Toyota Nation Forum banner

Toyota "quality" (not)

3K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  rl1990 
#1 ·
Brand new Tundra at the dealership. 23 miles on the ODO. Listen to the video. How do you like the sound of it? Great confidence inspiring quality.

#4 ·
All the center consoles are like that. Add a felt pad on the bottom, and a touch of lithium grease on the picot sliders.

They are reliable, but not really build with high end trim materials. It's almost comedic to look at some of the trim work on this brand.
If Toyota puts that much attention to the things you can obviously see and hear, think how much they care about the quality of the things you CAN'T see. Utter garbage. No wonder turbos are failing before 500 miles. This is worse than GM, Ford and Chrysler in the 1970s.

#3 ·
Could be WORSE.

The "hinge" lubrication and some type of cushion (ie felt pad) sounds like a solid easy and reliable fix.

If the poorly designed center console bothers you that much, look at other brands. All manufactures will have quirks that are bad. Just buy the brand that has the least annoying quirk.

If you should buy that truck, write/email/call Toyota and let them know their designers failed: poor design, poor quality control. Complaining here doesn't let the manufacture know.

#11 ·
So I work at a Kia and Chevy dealer, and I can say Chevy interiors are far worse with how cheap their materials are. We were told BY CHEVY that the issues with the new Corvette were the customers fault, not theirs...... Front trunk flying open at highway speeds? That's the customers fault, they aren't closing it properly...... Stitch on the seats not straight? Well just don't look at it.

I'll say this, with my Toyota that I have, the interior does fall apart, BUT it never dies. But that' skind of how Japanese cars have always been from my experience.

#13 ·
I had a Acura TSX that I bought brand new. In the first 2 years I owned it every door speaker had to be replaced (some twice). Also had some trim around the windshield come loose. I had that car 10 years and had over 200,000 miles on it before I lost it in an accident. The best car I've ever owned. A squeaky console lid does not define the truck's overall quality.

#14 ·
I had a Acura TSX that I bought brand new. In the first 2 years I owned it every door speaker had to be replaced (some twice). Also had some trim around the windshield come loose. I had that car 10 years and had over 200,000 miles on it before I lost it in an accident. The best car I've ever owned. A squeaky console lid does not define the truck's overall quality.
This exactly. I had a 94 Integra, 398K on it when I lost it to a drunk driver in a logging truck. Still ran like it did when I first bought it, only thing I ever had to repair was the pulley for the AC unit. Interior? Eh, not so great, but the car was fantastic.

#15 ·
I wouldn't care about the sound much, but imo the whole interior is cheap for 40K+ msrp. Same with all new Toyota's.

#16 ·
The 90's Camry is considered the best version ever produced. Very high quality materials, almost Lexus level. A 1994 Camry DX with manual transmission, plastic wheel covers, manual windows and locks and one airbag, about as basic as you can get, cost $16,000, that is $31,000 today. Toyota chose material quality over features. Toyota could put equally high quality materials in today's car but how many people would be willing to pay over $30,000 for a car with manual windows and locks? Very few would even consider buying a car with manual windows and locks. You can't have all the safety and convenience features of todays cars AND the high quality material of the Camry of the past at the price they are selling them. A Camry like that is called a Lexus ES.

#18 ·
Brand new Tundra at the dealership. 23 miles on the ODO. Listen to the video. How do you like the sound of it? Great confidence inspiring quality.

Sure it wasn't your elbow that needed greasing???

#25 ·
Courier car, meaning (most likely) deliveries during business hours, 312 miles per day, every day for 3 years... original brakes...:)
Even if so, pads are cheap and easy to replace, but a Prius is an econobox with screamingly cheap interior and ride. It's not what Toyota is used to make in 80-90's.
I've replaced 75-80% worn brake pads on a 120K 2007 Camry Hybrid with new OEM pads, I bet the next owner will be telling stories about lasting forever Toyota pads. :)

#30 ·
Very good chance it is. Sure Toyota has "cut corners" like many other automakers, still the bulk of their vehicles are still going the distance.

New owner probably will :)

Definitely solid car, but I still would buy other cars over the Prius because the Prius is still "a car" to me. If you're going to put that much mileage in a car in a short period of time, any Toyota will do honestly as long as you do the maintenance as needed.

It has been a car that has been good to the owner:) Different strokes for different folks.
You're right, maintenance is key.

Well, this means that Toyota BUILT a solid car in 2019. This doesn't mean that they still make them this way in 2022.
Wheels falling off on your latest high profile product is definitely not a good thing.
I still think they do.
Engines failing with low miles, and several recalls on your most popular model (Ford) is definitely not a good thing either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.