Toyota Nation Forum banner

221 - 240 of 2041 Posts

·
FSAE "Engine guy"
71 Posts
Ewwwww.......ours looks as cheap as a tC on the inside. Couldn't they have spruced it up a little? Pardon me for being so picky but this car should look like it costs 5000 or so bucks more than the tC if that's what they want for it.
I don't really care(as long as the price reflects it). It's seems to be a fantastic chassis with a sweet engine turning the right wheels, everything else is petty. The one thing I'm concerned about is headroom; If i can't fit it's useless to me.

·
Save The Manuals
1,837 Posts
I'm very disappointed. The interior looks depressing compared to the other two, lack of HIDs and LED DRLs, puny exhaust tips, but those will be easily switched out, and a lack of foglights.

What did we North Americans do to deserve this?? :cursin:

What I'm thankful for is that they didn't put the stupid Scion engraving on the back, and the badges look like they can be easily swapped. If this car is more than $23k, I would probably get the Subaru.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
I conducted a little survey and almost 90% people on neutral forums especially after the unveiling of the Scion FR-S horrid interior (to keep it monospec and under the Scion pricing limit) would be willing to pay a premium to buy the upscale Subaru version. Almost no one I could find was willing to save a few buck and pick the Scion over the more expensive Subaru BRZ.

Pretty much what I had predicted before that Toyota handed the Canada/US market to Subaru in a silver platter.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The Scion's interior is disappointing, I can live without some of the stuff but those climate control knobs look rubbish. I guess the good news...if the Scion lacks something and you still decide to buy it, perhaps the Subaru interior will cover what's missing...hopefully.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
The Scion's interior is disappointing, I can live without some of the stuff but those climate control knobs look rubbish. I guess the good news...if the Scion lacks something and you still decide to buy it, perhaps the Subaru interior will cover what's missing...hopefully.
Yes, everything screams "cheap-ified". Notice no push-button start either in the Scion, which the BRZ and GT-86 come standard with.

·
Taco Tuesday!
1,604 Posts
nothing a bunch of parts swapping from the jdm 86 and brz can't fix.

and you thought jay-deeh-em was dying. LOL. here comes the next round of "individuality" with the numerous "jdm climate control panel", "brz fogs", "euro gt-86 fender badge", "jdm vsc silver buttons", "'super-rare' jdm/86 steering wheel", "jdm/86 exhaust tips" etc... it truly is the marriage of the corolla ae86 (with all its "jdm" possibilities) and scion (think xb/bb).

you know it's coming.

not that i'm bashing the idea. heck, i'd probably switch out the climate control unit to the 86 spec if it was compatible. talk about stripped-down with the fr-s. lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
only have a few words to say.... interior looks cheap as crap compared to Subaru and Toyota version, ditto with the headlights and LEDs... fail

·
TN の がしょう
7,390 Posts
All those plastic bits screams, "SCION!" And the climate control knob aesthetics and all....typical Scion to screw that one over too. Should of kept the Toyota aesthetics as it actually looks better. Glad Scion decided to get rid of that stupid "scion" engraving they had on their concept. The FR-S emblem is too big IMO, and the headlight screams "cut-downs." I have a feeling a lot of people will either swap out the BRZ's version or the Toyota's JDM version. I prefer the BRZs lights though.

What I can't wait for is the huge aftermarket backing from Japan. I know for sure, all the top shops will not be able to calm down getting their hands on one to create some awesome, performance parts on hand and since it's a boxer engine from Subaru, it'll sound pretty throaty.

·
Taco Tuesday!
1,604 Posts
All those plastic bits screams, "SCION!" And the climate control knob aesthetics and all....typical Scion to screw that one over too. Should of kept the Toyota aesthetics as it actually looks better. Glad Scion decided to get rid of that stupid "scion" engraving they had on their concept. The FR-S emblem is too big IMO, and the headlight screams "cut-downs." I have a feeling a lot of people will either swap out the BRZ's version or the Toyota's JDM version. I prefer the BRZs lights though.

What I can't wait for is the huge aftermarket backing from Japan. I know for sure, all the top shops will not be able to calm down getting their hands on one to create some awesome, performance parts on hand and since it's a boxer engine from Subaru, it'll sound pretty throaty.
alas. let's not forget about that trademark boxer exhaust note. i hope it's not totally tuned out in the hands of toyota.

·
TN の がしょう
7,390 Posts
Damn, GReddy already got their grubby hands on it. I always like their new exhaust Ti lineup. Come to think of it, GReddy and Toyota are closely partnered in providing performance parts for Toyota. One such major project between them was the IS300 L-Tuned version. Most of parts are from GReddy and the wheels are made by RAYS I believe.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Yes, everything screams "cheap-ified". Notice no push-button start either in the Scion, which the BRZ and GT-86 come standard with.
I could live without push button start, I drive a lot of Altimas and occasionally a Focus Titanium, neat but not a must have. That said I would think they'd save more money by giving all the cars the feature. Its really the HVAC I'm most upset about. I do miss the auto climate control of my Cressida, something my Impreza doesn't have, because its much easier to set it in auto then focus on driving without playing with the controls when its too cold/hot. The fog lights I assume are an optional extra which means $500, same story with the heated seats another $500 since the tC only offers these as optional extras.

I'll shut up if the Scion does end up being 22K CAD in that spec(tC is 20K). Since that means they're not afraid of sacrificing the tC. There is one good thing I saw about the Scion display car, the seats don't have to be red meaning I don't have to have the "man's wash bag" look.

The only thing I don't like about the BRZ is the front...fortunately the front clip was designed to be easily removed meaning I could possibly swap it with a Scion or Toyota one if any wanted the BRZ's front.

·
Save The Manuals
1,837 Posts

I would definitely swap headlights with the 86 as one of the first mods. Unfortunately with the BRZ headlights, they are a slightly different shape than 86/FR-S headlights, so a front bumper replacement would be necessary.

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
1,615 Posts
Toyota Shows Off 86, Makes Us Want One Even More [VIDEO]

All week long we've been salivating at Toyota's 86 and Subaru's BRZ, and now we finally got to set our eyes on America's variant, Scion's FR-S. And while we haven't had the chance just yet to get behind the wheel of the new sports car, Toyota has allowed our eyes to feast on a video spotlighting their new sports car.

Admittedly the entire video looks like something out of Gran Turismo 5 or Forza Motorsport 4, but it's eye candy at its best and is a great way to build up even more hype for the vehicle. Also those that are interested, there's a ringtone of the Toyota 86′s engine being given away just click here.

Check out the awesome video after the break.

More: Toyota Shows Off 86, Makes Us Want One Even More [VIDEO] on Autoguide.com

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
1,615 Posts
2013 Scion FR-S Live Reveal [VIDEO]

AutoGuide was on hand last night for the live reveal of the 2013 Scion FR-S in Los Angeles, where Scion showed off their version of the Toyobaru rear-drive, boxer-powered sports car.

The FR-S is mechanically identical to the Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86, save for a few minor aesthetic changes. Scion was mum about pricing unfortunately, and that seems to be the last question hanging over everyone's head.

Check out the video below for the live reveal.

More: 2013 Scion FR-S Live Reveal [VIDEO] on Autoguide.com

·
Newbie One Kanobi
8,672 Posts
We'll see whether any company benefits from this. To the dealers its likely business as usual, it just might be a bit more difficult for the salesman to come up with a reason why one is better than the other. Come to think of it, making this car a Toyota would have given the Toyota version a big helping hand due to how much larger the Toyota dealer network is. If I recall not all Toyota dealers are given Scions to sell...at least that's not the case in Canada.
^^Yeah for sure. I was guessing they go the route of Pontiac (GM) and Toyota with the Matrix. Both the same car but each company markets and designs the outside to their own design language. At least in this case the car does look good.

I agree, I think Toyota name has more pull, as Scion has no heritage etc. Plus the Toyota version does look good. So its not only the badge, but also the dealer network, mostly in Canada which from what I hear isn't receiving Scion too well but then again their market is only a fraction of the U.S. market.
What will be telling is the price. That will make or brake the car I think, at least in the Toyota version.

The "heritage" from the AE86 is automatically chucked out the window thanks to the Scion badges, no matter how hard Toyota wants you to believe the contrary.

DEATH TO SCION!
I agree, it should be the Toyota badge cause that's where the heritage is. Outside the NA I agree this car carries the torch (at least in principle) but slapping a flash in a pan brand name. I think its insulting associating cars with heritage (AE, Supra, Celica etc.) with a badge Scion. Oh well. Its still a cool car but too bad it got watered down but I think we all expected it for the NA versions.

Forgot to mention, all the Scion badges look like they can easily be replaced.
I was going to say that, so there's some good news. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I agree, I think Toyota name has more pull, as Scion has no heritage etc. Plus the Toyota version does look good. So its not only the badge, but also the dealer network, mostly in Canada which from what I hear isn't receiving Scion too well but then again their market is only a fraction of the U.S. market.
What will be telling is the price. That will make or brake the car I think, at least in the Toyota version.
The Greater Toronto Area sells quite a lot of Toyota vehicles, there's at least over 20 dealers while there's about 8 that also sell Scions more than Lexus dealers which are at 6. Despite its decent dealer presence here the xD has bombed big time, the xB is a very slow seller and the tC sold a few when it first launched but I think it too has fizzled. The iQ has been released...but I've yet to encounter one. Not very good news, as a matter of fact I think Suzuki actually does better...their cars don't even carry a badge that's associated with good cars, and their dealer network is the smallest.

221 - 240 of 2041 Posts