Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, its been done. Ive read about it being done on other forums, some have done it and had good results, while others have done it and not been happy with the out come and have gone back to the stock ignition.

·
Benwill1
80's toys
125 Posts
Has it been done to a 1st generation?
Why do you want to run MSD?? Most Chevy and Ford guys do this to get rid of the computer or points and be able to change the timming curve. I have run my factory ignition for five years in my race truck. I have turned it over 8 thousand several times with no problem. I bought a stand alone rev limiter off of ebay made by MSD, but never installed it.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I would believe msd ignition would wear out the spark plugs pretty fast.

Ok, I'm confused.

If that's so, why did you post your original question about using it ? ?

·
Registered
1976 2wd Longbed
41 Posts
MSD Upgrade?

I too have been wondering about a newer ignition setup. Recently installed a smog legal 32/36 on my 76 20R. Im wondering if its worth the money, mileage and performance wise?(stronger spark & wider gaps?) I already converted the points, still stock coil.
Been looking at this, http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Ignitions/Daily_Driver/5900_-_Blaster_Ignition.aspx

benwill1 made a good point, does everyone agree with that?

·
Banned
1987 Toyota 4Runner
194 Posts
Its a waste of time, you've got a fucking four banger with technology thats a hundred years old, 300K Miles no problem. 300Hp? Not on a realistic budget.. IF you want power supercharge a 3.4 and stick in there.. :headbang:

·
Registered
1976 2wd Longbed
41 Posts
Exactly. Its 30+ years old and could probably benefit from a newer spark technology. Not for power but for making sure the engine is running efficiently. To ensure the extra fuel from the bigger carb is burnt completely. Im not saying I know that for a fact but is what im led to believe and it makes sense.

Nobody said anything about 300horse on a budget dude.:headbang:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts