Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Highlander in for tire repair, and the battery required a jump to get it there because the car had been sitting for 3weeks.

Now the dealer tells me it needs a replacement battery (still under warranty) but they can’t get any, and Toyota has no delivery estimate from the supplier. (Yet new cars can have batteries). They have 5-6 cars sitting around waiting for batteries some greater than 5 weeks. Furthermore I’m told I can’t keep my car at home until the battery comes in because it needs to be on the lot for them to order it.

The kicker is they tell me because the car has auto/start I can’t use a replacement aftermarket battery (at my cost) as they can’t guarantee everything will function correctly. They have had my car for 8 days with still no battery delivery date.

This all sounds like ‘fishy’ to me, especially the part about no aftermarket batteries.

Any truth to this?

·
Registered
571 Posts
To keep yr car is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard.. There ARE replacement batteries, people get them all the time. What do they expect you to do? Id insist on a reimbursement for a replacement. Which is cheaper than theirs is anyway.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,326 Posts
Auto start/stop use slightly special batteries and these cannot be ordered online. The dealership is most likely gonna have better luck procuring it. How long it will take is a different matter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If your state has a Lemon Law like in Texas you may have some leverage. Here if we “have purchased or leased a new motor vehicle and it develops a defect or condition that substantially impairs the motor vehicle’s use, market value or safety, you may be eligible for relief under the Texas Lemon Law. You are required to allow the manufacturer a reasonable opportunity to repair the defect(s) before you may file a complaint for lemon law relief. There is a $35 filing fee required with the submission of the Lemon Law complaint form. The number of reasonable attempts to repair the defect(s) may vary based upon the defect’s effect on the normal operation of the motor vehicle.” It all depends on the number of days out of service within the first 2 years or 24K miles, and keeping your car on the lot so they can order a new battery is definitely out of service and impairing its use!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dealer, must keep your vehicle, until battery arrives. Never heard of this! And you can't purchase/use after market battery. And get reimbursed?

Only logical thing I can think of, It will cost Dealer more to reimburse you for after market battery, than "their" cost for a new battery. (I assume Toyota, gets a volume discount).

Try calling another Dealer. Let us know the outcome. Weird story. Hard to believe.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Dealer, must keep your vehicle, until battery arrives. Never heard of this! And you can't purchase/use after market battery. And get reimbursed?

Only logical thing I can think of, It will cost Dealer more to reimburse you for after market battery, than "their" cost for a new battery. (I assume Toyota, gets a volume discount).

Try calling another Dealer. Let us know the outcome. Weird story. Hard to believe.
Weird story, sorta normal situatin. The Auto Start/Stop uses a "different" battery. If you look up this battery on almost any Toyota Parts Website it will show as discontinued. The dealership will have better chances at procuring that specific battery.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
This has been discussed in previous threads. For some vehicles with stop/start, Toyota now uses an Enhanced Flooded Battery (EFB). They are relatively new, and there are not many after-market ones out there yet, and apparently Toyota Motor does not have any in stock from their parts inventory.

Here is an explanation of the new EFB battery:

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,208 Posts
FWIW...Yeah, backlog for sure. Is this really the only batt authorized for yoda vehicles with start/stop (no true starts) GS YUASA 28800-31550 - EFB type. In real emergency, gotta be some batt that'll work. Bummer for sure. :unsure:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Are the people that their vehicles are being held hostage being given a vehicle to drive untill batteries become available? They need to be compensated in some form for loss of use.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
A good dealer would take batteries out of the new models on the lot and put it in yours. Sounds like a simple solution to keep a customer happy
Sell a vehicle vs keeping a customer happy

You better be friends with the owner...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Are the people that their vehicles are being held hostage being given a vehicle to drive untill batteries become available? They need to be compensated in some form for loss of use.
I believe that Toyota policy is that for a warranty repair that cannot be fixed in one day, a loaner is provided by Toyota (they reimburse the dealer).

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
A good dealer would take batteries out of the new models on the lot and put it in yours. Sounds like a simple solution to keep a customer happy
Let me know where that dealer is. I know of no dealer that would forgo $40,000 for the inconvenience of a customer. Not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I don't think the OP has a brand new HL from that particular dealer, so, any good dealer would follow the procedure to order and get a hold of a replacement battery as soon as they can. Pulling a part out of a brand new untitled vehicle from their lot for an earlier model vehicle, you will have to be the owner of that dealership to issue that directive.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Just remember, it can be worse...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
It is Toyota Motor Company's responsibility to supply spare parts to dealers for warranty repairs. Since Toyota is supplying loaner cars, many customers would be OK with that, but I guess it depends on what loaner they get.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts