Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 200 of 2041 Posts

·
TN Member
5,461 Posts
^ yeah, but at least the emblem isn't floating in a big black void.
Yeah.

Well the blue pictures that follow are more flattering. They look much better than the ones pictured in White. It must be the angle. The black plastic bit doesn't stick out as much as I thought when I saw the white one.

Also, with that spyshot above, it looks like they will keep the 86 badge. Thank goodness! So will they still call it the FR-S or give it another name?

·
Tacoma Rocks
1,742 Posts
the subie version is too close to the toyota version. Makes you wonder what's the point?? Aren't they selling it in the u.s. As well? Or not? I know it will be overseas but this looks like blatant badging. Yes i know its the same car but i thought there would be more differences. Oh well.

i agree, its too bad its not under the toyota badge name which actually has heritage and what this car is about. Scion is a has-been. One car can't pull the brand out, at least in this case imo. We'll see. I want the car to do well...

+100

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
The Subie version is too close to the Toyota version. Makes you wonder what's the point?? Aren't they selling it in the U.S. as well? Or not? I know it will be overseas but this looks like blatant badging. Yes I know its the same car but I thought there would be more differences. Oh well.

I agree, its too bad its not under the Toyota badge name which actually has heritage and what this car is about. Scion is a has-been. One car can't pull the brand out, at least in this case IMO. We'll see. I want the car to do well...
I call it the Caravan/Voyager syndrome.

·
TN の がしょう
7,391 Posts
Yeah.

Well the blue pictures that follow are more flattering. They look much better than the ones pictured in White. It must be the angle. The black plastic bit doesn't stick out as much as I thought when I saw the white one.

Also, with that spyshot above, it looks like they will keep the 86 badge. Thank goodness! So will they still call it the FR-S or give it another name?
Well, with the thing that manufacturers test new cars in camo tends to take out some visible attributes from the production model, so that badge may never make it if Scion keeps the FR-S badge, but it would be nice if they keep it. Now if they'll only get rid of that stupid ugly "Scion" engraving on the back, all will be well.

This badge-playing reminds me more of the old Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler's Stratus/Breeze/Cirrus era.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I wonder how many will stay as Scion, however. It annoys me that Toyota took great pains to keep the AE86 heritage with the cool 86 badges and even calling it the 86 (or GT 86 in Europe) and all North America does is say "thank you. We'll just throw all of that out and call it a string of 3 letters that bare no historical reference to any Toyota sports car cause no one here knows Japanese or what hachi-roku means".

"I own a Scion FR-S".
"I own a GT 86"

The second sounds better.

First thing that came to mind when I saw that front end is - Peugeot

I agree, to talk about the heritage that this car gets its inspiration from and then...giving it a badge that had nothing to do with it. Almost like GM talking about how sensible a minivan is for a family...then giving it to Pontiac which was intended to be a brand for youths who probably haven't thought of starting up a family...oh wait.

I won't be a downer about it because it has a Scion badge, but it would be nice if de-badging it would be easier. This might be the first car most of us would even consider making closer to the JDM model just because it was supposed to be a Toyota in the first place. Also I'd rather not explain what Scion is any time I have to mention my own car and thus become Mr. Boring man, saying I drive a Toyota or Subaru requires no explanation. Plus its nice to stay a Toyota man...even though I drive a Subaru.

Also agree about the look of the BRZ. I don't like the Peugeot style mouth guard. Toyota version for me it seems because it has no mouth guard.

·
Vivir el momento
18,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
The Subie version is too close to the Toyota version. Makes you wonder what's the point?? Aren't they selling it in the U.S. as well? Or not? I know it will be overseas but this looks like blatant badging. Yes I know its the same car but I thought there would be more differences. Oh well.

I agree, its too bad its not under the Toyota badge name which actually has heritage and what this car is about. Scion is a has-been. One car can't pull the brand out, at least in this case IMO. We'll see. I want the car to do well...
Without Subaru's help with almost all of the engineering work the 86 would have been nothing but a pipe dream for Toyota. Toyota was responsible for the car's styling and project management. Everything was from the following article.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-subaru-brz-sports-car-prototype-drive

Sharing styling is just a matter saving costs. It makes financial sense when you consider the fact that Subaru spent the majority of their time and money developing prototypes and testing them. Just be glad that the car is reaching production and Toyota has a cool car again that actually appeals to the layman enthusiast.

