Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to change O2 sensor in Toyota echo
This is my first attempt at posting a DIY. Hope it is helpful.
This DIY will provide step by step instructions to change the Oxygen Sensor located in Bank1 Sensor 2. This oxygen sensor is located behind the catalytic converter. The reason I had to change the oxygen sensor is because my check engine light was triggered. I used an OBDII scanner to scan for error codes. The code I had was PO141 which shows that the sensor is faulty. The shop manual I have for the echo states that the resistance of the Oxygen Sensor should be tested with an Ohmeter to confirm that the sensor is indeed bad. If out of tolerance the sensor can be replaced. I ordered my sensor directly from Toyota. It ran $167 after taxes. Note: There is a number stamped onto the oxygen sensor that you will need when ordering. Below are the steps I followed to test and remove the oxygen sensor.

* Before starting this project please make sure you have the following tools:
- Jack
- Jack Stands
- Flat Head Screw Driver
- 7/8” Open end wrench
- 10mm socket & wrench
- 14mm socket & wrench
- masking or electrical tape
- ohmmeter
- OBDII scan tool

-- hand tools utilized for repair. Also included in picture are the seat screws and screw covers..

1. Jack up car – this allows access to oxygen sensor
- Place jack under front jack point
- After jacking up the car, place jack stands under proper support areas
- Vehicle lift and support information can be found in shop manual on page IN-9

-- Here are the jack points from the Shop Manual
- Here are some pictures of the jack and stands under the car:

-- Jack under front jack point with block of wood to prevent marring and to give extra lift height.

-- Jack stand under front passenger side jack point.

2. Remove Front Passenger Seat – This allows carpet to be pulled back for removal of Oxygen Sensor
- Remove draw tray from below front passenger seat
- Unclip sensor below front passenger seat

-- seat belt sensor still attached

-- seat belt sensor detached

- Put tape over flat head screw driver blade and use to pry rear covers off of seat

-- screwdriver with tape on it

- Use screwdriver to carefully pry covers off rear seat screw covers

-- screw covers still attached to rear of seat track

-- screw covers removed from seat track

- Carefully remove seat from car,.

-- seat removed from car and placed in another room

--
-- view of echo interior with passenger seat removed.

3. Remove center console and test oxygen sensor
- remove screw from rear cup holder

--
-- screw in rear of center console

--
-- screw once removed from center console

- pull up on center console – this gives access to oxygen sensor connector

--
-- center consol slightly lifted with carpet pulled back slightly

--
-- center console pulled up with light shining on O2 sensor connector

--
-- close up view of O2 sensor connector – note how the o2 sensor’s wire goes below the carpet

- Unclip oxygen sensor from connection

--
-- close up view of O2 sensor connector on echo with O2 sensor disconnected

- test with ohmmeter to verify sensor is bad

--
-- schematic from shop manual (PG SF-60) detailing how to test oxygen sensor

--
-- view of oxygen sensor terminals *Note picture was taken after oxygen sensor was removed from exhaust.

4. Remove oxygen sensor – if test with ohm meter shows the sensor is faulty
- from passenger compartment push oxygen sensor lead wire down below carpet and out of access hole. There is a rubber grommet that is part of the oxygen sensor – push this out of the hole.

-- pushing oxygen sensor connector down through carpet towards grommet

-- close up view of hole in floor pan with oxygen sensor and grommet removed.

- under car remove O2 sensor from exhaust pipe using 7/8” wrench
- (I didn’t have a metric wrench that was big enough)

-- under car view after oxygen sensor was removed.

-- New oxygen sensor next to old oxygen sensor

5. Install new oxygen sensor
- from inside of car feed oxygen sensor down through carpet through hole in floor pan
* Do not press grommet through hole – connector needs to stay loose so that wire can rotate when screwing oxygen sensor into exhaust
- from underside of car screw oxygen sensor into exhaust being careful not to overly twist the connector wires.
- from inside of car press rubber grommet through hole so that it seals
- from underside of automobile pull on rubber grommet to make sure it is partially through and completely seals the hole.

-- under car view after oxygen sensor was removed.

6. Reinstall center console
- line up front two clips and press center console down

-- front clips that hold front of center console in place.

- tighten rear screw

24 by boxonwheels, on Flickr

7. Re-install front seat

8. Remove jack stands and lower and remove jack

9. USE OBDII tool to clear engine code

10. Drive car and verify that check engine light stays out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, that sensor is there to check the cat. So far I am still on my original cat and i have 226 thousand miles on my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the Help

Thanks for the time and effort it took to walk me through the steps of replacing the O2 sensor on my 2000 Echo. It was helpful seeing the photos in addition to the step by step instructions.

I was able to remove the center console without having to remove the passenger seat. Admittedly, it was a bit tight feeding the new sensor down through the hole because I wasn't able to pull the carpet back as far as I could have, but I was still able to do it.

I found a Bosch sensor on Amazon for less than $75 and it seems to be well-made and identical to the OEM part as far a I can tell. I figured it was worth a shot in saving some money because of the age of my car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I need to change out bank 1 sensor 1 - do you know where the plug lives? Thanks!
The pre cat o2 sensor plug is located toward the firewall along the exhaust manifold just past connection to exhaust. You can see it from above, if you look in the back, and down in engine compartment behind engine from the front of car, you will see the grey connector and wire going further down to ore-cat o2 sensor. If you are related to Mr. Stretch, you can reach it from above, but I ended up driving the car on ramps, and accessed the connector from underneath to disconnect it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you very much for the location of the plug for bank 1 sensor 1. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to get to the job soon!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just did this on my car. With the automatic you have to cut the carpet a bit near the shifter to get it to come down otherwise you'd have to take all the carpet out.

Thanks for this! I used the OE sensor from Denso and so far so good. Cleared the CEL and it hasn't come back yet.

Cost:
OE Denso Sensor: $52
Torque wrench: $12 from Harbor Freight
Oxygen sensor socket: borrowed from O'Reilly auto parts for free
Kroil: Borrowed from co-worker, bought him a $5 beer.

Not bad for something that would cost $200 at the mechanic!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are the downstream and the upstream O2 sensors for the Toyota Echo ULTIMATELY the exact same part with a different wire harness???????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts