Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone, just recently joined the forum. I just purchased a 2017 Black SE and still waiting on it's arrival. I apologize for starting this thread as I am sure there are many based on this topic. I have done the search and read a lot online about dealership protection packages. Initially I purchased Toyota's protection package because they gave me a $400 discount off of $1600 CAD. After doing some research, I realized it was just a mark up and the dealers bully you into getting them. So I told the sales manager that I want to cancel my protection package and get rust proofing at Krown. This was his reply:

My apology, I missed your e-mail. I will remove Toyota Protection package from your deal.
I don’t recommend you doing it anywhere other than the dealership to avoid any future warranty issues. If the third party have sprayed a part that should not have been done and failed later on. It will not be covered.

So I asked him where does it state in the warranty that after market rust proofing would void my warranty (Since I know dealerships will try to scare you). He replied and attached 3 pictures of a Lexus RX after going to Krown:

It is not written anywhere about the warranty, I am just trying to pre-warn you ahead. I have seen many bad stories with third party applications.
Pictures attached of a damaged Lexus that we could not repair door seals under warranty.

There was a bit of a debate that went on and now he is offering the protection package for $800. ($1600 to $800.... yeah you can clearly see the markup.).

So my question to everyone is has anyone been denied warranty for any issues bringing their car in after getting aftermarket rust proofing? Do they actually do anything annually or just an inspection? Should I just pay $800 to not have headaches in the future trying to get warranty? Any advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
☻Black Member
1,423 Posts
'Rustproofing' a new car in general is a scam... new cars are made with industry sheet metal, primed and coated at the factory with protective paint... adding another coat of 'goop' after the car is assembled is a bit of a joke.. the grade of the materials and the weather are what determine if things are gonna rust or not.... if you are in Canada... it's well known stuff rusts fast no matter what... out here in the desert, nothing rusts... manufacturers could use a better grade of stainless.. titaniaum, aluminum and the thing would NEVER rust.. but they don't.... planned obsolecence.. :(

Skip the 'rust protection' for $1600 (lol) and simply drive the car as much as possible... don't let it sit in snowpiles/garage it, etc...

:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I do live in Canada, London Ontario to be exact and we get a lot of salt being in the snow belt. I respect your opinion Blackness, but I don't want to turn this thread into Rust proofing vs Non Rust proofing. Everyone has their opinions. I have an e46 m3 that I baby, wash often and garage and still getting rust in certain areas. I am not sure what kind of metal they had used on that model but this is about 15 years later that I am seeing rust. Imagine how much rust there would be if I haven't had it rust proofed. I can't predict 10 years from now with the SE.. so I rather have the extra protection on an expensive SUV in areas you can't control.

·
Registered
'19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
1,305 Posts
I have to agree that rust proofing is not as necessary as it was years ago. We have a 2002 Honda Civic bought new and it has no rust - this in the Detroit metro area where we generally have as much salt on the roads as snow/ice. But then if you're more comfortable getting it that's your call.

Regarding the warranty claim should it be necessary as the dealer alluded to you could always take action against the third party provider.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Everyone, just recently joined the forum. I just purchased a 2017 Black SE and still waiting on it's arrival. I apologize for starting this thread as I am sure there are many based on this topic. I have done the search and read a lot online about dealership protection packages. Initially I purchased Toyota's protection package because they gave me a $400 discount off of $1600 CAD. After doing some research, I realized it was just a mark up and the dealers bully you into getting them. So I told the sales manager that I want to cancel my protection package and get rust proofing at Krown. This was his reply:

My apology, I missed your e-mail. I will remove Toyota Protection package from your deal.
I don’t recommend you doing it anywhere other than the dealership to avoid any future warranty issues. If the third party have sprayed a part that should not have been done and failed later on. It will not be covered.

So I asked him where does it state in the warranty that after market rust proofing would void my warranty (Since I know dealerships will try to scare you). He replied and attached 3 pictures of a Lexus RX after going to Krown:

It is not written anywhere about the warranty, I am just trying to pre-warn you ahead. I have seen many bad stories with third party applications.
Pictures attached of a damaged Lexus that we could not repair door seals under warranty.

There was a bit of a debate that went on and now he is offering the protection package for $800. ($1600 to $800.... yeah you can clearly see the markup.).

So my question to everyone is has anyone been denied warranty for any issues bringing their car in after getting aftermarket rust proofing? Do they actually do anything annually or just an inspection? Should I just pay $800 to not have headaches in the future trying to get warranty? Any advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

thats BS --non of oil gard or known does any damage to plastic or rubber,these are large company's that have the best of oils for rust protection,the dealer can be sued for slandering their business ,they better be careful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.