·
There is no substitute.
7,358 Posts
Without Subaru's help with almost all of the engineering work the 86 would have been nothing but a pipe dream for Toyota. Toyota was responsible for the car's styling and project management. Everything was from the following article.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-subaru-brz-sports-car-prototype-drive

Sharing styling is just a matter saving costs. It makes financial sense when you consider the fact that Subaru spent the majority of their time and money developing prototypes and testing them. Just be glad that the car is reaching production and Toyota has a cool car again that actually appeals to the layman enthusiast.
Ouch!!!! How dare Toyota call it their own if it's not even engineered by them??

·
TN Member
5,461 Posts
Well, with the thing that manufacturers test new cars in camo tends to take out some visible attributes from the production model, so that badge may never make it if Scion keeps the FR-S badge, but it would be nice if they keep it. Now if they'll only get rid of that stupid ugly "Scion" engraving on the back, all will be well.

This badge-playing reminds me more of the old Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler's Stratus/Breeze/Cirrus era.
True. That spyshot above could just be a display car and they just left the badges on. I do hope it stays.

Ahh yes, that giant SCION engraving. They have that on the iQ's front door panels (inside one) so it's not out of the question but the difference is that it's only noticeable if you have the door open. If they do that on the back of the FR-S, that's pretty cheezy imo.

I agree, to talk about the heritage that this car gets its inspiration from and then...giving it a badge that had nothing to do with it. Almost like GM talking about how sensible a minivan is for a family...then giving it to Pontiac which was intended to be a brand for youths who probably haven't thought of starting up a family...oh wait.

I won't be a downer about it because it has a Scion badge, but it would be nice if de-badging it would be easier. This might be the first car most of us would even consider making closer to the JDM model just because it was supposed to be a Toyota in the first place. Also I'd rather not explain what Scion is any time I have to mention my own car and thus become Mr. Boring man, saying I drive a Toyota or Subaru requires no explanation. Plus its nice to stay a Toyota man...even though I drive a Subaru.

Also agree about the look of the BRZ. I don't like the Peugeot style mouth guard. Toyota version for me it seems because it has no mouth guard.
lol. What flavour do you want your car in? Cheap, somewhat sporty or somewhat luxo? :lol:

I like the Scion logo. It has some design to it but for my generation, we remember the Toyota sports cars. The new generation will just be remembering these as "Scions" so hopefully Toyota keeps Scion around for a long time.

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
1,615 Posts
Toyota 86 World Premiere Makes Toyota "Fun to Drive, Again": 2011 Tokyo Motor Show

Three years of rumors, concepts and leaks have come to this: the debut of the Toyota 86 sports car at the Tokyo Motor Show. Introduced by company CEO Akio Toyoda, a man dedicated to rebuilding Toyota's enthusiast base, he launched an all new slogan, boldly proclaiming that the giant Japanese automakers is, "Fun to Drive, Again".

As you no doubt have already hear the car is powered by a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder direct-injection boxer engine with a 12.5:1 compression ratio making 200-hp and 151 lb-ft of torque. It's not a lot of punch, but with a curb weight right around 2,700 lbs, it should deliver plenty of fun.

See video of the car from it's world premiere in Tokyo below:

More: Toyota 86 World Premiere Makes Toyota "Fun to Drive, Again": 2011 Tokyo Motor Show on Autoguide.com

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
1,615 Posts
Toyota 86 Video First Look: 2011 Tokyo Motor Show

Years of anticipation have all lead to the debut of Toyota's new compact sports car at the Tokyo Motor Show today. Referred to by many different concept names, at its word premiere company CEO Akio Toyoda called it, simply, the 86.

Powered by a direct-injection 1.6-liter 4-cylinder boxer engine it makes around 200-hp and when combined with a curb weight of just 2,700 lbs should deliver solid acceleration and a dynamic driving experience.

For more on the Toyota 86, watch the video below:

More: Toyota 86 Video First Look: 2011 Tokyo Motor Show on Autoguide.com

·
TN の がしょう
7,391 Posts
Man, Subaru is quick replacing their GT300 WRXs.

·
Save The Manuals
1,837 Posts
Scion FR-S spotted in California. Looks like we got ripped off; Basic halogen lights as DRL instead of LED, smaller exhaust tips, and no fog lights.. :(

·
Vivir el momento
18,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
The official reveal in Los Angeles tonight is still a few hours away, we'll find out then.

All those "missing" items just might be available as optional extras.

181 - 200 of 2041 Posts