Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 2009 Toyota Hybrid last year. It has been running well until this morning. The car wouldn't start and a warning came up "check brake system." Any ideas what to troubleshoot? Thankfully I didn't have the issues when driving long-distance on snow and ice yesterday. I've loved this car for its good gas mileage and excellent handling on winter roads. I am not near a Toyota dealer or specialized mechanic. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. Please and Thank You.

·
Registered
6 Posts
May be this will help

·
Registered
173 Posts
will parrot, it is likely your 12v battery. Just replace it if it is over 3-4 years old. 90% sure it will fix the problem (had it when I bought my car)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to have it towed. Thank God for AAA! It turned out to be the TIMING BELT--which is supposed to be replaced at 90,000 miles. Be sure to check on yours if you're nearing that mileage. Ours was at 127, 000, but this could have been a far more expensive fix. As it was, it cost about $1000 for the belt and water pump.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had to have it towed. Thank God for AAA! It turned out to be the TIMING BELT--which is supposed to be replaced at 90,000 miles. Be sure to check on yours if you're nearing that mileage. Ours was at 127, 000, but this could have been a far more expensive fix. As it was, it cost about $1000 for the belt and water pump.
What year is the car and what state do you drive it in? Interesting that the timing belt broke at home and not while driving.

·
Registered
332 Posts
What year is the car and what state do you drive it in? Interesting that the timing belt broke at home and not while driving.
Suspicious... I can't say I've seen one fail at that low a mileage nor have I seen one fail on a stopped engine (unless it had been sitting for decades). Defective belt or defective mechanic?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ah, I try to buy vehicles with engine using a timing chain. No belts for that reason. 3.5L is timing chain build from research before buying. I saw no mention of it in the maintenance either which would be for a belt. Most 4 cyl engines are belts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts