunnable car. this is a low rent econo car. Nothing wrong with modding it but when its that much that's ridiculous.

· Registered
175 Posts
Having put quite a few cars with less aftermarket and community support than the echo/yaris into the 500whp club let me tell you, dont.

Unless you have some weird thing for having a brutally fast echo it is just not worth it. For the money, time and custom work I put into my vr4 (using that as an example because it didnt have squat for aftermarket parts or support) to give it a similar hp/l output you quoted, I could have bought a fleet of modded civics, sti's or other tuner cars. Keep the echo to drive for when your real monster is down for weeks getting the custom work

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.