Toyota Nation Forum banner

241 - 260 of 2041 Posts

·
straight cash homie
19,033 Posts
The Greater Toronto Area sells quite a lot of Toyota vehicles, there's at least over 20 dealers while there's about 8 that also sell Scions more than Lexus dealers which are at 6. Despite its decent dealer presence here the xD has bombed big time, the xB is a very slow seller and the tC sold a few when it first launched but I think it too has fizzled. The iQ has been released...but I've yet to encounter one. Not very good news, as a matter of fact I think Suzuki actually does better...their cars don't even carry a badge that's associated with good cars, and their dealer network is the smallest.
For the record, the iQ was officially released today in the Western Region of the US (AKA California), so it isn't a surprise that you haven't seen any around that wasn't at an Auto Show or on the street that was a company vehicle.

GTA has a huge "immigration" population and I'm surprised that Scion didn't sell better. Again, Asians love to buy Toyotas and with the brand association, you'd think that would be an easy sale. But then again, Scion hasn't been doing great numbers either in the US too, though in my area, quite a few Asian kids (my cousins included) drive Scions, so that must account for the few hundred sold per month in the whole nation.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
18593 is Subaru's manufacturer plate # in California, so who knows whether that black mule is a BRZ or a FR-S, as that car has stuff from both models.
if you looked at the fender, you can see the little boxer badge, just the imprint. the subaru one didn't have that did it?

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
alas. let's not forget about that trademark boxer exhaust note. i hope it's not totally tuned out in the hands of toyota.
it's tuned out, because of equal length headers (basically sounding like 4 cylinders not 3)

which is why WRX's and STI's sound like that, they have UEL headers. toss a EL header and it'll sound COMPLETELY different.

·
straight cash homie
19,033 Posts
if you looked at the fender, you can see the little boxer badge, just the imprint. the subaru one didn't have that did it?
Now after seeing the FR-S pics, that black one was definitely a Scion and not a BRZ, so yeah, it has the boxer badge. But I'm wondering why a Subaru employee as to why he was driving a Scion :confused:

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
I don't mind the auto climate or not, but wow, way to skimp out on A LOT, Toyota. Really?

I like my '94 Hillux's manual controls more than newer vehicles to be honest.
Recirculate - - - - Both - - - - Vent / Face...Face and Legs.... Legs... Windshield and legs... windshield
A/C / Off - low*******highest / Cold**********Hot

I like how I can use 75% heat, half recirc and half vent, while sending it to my face AND legs at the same time.

some vehicles go their own way and choose it for you, that ticks me off. Plus I can do it all with A/C off. lovely and simple.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts

·
straight cash homie
19,033 Posts
maybe a typical Subaru employee knows more than a typical Scion person? :lol:
Maybe, because a Toyota person will go WTF when they see a Boxer engine.

And speaking of which, here's some good technical knowledge from MotoIQ:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/2279/86-under-the-skin-technical-details-on-the-toyotasubaruscion-86gt-86fr-sbrz.aspx

5x100 bolt pattern? Even the new tC has the proper 5x114.3 pattern. :lol: This will mean better wheels for us Corolla guys because manufacturers have to make more 5x100 wheels if they want to sell to the Toyobaru crowd.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
^ They already have to appeal to the mass WRX and Legacy crowd that runs the 5x100 bolt pattern, and some of the euro guys too.

You would think Toyota have had ditched the 5x100 by now.

Haha yes, a Toyota person would go WTF when they see a boxer engine.

I think the Toyobaru Subieyota is a great appeal to the world, people will actually learn about cars...

"Yes, your engine is flat"
"oh, it's not a v4?"
"..."

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,426 Posts
"Yes, your engine is flat"
"oh, it's not a v4?"
"..."

I don't even think they will know what a flat engine is. When you say flat, they'll probably say, "It doesn't look flat, it has sides and dimensions." :lol:

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Now after seeing the FR-S pics, that black one was definitely a Scion and not a BRZ, so yeah, it has the boxer badge. But I'm wondering why a Subaru employee as to why he was driving a Scion :confused:
Probably because Subaru was responsible for a large portion of the engineering, prototyping, and track testing work that went into the joint venture. All versions of the car and it's engine is going to be built at Fuji Heavy Industries plant in Gunma, Japan. It would make sense for a Subaru engineer to be at the wheel instead of lesser knowledgeable person from Toyota, or even worse, Scion.

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
1,615 Posts
Toyota GT 86 With TRD Supercharger Already In The Works

Toyota's GT 86 hasn't even made its way into the hands of consumers, but a high-performance variant of the new sports coupe is already in the works out in Japan.

It doesn't appear that Toyota's willing to just sit around and play second fiddle to Subaru's BRZ with Chief Engineer Tetsuo Tada telling the media that supercharged test cars have already been made and are currently being scrutinized by Toyota Racing Development (TRD).

In the past, TRD has been known to develop superchargers for various Toyota models, including Scion's tC coupe. With the FR-S inevitably taking over as Scion's top-of-the-line sports coupe, seeing a TRD variant equipped with a supercharger would be no surprise. Toyota prefers the supercharger approach since it's simpler than increasing the engine size, and altering throttle response with a turbocharger would compromise the car's performance objections.

What will be really exciting is if TRD takes on the GT 86 from bumper to bumper, offering styling accessories and even suspension components to go along with a supercharger option. Hopefully all of this goodness will make its way to America and onto our FR-S.

More: Toyota GT 86 With TRD Supercharger Already In The Works on Autoguide.com

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,738 Posts
The Greater Toronto Area sells quite a lot of Toyota vehicles, there's at least over 20 dealers while there's about 8 that also sell Scions more than Lexus dealers which are at 6. Despite its decent dealer presence here the xD has bombed big time, the xB is a very slow seller and the tC sold a few when it first launched but I think it too has fizzled. The iQ has been released...but I've yet to encounter one. Not very good news, as a matter of fact I think Suzuki actually does better...their cars don't even carry a badge that's associated with good cars, and their dealer network is the smallest.
yeah, Scion is tanking here so obviously they hope with the FR-S and the iQ they hope to get more foot traffic. They will, but those cars can't hold the brand for long cause they aren't meant to. The xD has been worse than the xA as far as sales and the current xB while not a bad car just lost its mojo and appeal of the first gen. They need to badly get out new "core" cars out. I'd say skip the regular hatch and stick with a funky boxy car but obviously not as bloated and bland as the current xB. So they have to reimagine the brand.

As mentioned, the iQ will have a calculated launch, so it won't be till next year you'll see it in the rest of the country, at least in the U.S. I don't know about Canada's time schedule. Funny how they are doing this when the iQ has been delayed more than once (for NA launch).

Here's an article about a high performance version of the GT86 in the works. It says they are favoring supercharging instead of turbocharging because it's simpler and doesn't wreck trottle response. http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/260343/
Sweet! Maybe Scion will get more serious and offer that as an option.

No silver?
You don't want silver, especially for a car like this. Such a boring color. Might work in some cases but IMO, so forgettable. Easy to clean though (and yes my first car was silver). :thumbsup:

241 - 260 of 2041 Posts