Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I checked that link and don't see anything that supports that claim, and I doubt it is true.

What the link says is that if the repair is offered for free by the manufacturer (under warranty, etc), that the manufacturer can (optionally) require that you use their repair facility to maintain the warranty.
The link also said...

The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my Highlander in for tire repair, and the battery required a jump to get it there because the car had been sitting for 3weeks.

Now the dealer tells me it needs a replacement battery (still under warranty) but they can’t get any, and Toyota has no delivery estimate from the supplier. (Yet new cars can have batteries). They have 5-6 cars sitting around waiting for batteries some greater than 5 weeks. Furthermore I’m told I can’t keep my car at home until the battery comes in because it needs to be on the lot for them to order it.

The kicker is they tell me because the car has auto/start I can’t use a replacement aftermarket battery (at my cost) as they can’t guarantee everything will function correctly. They have had my car for 8 days with still no battery delivery date.

This all sounds like ‘fishy’ to me, especially the part about no aftermarket batteries.

Any truth to this?
I just had this conversation with my wife who brought the 2017 Highlander to the dealer for a tire rotation. I asked her to have them test the battery because it was noticeably weak during a few recent starts. It's basically the same story as yours. I'm not paying almost $400 for a battery. I can get a $100 Wal-Mart battery that has a 3 year free replacement warranty. At a quarter of the cost, I'll take my chances. The funny part was that the dealer was bragging that the battery had a 5 year warranty. I told her then have them warranty the one in the car. They said "It doesn't work that way", which makes me feel even better about the Wal-Mart battery. I'm going to replace it tonight. I will post again in a few months to let everyone know how it's doing.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
It wasn't overnight that the Japanese started selling more vehicles in the US after the embargo. Takes a few years for that to happen.

In 1977 - I had no problem getting parts (spark-plugs, oil filters, air filters) for my Dad's 1972 Toyota Corona or earlier 1969 VW Bug. Maybe it was just where you lived.
I had no problem getting VW parts either for my 1960 bug. But couldn't get oil filters at Kmart (Walmart was no so big then) most of the time for a Toyota or Madza (piston engine).

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
602 Posts
I KNEW there was a reason I didn't want a new car last time I changed vehicles.

If I were in the Original Poster's position, I might have a look at the Lemon Law solution.
Problem is that unless the car is virtually new, you're not going to get a new car from Toyota;
instead you're going to get the retail value of the used car, just as if insurance company
paid off if the car was totaled. Oh, and if you're upside down on the loan.. tough luck.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
But couldn't get oil filters at Kmart (Walmart was no so big then) most of the time for a Toyota or Madza (piston engine).
Just because KMart didn't carry filters or wiper blades, doesn't mean there weren't aftermarket parts. My local auto parts store had Purolator and Fram filters for my Dad's 72 Corona.

I never hard of Wallmart until the 80's.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts