Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Tax imported parts as much as those countries tax our exported stuff. Its a no brainer and fair.

The flood of mexican/chinese junk parts sold on ebay/amazon and reboxed junk should be curbed. We used to make quality here in the USA.

What is Toyota worried about??? maybe that their megaplants in China won't be able to dump entire vehicles in the USA?

Maybe Trump is a little aggressive in his methods. He is trying to fix 40 years of stupid policies overnight and its scaring people. Fear the boogieman.

·
Registered
673 Posts
That is just laughable, America farmed out its own manufacturing to China and Mexico etc to get cheap consumer goods and higher corporate profits.Companies like Toyota and Honda etc are keeping America in the manufacturing business and ensuring a higher skills base in certain sectors, which enhances national security. This is an attempt to extort a deal out of foreign car companies that is favourable to American corporate interests, real shoddy geo political practice, only a weak political power would use these tactics and there in lies the real threat to national security.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sometimes you want cheap, not quality. For my daughter's Jetta, we needed some center console parts before selling it off. The real stuff was about $400. For less than $50 with shipping, Honk Kong junk worked just fine.

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
We used to make quality here in the USA.
My ‘71 Vega, ‘78 Pinto, ‘82 Olds Omega, and ‘84 Mercury LN7 would beg to disagree.

What is Toyota worried about??? maybe that their megaplants in China won't be able to dump entire vehicles in the USA?
Do you not know that Toyota and Honda have had major mfg facilities in the USA for decades? In the ‘90s, somewhere around 90% of Toyotas sold here were built here, and with somewhere around 80% US-made parts. My ‘92 Camry was more “American made” than the typical Ford or Chevy of the day.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I didn't understand the part about the "declining market share for “American-owned” carmakers".

Foreign investors can and do own purchase stock in Ford, GM, etc. Americans can and do purchase stock in foreign automakers.

My wife and I are Americans and we own shares of both Ford and the Toyota Motor Company.

·
straight cash homie
19,033 Posts
Trump is still clueless on the auto industry (Like what BMR mentioned about a lot of Toyotas having a lot of US content). Nevertheless, the majority of the MAGA crowd drive American brands (err Trucks of course), so he's catering to those voters who put him in office.

·
straight cash homie
19,033 Posts
My ‘92 Camry was more “American made” than the typical Ford or Chevy of the day.
IDK, that 92-96 Camry was Lexus like in quality, despite the fact that they were built both stateside and in Japan. Ford and Chevy of that era were still mostly American built, and of course, the quality was likewise. Each succeeding generation of Camry is more and more American than the previous one IMO. Let's just say I think the quality of those 90s Camrys is something that some people will argue that many newer Toyotas lack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts