Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,134 Posts
Check car-part.com, saw a decent selection of FJ wheels and prices aren't too bad. Should be a set at a yard not too far away from you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Interesting and thanks for the additional info as I’d rather avoid wheel spacers if possible. I’ve heard that some of the newer Toyota wheels can present fitment issues when swapping onto an older truck like the T100.
Was hoping to avoid that by sticking with wheels from earlier gen Tacoma or ideally an FJ Cruiser. Maybe best to pass on these rims and continue looking for the FJ rims which I believe should fit without spacers and present no issues.
You're probably going to have to drop down that tire size quite a bit if you want the speedometer to be even close to correct plus you would lose a lot of performance with that end gearing (along with mileage). Not too sure if they would even fit. When I bought my 16s, they were only $100 and luckily they didn't have tires at all to deal with but needed to be refinished desperately. If your factory size was 215/75/r15 then something around 750 revolutions per mile should work out. The size 225/60/17 should be spot on. If you want something with a little more tread width then 245/55/R17 will work and look pretty cool, but must warn you that the price jumps up quite a bit with that size.
Hey, sorry for the delay. I did not purchase the wheels, the the tires weren’t new (as advertised).
Still searching for options.

·
Registered
1995 T100 SR5 4WD
88 Posts
Hey, sorry for the delay. I did not purchase the wheels, the the tires weren’t new (as advertised).
We’re you able to confirm proper fitment (no spacers, etc) with the FJ wheels on a stock unlifted T100?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't think you would want to go with the tires that were on those rims anyway as you said you had a RWD truck earlier like me (much smaller overall diameter). Speedometer would be off plus performance/gas mileage would suck (without a gear reduction). Not entirely sure if they would even fit without a slight lift of some sort. This is exactly why I looked for rims without tires so I could get the right ones myself.
Edit: You could always buy a set of rims with tires, have them removed and just sell them. Bit of a PITA though in the scheme of things (selling things on something like Craigslist can be more trouble than it's worth from my experience). I know how hard it is finding rims without tires so maybe look for ones that are in dire need of replacement anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,134 Posts
I run BFG 31x10.5x15 on my 1995 2WD with no problem or lift.
The tires mentioned are only a half inch taller and tenth of an inch narrower.
My speedo is off by 5.6 mph at 70 mph.
I have a 5 sped manual and haven't missed anything power-wise but my mpg did drop slightly.
Next set will be the same size but less aggressive tread.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Don't think you would want to go with the tires that were on those rims anyway as you said you had a RWD truck earlier like me (much smaller overall diameter). Speedometer would be off plus performance/gas mileage would suck (without a gear reduction). Not entirely sure if they would even fit without a slight lift of some sort. This is exactly why I looked for rims without tires so I could get the right ones myself.
Edit: You could always buy a set of rims with tires, have them removed and just sell them. Bit of a PITA though in the scheme of things (selling things on something like Craigslist can be more trouble than it's worth from my experience). I know how hard it is finding rims without tires so maybe look for ones that are in dire need of replacement anyway.

Yeah, I am still searching Facebook and Craigslist for a 16" set--- I am sure there has to be some (almost new) sets of Tacoma wheels & tires....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have a 5 sped manual and haven't missed anything power-wise but my mpg did drop slightly.
That set up looks good! Do you know what the difference in diameter (taller) would be between the 31x10.5x15 vs 265/65 R17?

·
Registered
1995 T100 SR5 4WD
88 Posts
Presently running same size but mine are an older set (yikes-9 years old) of Kelly Safari ATR’s.
Aggressive tread and noisy as heck but they have been great tires.
They fit nicely on the factory rims but I’m also thinking time for a all around tire that’s a bit quieter.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,134 Posts
"That set up looks good! Do you know what the difference in diameter (taller) would be between the 31x10.5x15 vs 265/65 R17?"

The265/65/17 are 1/2" inch taller than the 31's.

·
Registered
1995 T100 SR5 4WD
88 Posts
"That set up looks good! Do you know what the difference in diameter (taller) would be between the 31x10.5x15 vs 265/65 R17?"

The265/65/17 are 1/2" inch taller than the 31's.
Thinking the potential fitment issues comes into play with the different offset on the newer wheels as 1/2” increase in height shouldn’t be a problem on these trucks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just doing some math on a random tire I picked out on tirerack it looks around a 15% difference between 31s and some 215/75/15s (that would equal to more like 10 MPH difference). Do you know if yours came with 215/75/r15s originally? Maybe toyota offered different size tires. Either way, it's not as much difference as I originally thought it would be. And that size in question is only like .2 inch diameter larger.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, I am still searching Facebook and Craigslist for a 16" set--- I am sure there has to be some (almost new) sets of Tacoma wheels & tires....
If you go with Tacoma wheels, just make sure that they're off a 4WD since their 2WD ones are only 5 lug.

·
Registered
1995 T100 SR5 4WD
88 Posts
...so pulled the trigger on these. Lets see how they will look.
Nice looking wheels. My 02 4TR Sport came with them from the factory.
They should fit no problem.

·
Registered
1995 T100 SR5 4WD
88 Posts
Running 265/70/16 Michelin Defender LTX on those wheels on my 4Runner presently and happy with the combo as an all around DD.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts