Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the local Toyota dealer garage replace the radiator and thermostat in my 1993 Camry LE (4 cyl auto) after an overheat. They quoted 1.0 hr for the rad and 0.8 hr for the thermostat. When I picked it up, they charged 2.0 hr for replacement of both. Obviously this is not a big ticket item, but I wonder if there might have been some time savings in doing both jobs, that were not passed on to me. Anyway, I was going to let it go but the service manager left a vmail this morning wanting to know if I had any comments or questions and practically begged for feedback, so I'm curious to hear from others before I call back.

Thanks,
ND

·
Super Moderator
13,137 Posts
I had the local Toyota dealer garage replace the radiator and thermostat in my 1993 Camry LE (4 cyl auto) after an overheat. They quoted 1.0 hr for the rad and 0.8 hr for the thermostat. When I picked it up, they charged 2.0 hr for replacement of both. Obviously this is not a big ticket item, but I wonder if there might have been some time savings in doing both jobs, that were not passed on to me.
There's almost no labor time savings from combining the two jobs. I think it's legit.

·
イリジウム
12,033 Posts
In the US they need to get authorization before going over the quote, but not sure in Canada. If they charge coolant separately then you didn't get charged double for parts.

Maybe have a word with the manager and see if you can get some money back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It would cost a lot of money jmho if you got it done at the dealership. I just replaced mine, bought from Fleebay, lifetime guarantee for $45, shipping included, and installation tooks about 2-3 hours because rust bolts etc..
It is too late because authorization has been done. Hopefully in the future, if your vehicle has any issue, first check it out the DIY section of this forum and you will find that it is very helpful.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
That sounds about right. Although, replacing the parts yourself, you would most likely have cut down cost by 2/3rds (depending on what the dealer charged you for parts, and how much they charge per hour).

·
Registered
884 Posts
Those parts are easy enough to change yourself, but I don't recommend no-name eBay parts unless you like your car breaking down again in the near future.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,839 Posts
i've also experienced the quoted labor being off from the actual if they run into something unexpected like seized bolts which take more time than the estimate. or they could have just rounded to the nearest hour - .2 hours is about 12 minutes which equates to about an extra, what, $16. man, i am in the wrong profession...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts