Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This review caught my attention. Maybe because I fall in the same demographic (boomer?) as the reviewer, it exactly mirrors my own feelings when I considered and ultimately purchased this vehicle. Other competitors may have slicker styling, sporty performance, state-of-the-art tech and more features but this reviewer in my opinion, encapsulates "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" philosophy which outweighed all that. Here are some snippets:

"don't want to think about it too much"​
"Toyota has done the brain work for you; all you have to do is show up and drive off"​
"people don't want to overthink their vehicle"​
"building vehicles that work for everybody and make trouble for nobody "​
"Toyota has traditionally not thrilled its partisans so much as reassured them"​
"The styling is consistent with what Toyota has been doing across its portfolio: enhancing the angles, sharpening the corners, and accentuating the folds in the sheet metal, without going too crazy"​
"Toyotas have given me the tendency to find them unexciting, but of late, there's been more jazz in the aesthetics"​
"I'm more than accustomed to the company's defiantly-not-industry-leading infotainment system"​
"I ended up exactly where I thought I'd be: satisfied and, you guessed it, reassured"​

I've had enough drama and excitement in my life after decades of owning Honda vehicles. At this stage in life, I'm boring and proudly so.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited
75 Posts
Toyota has been known for "boring" for many years. Yet, they still the best selling brand. That's because most people would prefer a practical, reliable, and affordable car.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's funny. I just read this article last night. I think the Highlander Platinum trim has a ton of tech. Want to know why? Because I run my autos into the ground. My Acura MDX has 160K miles bought in 2009. When I bought my MDX there was no way to play podcasts or music from my phone and there was no touch screen map. There was no high tech safety such as auto braking or blind spot monitoring. I do see the future after watching some POV videos on youtube of high end cars that cost 100K...wow...the speedometer is all digital...the whole front dash is digital, etc.

So when I look at the amazing Highlander historical reliability reports in Consumer Reports and also the Highlander "dated" tech I don't see dated. I see an auto that is ahead of my 2009 tech by 11 years :) I am super excited to buy a Highlander.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's boring but it's fine. I got Highlander as a bit less boring alternative to a minivan for a family hauling which I hope will be as reliable as Durango it replaced. For fun driving I bought Escape. That thing is just fast and ton of fun on the cheap and still practical for a family around town.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The older one gets (assuming you are middle class or below) the more one appreciates reliability and low operating cost over flashy. Just saying lol.

Reactions: irishbrahmin

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
487 Posts
I agree lol. I can’t stand all the stuff they load them down with now. Me personally being a mechanic and stuff I enjoy working on cars so I wouldn’t mind having to work on it some to keep it going. Just think in 10 or 15 years when all of that stuff starts to fail it may not be worth fixing it. I’m totally old school and that’s what the salesman at my dealership tell me because I open the hood and check everything and all of that regardless of age.

·
Registered
2015 Camry SE
165 Posts
I really don't get this whole "boring" label that gets thrown onto Toyota's by car reviewers trying to be edgy. I drive tons of cars yearly, rentals etc, from all manufacturers. The Highlander is a large sized CUV that essentially fills the part of the market that used to be station wagons or minivans. NONE OF THEM ARE EXCITING. They are all good at what they are designed to do, but what they are designed to do is be people movers.

Car "journalists" want everything to have sports car suspension so they can take turns at top speed but ignore the fact that what they value is usually the opposite of what actual customers who buy the car and keep it for 5-10 years want.

·
Registered
230 Posts
When someone talks about "boring" generally it implies acceleration and/or handling. Both of which are not thrilling in Highlander and it's certainly isn't designed for that purpose. If you want fun in midsize SUV market thats Ford Explorer ST or Dodge Durango RT or especially SRT.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
387 Posts
Wow, here I go....

First, we must admit, to some degree or another, that we are fan boys. Just like AA we would not be here if we thought everything was wonderful. Flame suit on! Hee hee.

After a half century of Eurotrash repair, I am HAPPY to have a car that I do not need to worry about (too much.) Get in and go. We made the conscious decision to go Toyota. Got a Lexus UX200 (That CHR is just too butt ugly. That rear end is so horrible.) I waited (yes for about a year+) for the Gen 4. I am OK happy. Is that boring?

Toyotas are evolutionary and not revolutionary. That translates to they tend not to fix / change what is not broken. (Euro cars used to do that a lot but not no more.) I am glad to get the proven engine and we will see how the transmission does in this iteration. Does evolutionary translate to boring?

I am beginning to see the faults others mention. And they are sort of minor, in general. Face it, we have no major stuff to complain about, yet, so let's pick nits. Nothing to complain about is NOT boring in my book!

I am no golden ear, so the "stereo" is just fine. But, some will claim it is no good. The UI could be better, but it is functional. The no wireless CarPlay REALLY is the only thing I actually find fault with. But the other day, I realized what I think I actually should have is phone mirroring. Screw the CarPlay. Wireless mirroring would do me better. Whatever. Am I a heretic?

As I have repeated a lot, you do not drive the outside. So styling, geez, is a who cares. It seems all SUVs, of the same size, sort of look the same. The outside does near zero for the driving experience. I am boring in this styling regard.

Well, I guess, if someone says a car is boring, well, they should find something else to fixate on. A car is something to haul you (friends and family) around with your stuff to go do stuff. As such it is a tool. Tools tend to be boring (unless you have a tool fetish....) But if the Highlander is your only vehicle, then fixate on it to your hearts content. I have plenty of other cars that I dote on. I need the boring Highlander primed and ready to run when I need her. Having a reliable car is boring????

In other words, I made my boring choice. It meets my mundane needs. Some parts of your life need to be boring. You can have exciting in other aspects. I accept this level of boring. Do you?

Ok, Ok, back under my rock.....

·
straight cash homie
20,743 Posts
If you have a weekend ride, then you probably do need a boring everyday car so you have just one money pit rather than two. But I agree, you buy the Highlander because of necessity. which the crossovers have become now, replacing sedans like the Camry, which was the forebearer of 'appliance purchases'.

IIRC, most of the auto journos love the Mazda CX9 because zoom zoom, but the Kia Telluride is becoming a favorite with the crowd. OTOH, the 4Runner is still the one SUV that virtually every journo loves because it is a tried and true off roader ancient or not, which to them is not boring compared to the Highlander and its segment. For those reasons, a 4Runner appeals more to a buyer's emotional side, more so than a Highlander.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I am beginning to see the faults others mention. And they are sort of minor, in general. Face it, we have no major stuff to complain about, yet, so let's pick nits. Nothing to complain about is NOT boring in my book!
Amen. I think it speaks volumes about the Highlander that the most common topic in this forum has been reviews, videos of reviews, and comparisons to other brands. Possibly it's second only to the Great Trailer Hitch Fiasco of 2020.

Don't worry about other people's opinions. You picked out your car for your reasons. Now enjoy it! If you wish you bought a different one, trade for that other one because life is too short to be hung up on a car you're not happy with.

·
straight cash homie
20,743 Posts
If you haven't already noticed @got-rice, posts in this thread are not "pity posts".
Are you still a car enthusiast at heart? I would think you are after owning so many Hondas, most which were probably more fun to drive than their Toyota counterparts at the time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you still a car enthusiast at heart? I would think you are after owning so many Hondas, most which were probably more fun to drive than their Toyota counterparts at the time.
I still like cars and am enthusiastic about them but not necessarily in the way you think. We each have different priorities and they do evolve over time.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Hybrid Platinum, 2020 Jeep JL Rubicon
50 Posts
That's funny. I just read this article last night. I think the Highlander Platinum trim has a ton of tech. Want to know why? Because I run my autos into the ground. My Acura MDX has 160K miles bought in 2009. When I bought my MDX there was no way to play podcasts or music from my phone and there was no touch screen map. There was no high tech safety such as auto braking or blind spot monitoring. I do see the future after watching some POV videos on youtube of high end cars that cost 100K...wow...the speedometer is all digital...the whole front dash is digital, etc.

So when I look at the amazing Highlander historical reliability reports in Consumer Reports and also the Highlander "dated" tech I don't see dated. I see an auto that is ahead of my 2009 tech by 11 years :) I am super excited to buy a Highlander.
That is exactly how I feel coming from a 2009 Acura RDX without the tech package.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts