Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I remember many, many years ago in the early 2000s and prior, Toyota was the brand to get if you care about cabin quietness and comfort because Honda and Mazda and Nissan were kind of loud and stiff riding in comparison.
Now Honda and Mazda and noticeably more quiet with competing models and Nissan is known for comfy seats.
Camry is "not that bad," but Accord is quieter when, in the past, road noise was one of the biggest complaints with the Accord vs a Camry.
RAV4 and even the less noisy Venza are both kind of noisy in comparison to a Mazda CX-5.
Some Hyundai and Kia models are notably quieter than Toyota models (Elantra vs Corolla etc.).

Toyota vehicles are now often on the louder side of average in comparison to the competition.
Even some Lexus models are underwhelming in controlling road noise in comparison to Lexus competitors. If you want a quiet compact luxury SUV, you don't get an NX or UX, you get a Lincoln, Audi, BMW etc..
What happened?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have exactly the same experience. My daughter's $15k SOUL is quieter than my wife's $30k RAV4 and easily matches my $40k Highlander. Same for ride quality. Compared to the competition, today's Toyotas feel cheap. The only reason they still sell is because of sheepish Toyota fan-boys who don't bother to test-drive the competitors. I have owned over 20 cars from different manufacturers, including 8 Toyotas, and it's clear that my next car won't be a Toyota. They have fallen behind competition. They are no longer more reliable than other brands, too. They WERE more reliable in the 1980's and 1990's, but today other manufacturers have caught up and basically every brand matches or surpasses Toyota's quality and reliability. Not to mention customer services. Toyota treats loyal customers like garbage, while KIA, Buick, VW, to mention a few, offer superb customer service. Toyota's market share has been declining, and I am sure than in a few years they will fall from the pedestal and be relegated to 4th or 5th position in terms of market share in the US.

·
Registered
2020 SE CVT
94 Posts
My 2020 Corolla cabin is almost unbearably noisy.
I've owned many cars and this one is the worst by far.
Less of an issue at lower speeds, but once on a highway - really loud.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the Corolla’s class, the new Elantra is probably the way to go for the least road noise, but even a Mazda 3 might be noticeably quieter. The new 2022 Civic will becoming out later this year that might be quieter still.
In the meantime, if the biggest noise issue with your Corolla is road noise, new tires designed for minimizing tire roar might help.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Noise isn't the only issue with new(er) Toyotas. Ride comfort is also very bad. Toyota never learned how to make cars that combine comfortable ride with good handling. At least the older ones had comfortable ride, albeit at the expense of cornering ability. The new ones have the worst combination - terrible ride and lousy handling.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Road noise isn't bad in my 2019 Camry xse but it already has more interior rattles than any of my previous four Honda leases, four years each, and even my parent's 2002 Accord has less inside rattles.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think my '18 Camry is pretty quiet at cruising speed, and has great ride comfort IMO for a mid size sedan. My wife prefers the ride quality to her Chevy Cruze, but then the Cruze is a compact, more compatible to the Civic or Corolla in size. When I rented a Corolla, it was more comfortable than my Echo but not as comfortable as a Camry. Both cars however were also a heck of a lot newer. As far as road noise though, the Camry still has the original tires. Don't know what will happen when I have to get new ones. There's no interior rattles on mine that I've noticed. I'm not impressed with the cornering ability however.

Although in my case things like comfort, noise, etc. might be dependent on what I get used to. When you're used to driving an old Echo or 1/2 ton 4X4 pickup truck, most other cars are more comfortable. OTOH, when I'm at my in laws and start getting used to driving them around in their Caddy or Chrysler 300, everything else is less comfortable by comparison.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I’ve never been in a Toyota where you could not hear all of the road noises. :LOL:
What actually shows how Toyota is falling behind. Take for example a 2000, 2010 and 2020 Hyundai Sonata. Or Hyundai Elantra. If you compare the latest model with the previous two generation, you will hardly believe they belong to the same class and come from the same manufacturer. Now do it with a Camry or Corolla. Yes, the new ones have a more modern looks and electronics, better fuel economy. But in terms of comfort, noise, ride there is little difference, and in many cases, the newer models are inferior to previous generations.

Toyota has been making good cars. It still does. But it hasn't improved, while other manufacturers have made more progress. And this is why Toyota market share has been flat since the SUA fiasco. Meanwhile, Hyundai/KIA and Subaru have been gaining market share. The same will happen with resale value. Current resale value is driven by experience from 10-20 years ago. Wait another 10 years, and more people will realize that Toyota isn't worth the extra money. Toyota has become the next GM. Bloated, reliant on past glory, but falling behind more aggressive competitors. The last "big thing" that Toyota did was the Prius - around year 2000. Since then, Toyota hasn't produced any disruptive innovation, nor has made meaningful changes to their perennial models - a 2020 Camry is only marginally better than 2000 Camry, 4th generation RAV4 was in many ways inferior to 3rd generation, and 5th generation is just barely competitive, 4th generation Highlander isn't any better than 3rd generation, which in turn wasn't much of an improvement over 2nd generation HL, and the list continues. Hyundai/KIA have introduced the Palisade/Telluride which Toyota doesn't have anything to counter with, the new Sorento, Tucson and Santa Fe are much nicer than their respective Toyota counterparts. The latest generation of Forester is a major step-up from the previous 2 generations. Current VW Tiguan and Atlas are big improvements to VW lineup - maybe not the best in class but certainly attractive and competitive. GM sells 10 times more Tahoes and Yukons than Toyota sells Sequoias. The 4Runner hasn't changed at all for 10 years, and is on its last legs, especially considering mediocre safety ratings, atrocious fuel economy (it still has a 5-speed transmission). Tundra is completely uncompetitive against US brand pickups. Tacoma is becoming a niche product that only appeals to hard-core off-road enthusiasts. GM and Hyundai/KIA have a nice range of entry-level cheap SUVs for people on the budget (Trailblazer, Kona, Venue, Soul) while Toyota has nothing to offer in that market (CH-R is a joke). And the list continues ...

Strong brand name and reputation still keep Toyota afloat, but they are not enough to maintain market leadership.

Toyota is staying in their comfort zone, hoping that nothing changes, while other

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
1,097 Posts
What actually shows how Toyota is falling behind. Take for example a 2000, 2010 and 2020 Hyundai Sonata. Or Hyundai Elantra. If you compare the latest model with the previous two generation, you will hardly believe they belong to the same class and come from the same manufacturer. Now do it with a Camry or Corolla. Yes, the new ones have a more modern looks and electronics, better fuel economy. But in terms of comfort, noise, ride there is little difference, and in many cases, the newer models are inferior to previous generations.

Toyota has been making good cars. It still does. But it hasn't improved, while other manufacturers have made more progress. And this is why Toyota market share has been flat since the SUA fiasco. Meanwhile, Hyundai/KIA and Subaru have been gaining market share. The same will happen with resale value. Current resale value is driven by experience from 10-20 years ago. Wait another 10 years, and more people will realize that Toyota isn't worth the extra money. Toyota has become the next GM. Bloated, reliant on past glory, but falling behind more aggressive competitors. The last "big thing" that Toyota did was the Prius - around year 2000. Since then, Toyota hasn't produced any disruptive innovation, nor has made meaningful changes to their perennial models - a 2020 Camry is only marginally better than 2000 Camry, 4th generation RAV4 was in many ways inferior to 3rd generation, and 5th generation is just barely competitive, 4th generation Highlander isn't any better than 3rd generation, which in turn wasn't much of an improvement over 2nd generation HL, and the list continues. Hyundai/KIA have introduced the Palisade/Telluride which Toyota doesn't have anything to counter with, the new Sorento, Tucson and Santa Fe are much nicer than their respective Toyota counterparts. The latest generation of Forester is a major step-up from the previous 2 generations. Current VW Tiguan and Atlas are big improvements to VW lineup - maybe not the best in class but certainly attractive and competitive. GM sells 10 times more Tahoes and Yukons than Toyota sells Sequoias. The 4Runner hasn't changed at all for 10 years, and is on its last legs, especially considering mediocre safety ratings, atrocious fuel economy (it still has a 5-speed transmission). Tundra is completely uncompetitive against US brand pickups. Tacoma is becoming a niche product that only appeals to hard-core off-road enthusiasts. GM and Hyundai/KIA have a nice range of entry-level cheap SUVs for people on the budget (Trailblazer, Kona, Venue, Soul) while Toyota has nothing to offer in that market (CH-R is a joke). And the list continues ...

Strong brand name and reputation still keep Toyota afloat, but they are not enough to maintain market leadership.

Toyota is staying in their comfort zone, hoping that nothing changes, while other
I definitely agree. Out of the vehicles you listed the only ones I haven’t looked at up close in person is the VW models. Especially here recently we are hearing more and more complaints of wind noise especially in the Highlanders and Toyota won’t do anything about it. It’s because they don’t care they know people will pay for the name. Out of the two Toyota I currently own they are noisy and the newer ones I work on at work are very noisy as well. Nosiest vehicles I have ever owned in my life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2015 Corolla and upgrade to a 2019 Camry. I hoped the noise and comfort level would improve but I ended up trading the Camry in after about a year. I rented a 2021 Prius for a week and drove it about 1,000 miles and was disappointed in the noise and drive quality. I would say I actually liked the seat itself.

I am torn on what to do as ride quality and noise is important for me. I was thinking of seeing what a Gen5 Prius will look like, as there is rumors of a major redesign but from what iv read I think the new design the BZs and not sure if Prius will even get them, and if Toyota will use this to revamp there quality.

I even test drove a Lexus ES350 and was not blown away. I had a more comfortable ride, quiet ride with a lower priced competitor.

I think it is time for me to widen my net for my next car and try other non Toyota brands.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I had a 2015 Corolla and upgrade to a 2019 Camry. I hoped the noise and comfort level would improve but I ended up trading the Camry in after about a year. I rented a 2021 Prius for a week and drove it about 1,000 miles and was disappointed in the noise and drive quality. I would say I actually liked the seat itself.

I am torn on what to do as ride quality and noise is important for me. I was thinking of seeing what a Gen5 Prius will look like, as there is rumors of a major redesign but from what iv read I think the new design the BZs and not sure if Prius will even get them, and if Toyota will use this to revamp there quality.

I even test drove a Lexus ES350 and was not blown away. I had a more comfortable ride, quiet ride with a lower priced competitor.

I think it is time for me to widen my net for my next car and try other non Toyota brands.
Try Genesis or BMW. IMHO BMW has the best combination of ride comfort + handling - comfortable (especially over rough roads) without being "wobbly" and superb handling. It's quiet, and the engine tone, when pressed hard, is actually pleasant without being harsh. I still haven't found any Japanese car (Toyota, Honda, Subaru, even Lexus) that would offer a good combination of ride comfort and handling like many European cars do (BMW, Merc, Renault, Opel). Even my super cheap Renault Clio (about 12k Euro new) that I owned while living in Europe in the early 2000s had better ride and handling than any Toyota regardless of price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts