Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I did not renew my Safety Connect. Toyota keeps sending me letters to renew. It was disconnected in early April. (No more little green light next to the SOS button).

Get another letter today telling me that my subscription expired and they are in the process of deactivating my service. (Yes, I already knew it was deactivated).

On the back of the letter, it says "Contact with the Toyota Safety Connect Response Center is dependent upon the telematics device being in operative condition, cellular connection availability, navigation map data, and GPS satellite signal reception, which can limit the ability to reach either the Toyota Response Center or receive support." OK, wanted to know what they mean by Telematics Device, and also Cellular Connection AVAILABILITY. Phoned their renewal number, 888-683-9505 and she could not tell me anything. All she could do is to take orders, and to read off of a standard answer sheet. She did however connect me to Toyota Customer Service. I asked this second person what is Telematics Device, and she said it is the speaker behind the mirror. (I know it has to be more than that)(thy really don't know themselves, and answer off of a standard answer sheet). As for what is meant by Cellular Connection Availability, and does it mean that there must be cellular antennas in the area, she had to go ask others in her work area. Came back and said that yes, there has to be cellular antennas in area, otherwise, it won't work.

I did not question her or argue with her (as I know that she just works there and is just doing her job as best as she can), but my thoughts are that if the Safety Connect must be in an area where there is cellular connection availability (I.E. Cell Coverage with Cell Antennas), I have no need to Toyota Safety Connect as I can just use my cell phones to call for help if needed. Don't need or want Automatic Collision Notification or Stolen Vehicle Location or the Emergency Assistance Button (SOS). As for Enhanced Roadside Assistance, I already have that using my cell phones.

I never used it at all, in the twelve months I've owned the car. Never even tested it. If they really wanted me to have it, they should include it for four or five years, on an expensive car like the Avalon Limited.

Needless to say, I did not reactivate. :wtf:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bob: for what it's worth, I made use of and had a very good experience with Safety Connect and as a result renewed it when my one-year "complimentary" subscription expired at the end of February. Three months ago, I went out to my car in its parking space behind my house and found the right front tire flat. I punched Safety Connect and within a couple of minutes the operator had taken my name and the issue and confirmed my location via GPS, had called and three-way-connected a local service, and the service had given me an ETA of about 20 minutes. In less time than that, a service guy drove up, took off the flat tire and replaced it with the small spare. I was able to visit my dealer that same day and they fixed the flat and substituted the repaired tire for the spare, all for $35. I do have AAA, but I have another car which is not "Safety Connected" and so want that service. But the speed and efficiency with which Safety Connect acted to resolve my problem made me decide to renew. It's like insurance - you pay for it but you really hope you won't need it. For me, it made sense, but I can see others coming to a different conclusion.

2013 TAH Limited w/o tech package; 2/13 build date; crimson mica w/ light gray interior

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob: for what it's worth, I made use of and had a very good experience with Safety Connect and as a result renewed it when my one-year "complimentary" subscription expired at the end of February. Three months ago, I went out to my car in its parking space behind my house and found the right front tire flat. I punched Safety Connect and within a couple of minutes the operator had taken my name and the issue and confirmed my location via GPS, had called and three-way-connected a local service, and the service had given me an ETA of about 20 minutes. In less time than that, a service guy drove up, took off the flat tire and replaced it with the small spare. I was able to visit my dealer that same day and they fixed the flat and substituted the repaired tire for the spare, all for $35. I do have AAA, but I have another car which is not "Safety Connected" and so want that service. But the speed and efficiency with which Safety Connect acted to resolve my problem made me decide to renew. It's like insurance - you pay for it but you really hope you won't need it. For me, it made sense, but I can see others coming to a different conclusion.

2013 TAH Limited w/o tech package; 2/13 build date; crimson mica w/ light gray interior
So what you are saying is that you used Safety Connect vice using your AAA which is based on you, not the car. At least that is how I read it.
Also, you are paying twice. Once for Safety Connect and once for AAA. Remember AAA is assigned to the person, not the car. Also, you already have Toyota Roadside Assistance, which has nothing to do with Safety Connect. You can do all that just using your Cell Phone. What you can't do with your cell phone is the Automatic Collision Notification, and the Stolen Vehicle Location (which has to be requested by the Police, not by you and you have a good chance of finding your car very damaged, if and when the Police find it).

My main thing about my post is that it still needs "cellular connection availability" which your hand held cell phone already has. Also, I can set my cell phones to NOT TRACK ME, but Safety Connect can and will always track you.

Thanks Toyota, but No Thanks Safety Connect.

JMHO

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bob: don't want to get into an argument with you. I am a dummy and a luddite since I don't always carry my cell phone, and my one experience with the SOS Safety Connect System was a very good one, a great deal better than my one rather awful experience with AAA a number of years ago. Twenty minutes from discovering my flat tire to having it replaced with the spare was pretty amazing. I realize that I could have called some number to access Toyota Care for help, but I had no idea what the number was and punching the SOS button was a no brainer for me. I suspect you're much more technologically capable than I am, but as a dummy and a luddite, I'm comfortable spending a few bucks, even if its duplicative, to ensure good roadside assistance (plus the other features) simply by punching the SOS button. I'm certainly not being critical of your decision; spending a few extra bucks on Safety Connect simply works for me.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It should be pointed out in this discussion that the one potentially life-saving feature of Safety Connect is the Automatic Collision Notification. If the airbags deploy in an accident and the driver is unable to respond when contacted by the Safety Connect center, local emergency services will be dispatched to the vehicle's location.

Robert N.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Unless I'm wrong, remember non of this works if your battery is destroyed or disconnected in an accident.
No, that is actually not the case. There is a separate backup battery. Here is something I previously posted in another thread, which I copied from an online manual:

Safety Connect backup battery depletion

An exclusive backup battery is built in to assist the Automatic Collision Notification, which is activated when impact above a certain level is applied to the vehicle, or when the airbags operate. This battery is a primary battery,and cannot be charged. The red LED indicator will flash to indicate that the battery should be replaced.
The backup battery will need to be replaced if the Automatic Collision Notification operates for 60 seconds or more. For replacement, consult your Toyota dealer.

Robert N.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob: don't want to get into an argument with you. I am a dummy and a luddite since I don't always carry my cell phone, and my one experience with the SOS Safety Connect System was a very good one, a great deal better than my one rather awful experience with AAA a number of years ago. Twenty minutes from discovering my flat tire to having it replaced with the spare was pretty amazing. I realize that I could have called some number to access Toyota Care for help, but I had no idea what the number was and punching the SOS button was a no brainer for me. I suspect you're much more technologically capable than I am, but as a dummy and a luddite, I'm comfortable spending a few bucks, even if its duplicative, to ensure good roadside assistance (plus the other features) simply by punching the SOS button. I'm certainly not being critical of your decision; spending a few extra bucks on Safety Connect simply works for me.
Thanks for the compliment but in reality, I am the biggest computer dummy you have ever seen.

·
PJSMITH
1,681 Posts
not sure I get it.

I have AAA. (with other my cars too)
I have SOS by default with the new AVALON.
When it runs out I have to call AAA on cell phone and wait 20 minutes for the same guy that does SOS or is there a special Toyota guy 24/7?

The services (OnStar/Farmers/Allstate/Nationwide/AAA/[name it]) all subscribe to all of the local tow/tire/battery places. (I have a friend that is a tow truck driver at a local place).

I don't understand the TOYOTA person giving better service.
Sometimes you get the good guys and sometimes, less.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
not sure I get it.

I have AAA. (with other my cars too)
I have SOS by default with the new AVALON.
When it runs out I have to call AAA on cell phone and wait 20 minutes for the same guy that does SOS or is there a special Toyota guy 24/7?

The services (OnStar/Farmers/Allstate/Nationwide/AAA/[name it]) all subscribe to all of the local tow/tire/battery places. (I have a friend that is a tow truck driver at a local place).

I don't understand the TOYOTA person giving better service.
Sometimes you get the good guys and sometimes, less.
I've heard that different roadside assistance plans pay differing rates to the local guys, and they give priority to the higher-paying plans. Can your friend confirm or deny that?

·
Premium Member
'13 TAH & '10 FJC
862 Posts
I've heard that different roadside assistance plans pay differing rates to the local guys, and they give priority to the higher-paying plans. Can your friend confirm or deny that?
As a retired accident reconstructionist, I can confirm that. Each service also has (or had...not there anymore to confirm) a performance window which they had to abide by/respond to. If they fell outside that window after advising they could properly respond for us, they lost the call and were pushed down the list (we, as government, paid the most!) for subsequent calls. In many urban/suburban areas, there was one main company with the contract. On 'civilian' or 'member' calls, they had to prioritize based on their main contract...after that, it was by compensation paid. Saw them turn many a call down on busy nights when they knew they could make more from another carrier later that night (or sometimes just wanted to go home since they didn't feel the pay was worth the call). In the rural areas, they seemed to do more of the same, as many of them did not have a main contract with any one service. The rural guys seemed to be more hungry for any business, tho, unless it was hunting season!:D

·
PJSMITH
1,681 Posts
the different services pay a little different, but in San Diego there are so many tow vendors that I don't see any delay in the three times in 5 years that I have used the AAA.
It is always 20 minutes. at home or in the highway.
The battery (jump) and tire service (change to spare) were done efficiently.
My motorcycle ran out of gas on a highway and the AAA guy gave me a gallon without charge and would not accept gratuity or money for the gas!

I did need a call on a flat on a rural road in New Mexico and had a response in 45 minutes. I was 50 miles from no where.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
the different services pay a little different, but in San Diego there are so many tow vendors that I don't see any delay in the three times in 5 years that I have used the AAA.
It is always 20 minutes. at home or in the highway.
The battery (jump) and tire service (change to spare) were done efficiently.
My motorcycle ran out of gas on a highway and the AAA guy gave me a gallon without charge and would not accept gratuity or money for the gas!

I did need a call on a flat on a rural road in New Mexico and had a response in 45 minutes. I was 50 miles from no where.
The difference will come into play when a lot of drivers call for service at once because of weather-related incidents. Maybe not usually an issue in San Diego.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Avalon
40 Posts
Safety Connect unavailable in Hawaii

I have discovered that my Avalon Limited was delivered to me - in Hawaii - last month without the Safety Connect feature that is supposedly standard equipment on the Limited model. The unavailability of this feature, as well as Entune, in Hawaii, were never disclosed to me either orally or in writing prior to purchase. I will shortly be seeing an attorney about the dealership's "oversight" in failing to disclose these facts (which the dealer has undoubtedly been fully aware of for at least 2 years). If anyone else in Hawaii has purchased an Avalon Limited or Avalon Limited Hybrid model (2013 or 2014) and similarly was never informed prior to purchase about the unavailability in Hawaii of either Entune or Safety Connect, please reply to inform me whether you might be interested in also exploring possible legal recourses against Servco Pacific (the Toyota distributorship in Hawaii), as my attorney is sure to be interested in knowing how many other affected buyers there may be. Thx.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
You are not missing anything. Trust me.
Huh? He's asking about Safety Connect, not Entune. Safety Connect could save your life if you're trapped after an accident with your cell phone out of reach, or if you're unconscious. The stolen vehicle tracking is worth something too.

·
PJSMITH
1,681 Posts
I don't see the point of theft tracking. Where you live matters most.
If you are in Wichita Kansas, you have a chance.

In San Diego, a car can be across the border in 15 minutes. I don't think Toyota will chase it over there. and the cops won't.

As for safety connect, I doubt that it's going to help. After a moderate collision, (T-bone rear quarter) the connect never did anything. If you total the car and are busted in half, do you think that it will help?

What is the documentation of the criteria for the safety connect to activate.
Only in a head on?
Disabled engine?
Off the navigation?

Seriously I would like to know the auto connect requirements.
If you need to push the button? on the mirror? is it auto matic?
Isn't the cell phone blue tooth connect button on the steering wheel closer to you.
If it's not automatic and you are unconscious, does it matter?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.