Toyota Nation Forum banner

Toyota of America is way behind Toyota of Japan

3298 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  kathyricks
Quick rant, so I believe that Toyota of America is really lacking behind Toyota of Japan. I am a Toyota salesman and I love Toyotas and the Camry is one of my favorite cars and it is also one of the most popular cars we sell. However I think Toyota of America is behind. See we recently purchased a 2018 Camry XSE, it's pretty basic, no pano sunroof and no audio upgrades or driver assist package. The Entune 3.0 radio or infotainment system is way behind the competition. Very little app support, no apple carplay or android auto and don't even get me started on scout gps link. So I was thinking, there is no way in h*ll that this system would fly in Japan. So I started doing some research on the Japanese Camry and what kind of accessories are available from Toyota. This blew my mind, not only way the infotainment system way more advanced in Japan, but it could also be changed or upgraded after purchase, STILL OEM TOYOTA. This is genius, being able to upgrade your infotainment system after the fact. Then I also find out you can add parking sensors, a front camera, and 360 cameras, dash cameras, afterwards as well. Would be interesting to see of these parts would work on a domestic Camry. The amount of accessories available from Toyota blew me away. On top of all the cool electronic accessories you can add, they even have pretty sweet TRD parts available too, TRD wheels, front and rear lips, side skirts, spoilers, suspension. Maybe it's just me or maybe Toyota of America is trying to appeal to a different age group, but I think that they are missing out. Let me know what you think and check out the links below to check out some cool JDM accessories that we cannot get over here.

https://toyota.jp/catalog/camry_main/book/#target/page_no=56
https://toyota.jp/catalog/camry_acc/book/#target/page_no=20
https://toyota.jp/catalog/camry_navi/book/#target/page_no=14
Reactions: Cedric Codrington
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
780 Posts
Quick rant, so I believe that Toyota of America is really lacking behind Toyota of Japan. I am a Toyota salesman and I love Toyotas and the Camry is one of my favorite cars and it is also one of the most popular cars we sell. However I think Toyota of America is behind. See we recently purchased a 2018 Camry XSE, it's pretty basic, no pano sunroof and no audio upgrades or driver assist package. The Entune 3.0 radio or infotainment system is way behind the competition. Very little app support, no apple carplay or android auto and don't even get me started on scout gps link. So I was thinking, there is no way in h*ll that this system would fly in Japan. So I started doing some research on the Japanese Camry and what kind of accessories are available from Toyota. This blew my mind, not only way the infotainment system way more advanced in Japan, but it could also be changed or upgraded after purchase, STILL OEM TOYOTA. This is genius, being able to upgrade your infotainment system after the fact. Then I also find out you can add parking sensors, a front camera, and 360 cameras, dash cameras, afterwards as well. Would be interesting to see of these parts would work on a domestic Camry. The amount of accessories available from Toyota blew me away. On top of all the cool electronic accessories you can add, they even have pretty sweet TRD parts available too, TRD wheels, front and rear lips, side skirts, spoilers, suspension. Maybe it's just me or maybe Toyota of America is trying to appeal to a different age group, but I think that they are missing out. Let me know what you think and check out the links below to check out some cool JDM accessories that we cannot get over here.

https://toyota.jp/catalog/camry_main/book/#target/page_no=56

https://toyota.jp/catalog/camry_acc/book/#target/page_no=20

https://toyota.jp/catalog/camry_navi/book/#target/page_no=14

Never buy an American Toyota. Made in Japan only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
12,447 Posts
Never buy an American Toyota. Made in Japan only.

Good luck as they are minimizing imports from Japan but regardless if the Camry is built in Japan for sell in North America, it's still built within this market's specs.
Only reason why the new batch of Camrys were built in Japan is because the plants in Kentucky and Canada were still finalizing their plants to accommodate the new Camrys.
By now, they should be running at 100% so shipping Camrys built in Japan is no longer a viable option.

Yes, Toyota Japan has been offering better parts for the Camrys since the 90s. They offered automatic folding side mirrors and auto climate controls in Japan where here in the US, all the mirrors were fixed (unfoldable) and had no option of automatic climate controls. These are some examples and they were completely interchangeable with the the USDM Camrys and JDM Camrys.
I'm sure the parts from Japan can also be interchangeable as well with our Camrys.

I made a thread showing the TRD Japan parts for Camrys, along with the prices Japanese vendors are selling it at.

Very pricey but any great quality product from Japan will cost you a pretty penny.

Personally, if I was still single and bought a LE Hybrid, I would definitely get most of the TRD body kit and parts for the Camry.

Sadly, TRD Japan does not offer much parts for the Gen 7-7.5 Camrys. The only thing that is compatible is the TRD push button I have.

Reactions: got-rice

· Registered
780 Posts
Good luck as they are minimizing imports from Japan but regardless if the Camry is built in Japan for sell in North America, it's still built within this market's specs.

Only reason why the new batch of Camrys were built in Japan is because the plants in Kentucky and Canada were still finalizing their plants to accommodate the new Camrys.

By now, they should be running at 100% so shipping Camrys built in Japan is no longer a viable option.

I made a thread showing the TRD Japan parts for Camrys, along with the prices Japanese vendors are selling it at.

Very pricey but any great quality product from Japan will cost you a pretty penny.

Personally, if I was still single and bought a LE Hybrid, I would definitely get most of the TRD body kit and parts for the Camry.

Sadly, TRD Japan does not offer much parts for the Gen 7-7.5 Camrys. The only thing that is compatible is the TRD push button I have.

My Gf got a Japan built Camry 30% parts from japan (engine and tranny) . I got a 4Runner 2007 and a Scion iM. Both of these are 100% parts from japan.

· TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
12,447 Posts
My Gf got a Japan built Camry 30% parts from japan (engine and tranny) . I got a 4Runner 2007 and a Scion iM. Both of these are 100% parts from japan.

That Camry is not built in Japan. It is built here. All of Toyotas in some aspect have certain parts made in Japan and then shipped to the plants in the USA and assembled here.

The engines and transmissions are usually all built in Japan, but are assembled 100% in Kentucky or Canada.

Only few Toyota models are built 100% in Japan: Land Cruiser, Corolla iM, Corolla Hatchback, Yaris, 4Runner, Mirai, Prius Prime, some Prius, Prius C, 86, small percentage of Camrys.

In the past, all Scions were built in Japan.

I hope this helps.

· Registered
780 Posts
That Camry is not built in Japan. It is built here. All of Toyotas in some aspect have certain parts made in Japan and then shipped to the plants in the USA and assembled here.

The engines and transmissions are usually all built in Japan, but are assembled 100% in Kentucky or Canada.

Only few Toyota models are built 100% in Japan: Land Cruiser, 4Runner, Mirai, Prius Prime, some Prius, Prius C, 86, small percentage of Camrys.

In the past, all Scions were built in Japan.

I hope this helps.

J vin Camry 2018. Assembled in Japan . Scion iM and Corolla iM and Corolla Hatchbacks are made in Japan with 100% parts

· BeerSteakTxas
12,725 Posts
OP, if you are Toyota salesman, you should know that a Camry in America positioned as a more or less affordable economy midsize midpack segment car vs pretty expensive large E-segment car in the EU and Asia. How many ppl in US would pay 40+K for a loaded to the roof Camry? Parktronics, 3-zome climate, rear entertainment, bi-xenon, adaptive low beams etc, very few ppl would want that stuff on their Camry. The US buyers don't see much sense to pay even 35k MSRP for the loaded trims. 20-25K range is where the Camry is doing great, anything above is hardly justifiable.
Different markets, different expectations, different niches and same as Germans don't sell 150 HP E-class with cloth or 520i in the US, Toyota don't sell loaded Camry to keep market segmentation and hierarchy under control and not cannibalize Avalon and ES sales.

· TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
12,447 Posts
J vin Camry 2018. Assembled in Japan . Scion iM and Corolla iM and Corolla Hatchbacks are made in Japan with 100% parts

Okay, then yes, any VIN # that starts with a "J" is built in Japan.

I have already edited my post regarding the Corolla Hatchback and iM.

· Registered
780 Posts

Okay, then yes, any VIN # that starts with a "J" is built in Japan.

I have already edited my post regarding the Corolla Hatchback and iM.

Yeah I am super Anal about Japan made cars. I was the one who drove 40miles away just to get my gf the Jvin Camry. Which shud be more reliable than the crappy USA made ones.

· straight cash homie
25,789 Posts
Move to Japan or overseas, where the products are different.

Toyota USA isn't going back to being more Japanese. They overcame xenophobia of auto buyers that permeated the 60s and 70s, when Detroit thought they could do no wrong, and racist Detroit autoworkers. Kentucky communities are super thankful for Toyota setting up shop and providing jobs here in the country. It sure helps sell to many Americans, of some who still won't buy anything but American made...

· Registered
61 Posts
You can get TRD parts for the American (ws) made camry xse and the prices aren't too bad but the shipping is insane on the front lip. Rear upper and lower TRD spoilers aren't bad though for shipping costs. Anyone know if the TRD start button lettering lights up with the dash lights like the factory button?

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Yeah I am super Anal about Japan made cars. I was the one who drove 40miles away just to get my gf the Jvin Camry. Which shud be more reliable than the crappy USA made ones.
Mechanically the USA made ones are identical to the Japan made ones and have a 33 year track record of 500,000 mile capable durability beginning with the 1985 Chevy Nova (a rebadged 1984 Corolla) which was built in Fremont, California under the direction of Toyota Chairman Eiji Toyoda (shown below in the Fremont factory) and Toyota president Tatsuro Toyoda (in the drivers seat of the 1985 Nova shown below):

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.