Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my 95 Tacoma into local dealer for Rust Perforation Check in April of 2009 and they told me my frame passed. Brought it back into different dealer a year later who stated I have a huge hole in frame and given the thickness of the frame, it clearly took more than a year to develop. So I qualify for the Buyback Warranty that Toyota is offering right? Wrong. Toyota told me I missed the 15 year extension as my truck went into service in Oct 1995. If I brought the truck in one month prior, they would not let me leave with the truck as it is determined by Toyota it be "UNSAFE TO DRIVE", but since I was late, it was OK for them to release the truck to me?? I have been fighting with Toyota Corp. for some time now and stress with them that the hole was missed in 2009. Despite my letters, all I get is a nasty, rude case manger telling me "too bad you missed the cutoff"! I am now in a very difficult position as Toyota Motor Sales has deemed the truck “Unsafe to Drive” due to “Inadequate Corrosion-Resistant Protection” applied by Toyota. As my primary vehicle, I will not put my family or other drivers at risk and cannot sell this truck knowing that it unsafe to drive.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,631 Posts
When they passed your truck in 2009 did they apply the rust-proofing goop to the frame?

As for Toyota, technically your truck is out of warranty, however I suggest you still contact them and not in letters, but on the telephone. Be very firm in your conversation and state that it's only a month after the warranty has expired, and keep howling at them as your truck is undriveable and it's an already known problem.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
^They should have seen something a year ago if currently there is a huge hole in the frame. I agree with 84Cressida and say you should be calling them. Write down the dates you had your Taco in for service for the frame and what was done each time. If something was messed up at one point Toyota should honor it.

Reactions: fmpinto

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
^They should have seen something a year ago if currently there is a huge hole in the frame. I agree with 84Cressida and say you should be calling them. Write down the dates you had your Taco in for service for the frame and what was done each time. If something was messed up at one point Toyota should honor it.
I do tend to agree with that. This is probably the only chance the OP has of getting anything done.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There has to be a cut off date and it's a bummer that you're past that time chosen. I think you will be in a much better position if you intend to purchase a brand new Toyota. Having them consider you as a continued and loyal customer makes a lot more sense for whoever is trying to help you at Toyota go to a higher up to assist you. And it is probably time for a new truck anyways. I think Toyota was pretty generous, maybe too generous, with this program and for someone in your position it seems you have lost out more so on something that was never there to begin with....it would be much more difficult for them to not do anything for you if there is a benefit (selling you a new truck, building loyalty in service and future business and goodwill) to them as well. They would be a little silly not to do something for you if you were to go in this direction, imo.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Call them, politely explain the situation and why you're upset, and see what you'll do. Sometimes if you're just out of warranty on a common issue the company will work with you on it. You may not get the full buy back amount, but I would be surprised if they didn't try and do something to make you happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the support. I originally attempted to talk to Toyota via the phone but spoke to a very rude and nasty Case Manager, who basically said "too bad". When I asked to speak to her supervisor, she initially refused and said that Customer Support Supervisors do not talk to customers! She eventually gave me a name. I spoke to a supervisor the next day who was even more unprofessional and told me that he was the highest person in Toyota I could speak with and his decision to deny the warranty claim was final. He said I was lucky he called me back as supervisors don't talk to customers!!
He encouraged me to contact the President and CEO of Toyota, the BB and the Attorney General. So I wrote to the CEO and many other VP's pleading my case and letting them know that my family and I are loyal customers and would be purchasing another Toyota if they honored their warranty.
The answer was "the hole may have been overlooked in 2009, but you are now out of the warranty period".
So, I filed complaints with the BB, NHTSA, Consumer Protection Agency, The Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission. I also contacted several well respected writers in the auto world at the NY Times and a local news station is considering "investigating" my complaint. I was hoping not to bring additional bad press to Toyota, but they left me no other alternative.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Did you ever think to just save your time and fix it?

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,631 Posts
How bad exactly is the frame? Is the whole frame perforated or is the damage limited to one particular area?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,410 Posts
I always like to look at the worst case. You've had the truck for 15 years, many people would consider a new truck at that point anyway? Just saying in a worst case. I remember all the rust issues my folks had with Nissan & Datsun back in the 70's & 80's. My entire family has owned Toyota's ever since with no rust issues. :clap:

·
Banned
0 Posts
I always like to look at the worst case. You've had the truck for 15 years, many people would consider a new truck at that point anyway? Just saying in a worst case. I remember all the rust issues my folks had with Nissan & Datsun back in the 70's & 80's. My entire family has owned Toyota's ever since with no rust issues. :clap:
Well folks, there ya have it. The Toyota frame rust issues/recall is a fallacy. It must be since his entire family is living proof. :lol:

Quick, somebody call Toyota and let them know ASAP! :lol:

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,865 Posts
im in the Tough-Luck club. especially since you didnt check things out yourself and relied on the opinions of whoever what inspecting.

"huge hole" is a very vague description. last year it passed inspection, this year it didnt. such is life. next year the hole will be larger if nothing is done to stop/prevent it. maybe other mounting holes in the frame will grow larger in diameter from rust.

you live in connecticut so you have to be aware that vehicles mixed with salt and deicer are prone to rusting, especially if no extra protection is taken.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts