Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share a video review of the XenonDepot LED light conversion of the low beams and fog lights

To sum it up, I have been pretty happy with them. Love the look and make the Highlander much more attractive compared to the dated halogens that clashed so badley witth the DRLs.

Installation was not difficult, but tedious. The hardest part was reaching for the fog lights. I got most of the clips of installing them except for the fogs as I could not fit the camera in that area since it was very deep inside the car.

the low beams are 5500k. They 95% match the DRL's. The 6000k might be the perfect match since they have a bit of blue in them. But I like how the all white turned out and provides excellant coverage, moreover then the halogens.

The fogs are even brighter then the halogens they replaced, giving you twice as much light and coverage over the halogens.

As some of you pointed, the lights to flciker when you start the car. When running, no issues with flickering,and I understand its just the power fluctuating at start up that causes them to flicker, which isnt as noticeable with halogens.

I did put the LED driver inside the housing as I felt there was more then enough room for it. I don't see it as being an issue but will report back if it does, which I doubt as the halogens they replaced don't get as hot.

Hope you all enjoy the video! Its quite long at 11mins around there with half the video being unboxing/installation so feel free to skim to see jsut the results.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice video! It answers a lot of my questions. I know in some previous posts people asked if a `canbus' is needed. You didn't need that, right? How long did it take to get the fogs installed? How much more light do these throw than the halogens? In the video it just looks `whiter' to me..not sure if actually lights the road up any more than the halogens, but that's what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice installation video! What do you guys think of the leaving the metal fins behind the dust cover instead of drilling a hole in the dust cover and exposing the fins? I also didn't notice much increased viewing distance but the improved contrast is great. I wonder if the increased lighting on the sides was due mostly to the brighter LED fog lamps rather than the headlights.

Looks like a fairly straightforward upgrade and I think I'll be adding it to my mod list.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice video. It should answer any questions anyone has.
I for one have the same model vehicle and did all the Low, High and Fog beams with the Xenon Extreme Led Pro (yes including the Fogs as well) oppose as to what was installed in the video for the Fogs.
The Stock Fogs are H16 Halogen 16w. The LED Extreme Pro are @19w and produce @1700 Stable per Xenon) That's about 2X the stock or the other LED shown in the video. They are as bright as the Low and High Beams, but will not blind as they are pointed low ground level and steer more to the sides. yes, it's light does do a good coverage front and sides.
All work well, light up fast and bright white. You don't need a Canbus at least for the Limited/platinum since they have the DRL built in separate and do not use that High beam scene as a DRL light.

The installation is straightforward as the HID's, only that the transformer/driver is much smaller and can be stuff in the same head light cavity, and don't need to drill a hole on the cover as an option.
You do have more room on the Driver Light beam side and the light socket is more central to the cover, so it is easier to spread the cooling fins, and Driver, cable inside.

For the passenger side, the light socket is much closer to the top edge of the cover opening (as shown in the video) so the cooling fins are bit stuff(just a few more minutes to accommodate) but very doable, and you can put the driver inside as well. Note: the washing reservoir is in the middle of the passenger light, but it can easily be disengaged with a quick release clip and move to the side for easy access to the passenger light if need be.

This does not take long to do. I believe it took me 30 minutes or less to do, most time was to spread the cooling fins properly and passenger side area.

One note from the video - The Led circular connector does have an internal notch/key and it can only fit one way when connected; this will avoid the issue from the video as to proper connection.
Must add that if it does not light up, then you swap/flip the other flat connector that feeds driver as the connector can be flip correct polarity(halogen/filaments do not care, but LED's do), that also goes for the Fog lights as well.
The Fogs takes a bit more time since you need to remove the bottom cover, a bit close area of space for the light bulbs, but not difficult. Need to tie wrap the driver and cables so not to be loose and that's it. Enjoy your light.
I'm very satisfied after so much searching for the proper lighting.

The video was well done and points out all that is needed. The light output is great and far more than the halogen stock bulbs do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good review. I am curious if you have had any cutting out issues? I have heard of people having issues with these, not xenondepot specific but LED headlights in general, while sitting in traffic for extended periods of time and their headlights cutting out due to heat issues.

With the tight fit, I would think this could be an issue/concern with these.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,814 Posts
Nice installation video! What do you guys think of the leaving the metal fins behind the dust cover instead of drilling a hole in the dust cover and exposing the fins? I also didn't notice much increased viewing distance but the improved contrast is great. I wonder if the increased lighting on the sides was due mostly to the brighter LED fog lamps rather than the headlights.

Looks like a fairly straightforward upgrade and I think I'll be adding it to my mod list.

Yes, the fog lights are what give you the wider light spread. Its very helpful for safer driving. I think in the video he had the halogens on as well? It looked like it.

@shaneinga
For the LED lights that cut when in traffic...I have not heard any reports of XD lights doing that. But I think ambient temperature, like in sunny states, and the stand still traffic might bring such a issue up sooner. I wonder if XD has a spec on working temperature of their LED and drivers.
Halogens are much hotter, yet they don't have a driver like LED's, so not a problem.
The driver regulating might be the issue in those lights you mention and tripping a overheat temp?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Snazzy
Just did this on my 2017 Limited Hybrid and went great thanks to your video!

I Used

H11 Xtreme LED Pro Headlight Kit
[Vehicle Options:Without CANbus]

H11 Xtreme LED CMB Bulbs | LED Fog Light Bulbs
[LED Bulb Color:5000K]

Did you change out your highs also?
If yes what bulb did you use?
If not can i use the same one as the fogs?

Again thanks for the work you put into the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
The DRL are the only LED lights that come on the 14-17, correct?

Using Xenon Depot’s product codes, would these all be the correct code:

Low Beam: XT-LED-H11-Pro
High Beam: XT-LED-9005-Pro
Fog: XT-LED-H16-Pro

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello Justmegee,

I have 2018 Platinum, (Uses same Light mounts as your 2017) I did all 3 (Low, High beams, and Fog lights) with Extreme LED Pro.

Low and Fog beam lights use the H11 No need to worry as to heat for the Fogs lamps. These LED Extreme Pro produce less heat than (H16 -16W halogens installed).

High Beams - Uses 9005

All done with the Extreme LED Pro gives you the right combination of light and uniformity in all. Yes, they will not be as bright as the HID's, but I assure you that are 2X brighter than the Halogens that comes with the vehicle, and 3X or more for the Fog Lights. The advantages of the LED for fast/quick start lighting, and the longevity of the LED, You really will not miss the HID at all.:my2cents:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello Stetson_GBR,

Yes, that is correct!!!
That is what I did for my 2018 HL Platinum. You don't need a CanBus either if your DLR comes embedded in the Headlights/separate.
If it uses the High Beams as the source for the DLR, then a Canbus is in need, due to the lower voltage drop scheme use on the High Beam to replicate the DRL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JCA,

I didn't use the extreme pro led kit for the fogs I went with the
H11 Xtreme LED CMB Bulbs | LED Fog Light Bulbs
[LED Bulb Color:5000K].

But I will be buying the
9005 Xtreme LED Pro Headlight Kit like you used.

Thanks for the Help

·
Registered
310 Posts
Great review! thanks for taking the time to do this. Looks like the Toyota projectors to a fairly good job with the L/R cutoffs with aftermarket LED/HID. Do you by chance have any before/afters of the cutoffs against a wall/door? Also what made you decide to go with LED instead of HID for the headlights? Just curious.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Great review! thanks for taking the time to do this. Looks like the Toyota projectors to a fairly good job with the L/R cutoffs with aftermarket LED/HID. Do you by chance have any before/afters of the cutoffs against a wall/door? Also what made you decide to go with LED instead of HID for the headlights? Just curious.
Take a look at this review with the Toyota projectors: http://www.xenondepot.com/2017-toyota-H11-led-bulb-review-s/106.htm

Danny

·
Registered
18 Posts
How hard is it to get the entire bulb, including the fan blades, into the casing? It looks like you have to scrunch the blades down to get the dust cover to fit. Has anyone been able to get the dust cover on without doing that? Is there a negative impact on heat dissipation with the blades bent like that?

·
Registered
16 HL Limited Plat
153 Posts
On my 2016 Highlander Limited I replaced the low and high beams using kit from XenonDepot. At that time there was no LED driver box. What does that box do?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm considering upgrading to the Extreme LED Pro lights. For those that have done this, have you checked your headlight beam alignment and did you find it necessary to re-aim the headlights? Are are getting flashed?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts