575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Research is Your Friend!!
2006 GTO
850 Posts
RAV4EVR said:
That's sad.. :sosad:
My bet would be Toyota is looking for more manufacturing capacity in NA and see Ford's plant closing as a way to economically achieve that. Said another way, Toyota only wants Ford's (closed) plants, not any "real" engineeting sharing. Just my guess.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
^^^I hope you're right. I wouldn't want Ford's poision in Toyota, not to say Toyota's are perfect but pretty darn close! At this point I can't see any benifit for Toyota, maybe what you said but really their already building more factories without Ford's help. I think this has come about as the new CEO of Ford is a Toyota fan or is influenced by them...ironic isn't it??:lol:

·
Research is Your Friend!!
2006 GTO
850 Posts
ECHOKnight2000 said:
^^^I hope you're right. I wouldn't want Ford's poision in Toyota, not to say Toyota's are perfect but pretty darn close! At this point I can't see any benifit for Toyota, maybe what you said but really their already building more factories without Ford's help. I think this has come about as the new CEO of Ford is a Toyota fan or is influenced by them...ironic isn't it??:lol:
When Toyota bought GM's shares of Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru), the fruits of that purchase was an instant increase plant capacity for NA.

"Toyota has six assembly plants in North America and one under construction. It also plans to build Camry sedans at one assembly line at Fuji Heavy Industries' Subaru plant in Lafayette, Ind."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/299444_toyota12.html

Who's to say this isnt what is behind the scenes of all these FoMoCo and Toyota Talks?:confused:

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
engineer said:
.............. Said another way, Toyota only wants Ford's (closed) plants, not any "real" engineeting sharing. Just my guess.

Ooooo... that would definately give some Ford fans a higher heart beat.. :D

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
MAR said:
anyone know why Toyota loaned some of its hybrid tech to Nissan?

I'm not sure of the details although very ironic as Nissan is an arch rival:confused:

·
Registered
508 Posts
MAR said:
anyone know why Toyota loaned some of its hybrid tech to Nissan?
Is isn't just a loan... like the Ford escape, Nissan pays Toyota to use their patented technology. There may be future considerations aswell, like when GM used Honda's 3.5L V6 in the Saturn Vue, Honda got some GM diesels to use in the European(?) market.

·
I'm that guy.
351 Posts
engineer said:
When Toyota bought GM's shares of Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru), the fruits of that purchase was an instant increase plant capacity for NA.

"Toyota has six assembly plants in North America and one under construction. It also plans to build Camry sedans at one assembly line at Fuji Heavy Industries' Subaru plant in Lafayette, Ind."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/299444_toyota12.html

Who's to say this isnt what is behind the scenes of all these FoMoCo and Toyota Talks?:confused:
The only issue is, aren't most Ford plants unionized. That could present a problem, if they (the employees) expect the same sweetheart deal they have no.

·
Registered
502 Posts
nyscene911 said:
The only issue is, aren't most Ford plants unionized. That could present a problem, if they (the employees) expect the same sweetheart deal they have no.
The plants aren't entirely unionized, just the hourly workers. If Ford closes or sells the plant, the employees no longer have a job. If Toyota were to then buy the plant, they would be non-union but at least would have comparable-paying jobs. I don't know how good Toyota's retirement is compared to UAW.

C

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
The union status at any "closed" Ford plant would depend on the local labour laws of said state or province.

There are some where the union registration remains...regardless of who closes down and who moves in. That was to protect unions from being moved out when a company would "close" down and reopen under a different name.

So if TEMA is seriously looking at new plants, they ought to give a wide berth to any Ford plants.

·
Registered
502 Posts
rolla-XRS said:
The union status at any "closed" Ford plant would depend on the local labour laws of said state or province.

There are some where the union registration remains...regardless of who closes down and who moves in. That was to protect unions from being moved out when a company would "close" down and reopen under a different name.

So if TEMA is seriously looking at new plants, they ought to give a wide berth to any Ford plants.
Very interesting; I did not know that. I don't see Toyota getting tangled in with union plants, though I would guess the NUMMI plant in Fremont CA is union at least on the GM side. Hmm...

C

·
Registered
1986 toyota camry
119 Posts
Maybe the benefits of sharing technology is enough, as it effectively halves the research costs of both companies. And it doesn't really impinge on the aspects of a car many buyers find important, such as looks :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts