1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Research is Your Friend!!
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota Reports February Sales
03/03/2008
March 3, 2008 - Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported February sales of 182,169 vehicles, a decrease of 6.6 percent from last February.

"Spurred in part by rising fuel prices, Toyota’s fuel-efficient models and hybrids, the mainstay of our lineup, continue to show strength," said TMS President Jim Lentz.

The Toyota Division posted February sales of 160,892, a decrease of 6.3 percent from last February. The Lexus Division reported February sales of 21,277 units, a decrease of 9.3 percent from the year-ago month.

More at link:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2008030386090

·
Custom User Title
1,025 Posts
Toyota Reports February Sales
03/03/2008
March 3, 2008 - Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported February sales of 182,169 vehicles, a decrease of 6.6 percent from last February.

"Spurred in part by rising fuel prices, Toyota’s fuel-efficient models and hybrids, the mainstay of our lineup, continue to show strength," said TMS President Jim Lentz.

The Toyota Division posted February sales of 160,892, a decrease of 6.3 percent from last February. The Lexus Division reported February sales of 21,277 units, a decrease of 9.3 percent from the year-ago month.

More at link:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2008030386090
In unit sales Toyota was down 2.8%, ford 6.9%

Camry also had its best every February.

Tundra 14,400, they're gonna need some big months in the summer to hit target on that.

GM still sucking the well dry to try and move it's units:

General Motors showed the biggest increase to $3,315 per car from $2,694 a year ago, thanks mostly to the Saab and Cadillac brands.
Chrysler spent the most overall at $3,579 per vehicle with Ford not too far behind at $3,297.
All three Japanese car makers raised their spending, as well. Nissan's incentives jumped to $2,159 from $1,788 a year earlier, while Toyota and Honda spend more than $1,000 each.
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200803031259DOWJONESDJONLINE000682_FORTUNE5.htm

Fan

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Toyota Canada doing well

Only half the sky is falling... Toyota Canada continues to do well, and, in fact, set a new sales record for February. It is nice to know that although Toyota may be on its way to its imminent demise south of the border, we will still be able to buy Toyotas here in the Great White North.

Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) today announced it set a new record for February vehicle sales in both the Toyota and Lexus divisions. TCI sold 13,598 Toyota and Lexus vehicles in February, up 26.2 per cent compared to the same month last year.

<<
Canadians purchased 12,776 Toyota vehicles in February, up 28.1 per cent over the same month in 2007 to set a new record.

- Toyota sold 8,542 passenger cars in February, up 25.4 per cent from the same month in 2007.

- Toyota truck sales of 4,234 were up 34.1 per cent compared to February 2007 to set a new monthly record.

Canadians purchased 822 Lexus luxury cars and SUVs in February, up 2.6 per cent to set a new February record.

- Lexus luxury passenger car sales of 461 in February were off 4.6 per cent compared to the 2007's record-setting February.

- Lexus sold 361 luxury SUVs in February, up 13.5 per cent over February 2007 to set a new February record.
>>
The full article is available at: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2008/03/c8217.html.

·
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) today announced it set a new record for February vehicle sales in both the Toyota and Lexus divisions. TCI sold 13,598 Toyota and Lexus vehicles in February, up 26.2 per cent compared to the same month last year.

<<
Canadians purchased 12,776 Toyota vehicles in February, up 28.1 per cent over the same month in 2007 to set a new record.

- Toyota sold 8,542 passenger cars in February, up 25.4 per cent from the same month in 2007.

- Toyota truck sales of 4,234 were up 34.1 per cent compared to February 2007 to set a new monthly record.

Canadians purchased 822 Lexus luxury cars and SUVs in February, up 2.6 per cent to set a new February record.

- Lexus luxury passenger car sales of 461 in February were off 4.6 per cent compared to the 2007's record-setting February.

- Lexus sold 361 luxury SUVs in February, up 13.5 per cent over February 2007 to set a new February record.
>>

TCI February sales: 13,600. Up 28%, or ~3800 more units.

TMS February sales: 182,200. Down 6.6%, or ~12,800 fewer units.

To put that in perspective, TMS sales loss in the US is basically equal to the total number of sales TCI sold in Canada for the month of February.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The Canadian market is dramatically smaller than the US market. Comparing the two is just silly.

If you look at the numbers, Toyota's sales decrease can be explained with the Corolla. Corolla production is still ramping. If Corolla sales were up this month, then overall Toyota sales would have been up as well.

The Tundra saw a sales increase, but the Silverado and Sierra saw huge declines. In a contracting truck market, the Tundra continues to conquest sales.

·
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Canadian market is dramatically smaller than the US market. Comparing the two is just silly.
Your absolutely right, TCI and TMS sales can not be compared, which is the point I was attempting to make. . .

If you look at the numbers, Toyota's sales decrease can be explained with the Corolla.
The Corolla was only down 9,000 units in Feb, yet TMC was down ~12,800. . . . .so the Corolla does not account for the full decline. Like most other manufactures, Toyota’s full decline can be pretty much summed up by two automotive categories: Trucks and SUV’s, period.

The Tundra saw a sales increase, but the Silverado and Sierra saw huge declines. In a contracting truck market, the Tundra continues to conquest sales.
The fact that the Tundra was up 43% in February (or 62% ytd) is misleading. Tundra sales were low Jan-Feb of last year because it was newly launched, so any % increase is skewed by these low sales figures from last year. In fact, take away Jan and Feb of last year (production still ramping up, just like your Corolla example), and you’ll find that January had the fewest Tundra’s sold in a 11 month period, and February was the 4th slowest selling month in a 12 month period. By most accounts, the Tundra is in just as bad of shape (or worse due to no HD models) than the domestic trucks. I’m not sure where you are drawing your conclusions from, but slow selling months for the Tundra does not equal more conquest sales. 14,400 units is ~2,000 units short of Toyota’s monthly goal, and it’s on pace to sell only 160,000 units in 2008. The Tundra (just like the Silverado/Sierra, F150 and Ram) is hurting right now.

·
H/O 455
1994 Chevy Lumina
976 Posts

If you look at the numbers, Toyota's sales decrease can be explained with the Corolla. Corolla production is still ramping. If Corolla sales were up this month, then overall Toyota sales would have been up as well.

I'm willing to bet a large part of the Silverado sales drop is due to the slumping residential construction market. Less work = less fleet truck sales, and GM sells a lot of trucks to the construction business.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The Corolla was only down 9,000 units in Feb, yet TMC was down ~12,800. . . . .so the Corolla does not account for the full decline. Like most other manufactures, Toyota’s full decline can be pretty much summed up by two automotive categories: Trucks and SUV’s, period.

The fact that the Tundra was up 43% in February (or 62% ytd) is misleading. Tundra sales were low Jan-Feb of last year because it was newly launched, so any % increase is skewed by these low sales figures from last year. In fact, take away Jan and Feb of last year (production still ramping up, just like your Corolla example), and you’ll find that January had the fewest Tundra’s sold in a 11 month period, and February was the 4th slowest selling month in a 12 month period. By most accounts, the Tundra is in just as bad of shape (or worse due to no HD models) than the domestic trucks. I’m not sure where you are drawing your conclusions from, but slow selling months for the Tundra does not equal more conquest sales. 14,400 units is ~2,000 units short of Toyota’s monthly goal, and it’s on pace to sell only 160,000 units in 2008. The Tundra (just like the Silverado/Sierra, F150 and Ram) is hurting right now.
Where did you get that number from?

On a pure volume basis, Toyota sales for February 2007 were 187,330. February 2008 sales were 182,169. That's a difference of 5161 units. I did not adjust for selling days to keep things simple. If Corolla sales had matched last February sales (an increase of roughly 8000 units) then yes, Toyota WOULD have had an overall sales increase. If Corolla sales this month surpassed last February, then it would have been an even bigger sales increase.

As I said, the sales decrease this month can be entirely attributed to the Corolla.

The Tundra conquesting sales and the Tundra meeting Toyota's sales goals are two different things.

Yes, the Tundra is not meeting Toyota's sales goals so far this year but that has *nothing* to do with the fact that the Tundra continues to conquest domestic sales.

There is nothing misleading, it's very simple math. Forget about what Tundra sales were last year. That doesn't matter. Look at this month's sales. F-Series, Ram, Silverado, Sierra, and Titan were ALL down. Tundra was UP. The truck market was DOWN OVERALL. Please tell me where do you think those extra Tundra sales came from?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm willing to bet a large part of the Silverado sales drop is due to the slumping residential construction market. Less work = less fleet truck sales, and GM sells a lot of trucks to the construction business.
You could be totally right, but that doesn't change the fact it's bad news for GM.

·
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where did you get that number from?
What number?

On a pure volume basis, Toyota sales for February 2007 were 187,330. February 2008 sales were 182,169. That's a difference of 5161 units. I did not adjust for selling days to keep things simple. If Corolla sales had matched last February sales (an increase of roughly 8000 units) then yes, Toyota WOULD have had an overall sales increase. If Corolla sales this month surpassed last February, then it would have been an even bigger sales increase.
As I said, the sales decrease this month can be entirely attributed to the Corolla.

Ok, so Toyota’s entire SUV/Truck lineup (except the Highlander and low volume Sequoia) being down had nothing to do with it? OK.

The Tundra conquesting sales and the Tundra meeting Toyota's sales goals are two different things.
Ok, we agree.

Yes, the Tundra is not meeting Toyota's sales goals so far this year but that has *nothing* to do with the fact that the Tundra continues to conquest domestic sales.
There is nothing misleading, it's very simple math. Forget about what Tundra sales were last year. That doesn't matter. Look at this month's sales. F-Series, Ram, Silverado, Sierra, and Titan were ALL down.

Down based on what? Last years sales? Last months sales? The Competition? YTD sales?

Point is, for you to say something is “down” or “up” it is all relative to what you compare it to. What are you comparing these numbers to?

Tundra was UP. The truck market was DOWN OVERALL. Please tell me where do you think those extra Tundra sales came from?
Again, what are you comparing your numbers to? Tundra sales were "up" based on what?

Last year. . . . . .February sales from ‘07 are not relevant due to low inventories, so of course Tundra sales would be up based on the low numbers of last February.

Last month. . . . .January 08 sales were the lowest sales volume month for the Tundra in 11 consecutive months. If based on that, of course the Tundra would be "up".

Year to date? Again, last years numbers are not an accurate measure because inventories were not fully stocked. You can not use last year to measure the success of this year. . . . last years numbers will skew the results.
Based off of the competition. . . . . .

-F-150 down 6.5% YTD (but those numbers are based on a “real” Jan-Feb of ’07, i.e. dealership lots were fully stocked with F150’s last year at this time).

-Silverado down 17.4% YTD (again, based off of “real” Jan-Feb sales figures, with dealership lots being full of the new Silverado’s). On a side note, the Silverado numbers were sensational for Feb of last year (58,696 units!!), which makes the -28% look worse than it is (though still not good by any means).

-Titan down 35% YTD (this is truly a sales dud, but again, “real” comparable numbers).

-Ram down 20% YTD (but again, based off of “real” comparable Jan-Feb sales numbers in ’07).

Point is, the Tundra’s “increases” that you speak of is based off of numbers that were artificially low due to low inventories in Jan-Feb of last year.

·
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess research isn't your friend?

TOTAL TOYOTA 182,169 187,330

Down 5161 Units

Fan
or the fact that my quick math neglected to take into account the difference in S/D. . . .

thanks though, way to be 40 minutes behind vasia. . . . .:Bruce:

·
Registered
406 Posts
What number?
The arbitrary number you got that Toyota sales somehow were down 12800 units.

Ok, so Toyota’s entire SUV/Truck lineup (except the Highlander and low volume Sequoia) being down had nothing to do with it? OK.

Their entire lineup other than the Highlander and Sequoia? So first you get Toyota's sales decrease wrong, and now this? Have you even looked at Toyota's sales for this month properly? Land Cruiser sales were UP. Tundra sales were UP. Sienna sales were roughly flat. Rav4, FJC, 4Runner, and Tacoma were down. Far from the entire lineup.

Down based on what? Last years sales? Last months sales? The Competition? YTD sales?

Point is, for you to say something is “down” or “up” it is all relative to what you compare it to. What are you comparing these numbers to?

Again, what are you comparing your numbers to? Tundra sales were "up" based on what?

Last year. . . . . .February sales from ‘07 are not relevant due to low inventories, so of course Tundra sales would be up based on the low numbers of last February.

Last month. . . . .January 08 sales were the lowest sales volume month for the Tundra in 11 consecutive months. If based on that, of course the Tundra would be "up".

Year to date? Again, last years numbers are not an accurate measure because inventories were not fully stocked. You can not use last year to measure the success of this year. . . . last years numbers will skew the results.
Based off of the competition. . . . . .

-F-150 down 6.5% YTD (but those numbers are based on a “real” Jan-Feb of ’07, i.e. dealership lots were fully stocked with F150’s last year at this time).

-Silverado down 17.4% YTD (again, based off of “real” Jan-Feb sales figures, with dealership lots being full of the new Silverado’s). On a side note, the Silverado numbers were sensational for Feb of last year (58,696 units!!), which makes the -28% look worse than it is (though still not good by any means).

-Titan down 35% YTD (this is truly a sales dud, but again, “real” comparable numbers).

-Ram down 20% YTD (but again, based off of “real” comparable Jan-Feb sales numbers in ’07).

Point is, the Tundra’s “increases” that you speak of is based off of numbers that were artificially low due to low inventories in Jan-Feb of last year.
Let me state this clearly once more:

The OVERALL full-size truck segment was DOWN.
ALL full-size trucks (except the Tundra) were DOWN in a DOWN market segment.
Tundra sales were UP in a DOWN market segment.

Is that any more clear? I'm not comparing Tundra sales to other months. I'm comparing ALL truck sales THIS month to each other.

If ALL trucks in the segment were DOWN, if the segment overall was DOWN, and Tundra sales were UP, that MUST mean the Tundra is conquesting truck buyers from the competition.

·
Custom User Title
1,025 Posts

Is that any more clear? I'm not comparing Tundra sales to other months. I'm comparing ALL truck sales THIS month to each other.

If ALL trucks in the segment were DOWN, if the segment overall was DOWN, and Tundra sales were UP, that MUST mean the Tundra is conquesting truck buyers from the competition.
Exactly: If your sales are up when the segment is down, you've increased your market share, which by default means year over year you took sales away from the competition.

Fan

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Exactly: If your sales are up when the segment is down, you've increased your market share, which by default means year over year you took sales away from the competition.

Fan
Obviously there are those who do not believe that a Toyota truck could ever be UP in a DOWN segment, thereby making conquest sales, and will remain forever in denial. I gave up trying to discuss this with these people long ago; it is not worth the agony.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
More chances for me to use this smilie :popcorn:

Obviously there are those who do not believe that a Toyota truck could ever be UP in a DOWN segment, thereby making conquest sales, and will remain forever in denial. I gave up trying to discuss this with these people long ago; it is not worth the agony.
But you can always count on these people to bring in Toyota news, especially when it's bad news :lol:

On the other hand, it's nice to see Nicolas back again, but for how long? :dunno: And where's Vmax? This ain't a party without him :thumbup::lol:

·
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The arbitrary number you got that Toyota sales somehow were down 12800 units.
See my response to fanfanfan above. My 6.6% sales decrease was based off of the total volume sales number which was not adjusted for S/D. My apologies for the incorrect value.

Their entire lineup other than the Highlander and Sequoia? So first you get Toyota's sales decrease wrong, and now this? Have you even looked at Toyota's sales for this month properly? Land Cruiser sales were UP. Tundra sales were UP. Sienna sales were roughly flat. Rav4, FJC, 4Runner, and Tacoma were down. Far from the entire lineup.
Land Cruiser? They sold 394 units. . . .not sure we should even be talking about these, but sure, the Land Cruiser was up (again, compared to February ‘07 sales figures). . . .

I don’t consider the Sienna an SUV (though technically I guess the market says it is), but if you would like to include the Sienna, OK.

No, that makes it no clearer, because you have not provided real numbers.

I agree the truck market is DOWN (based on YTD and Feb ’08 vs Feb ’07 sales numbers).

I agree ALL full-sized trucks are down (except the Tundra).

I agree the Tundra is “UP”. The contention I have is, this “UP” is based on February ’07 vs February ’08 sales comparison. If this is the “UP” you speak of, then I say these values are irrelevant (for this argument). Why? Because of the low dealer stock of Tundra’s last February, due in large part to the gradual ramp up of its production.

Low sales numbers due to production/inventory constraints (’07) vs regular production/inventories (’08) does not provide accurate data.

<very deep breath>Here is a very simple question that requires a one sentence reply:

What value are you comparing February (2008) Tundra sales to when you make the assertion that Tundra sales are “UP”?

You have to have another (sales) value to compare Feb 2008 sales to, I would like to know what that value is (as in a real value, expressed in real numbers, to take the form of X,XXX).

Once you supply that, we can continue, but until then, we are going to keep talking in circles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here we go with the trucks,suv's, crossovers again. The reason why toyota sales are down because the market is finally up with the boring non - sporty toyota products.

If anyone in this forum cares...Honda sales are up for the same period.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts