1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
straight cash homie
21,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.insideline.com/toyota/toyota-slips-in-new-global-brands-ranking.html
Toyota Slips in New Global Brands Ranking

Just the Facts:

* Toyota lost 16 percent of its brand value this year to rank 11th, according to a new list of the Best Global Brands.
* Mercedes-Benz ranks number 12.
* BMW is in the 15th position.

NEW YORK — Toyota's massive recalls have caused it to drop from 8th to 11th place, losing 16 percent of its brand value, according to Interbrand's latest ranking of the Best Global Brands, released on Wednesday. Ford's launch of the new Fiesta, which became a fixture on YouTube, Flickr, Twitter and Facebook, was praised as one of the best examples of "how to use social media."

Curiously, Harley-Davidson tumbled in the rankings, falling to the number 98 spot from 73rd position in 2009. The drop reflects a 24 percent loss in brand value, noted Interbrand. But it offered no explanation for why Harley-Davidson took a hit.

Interbrand pointed out that Mercedes-Benz, at number 12, and BMW, at number 15, "were able to sustain and build their value through innovative design and a focus on delivering premium value vehicles with luxury features." Audi, at number 63, "led industry growth this year with a 9 percent increase in its brand value," said Interbrand in a statement.

Coca-Cola was the number-one brand in the 2010 survey, followed by IBM.

Despite Toyota's drop in the rankings, Interbrand said "its long-standing reputation for reliability, efficiency and innovation helped it weather the crisis better than expected."

Inside Line says: The brand report card is in, and Toyota apparently needs to do some remedial work. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
All Rankings- Toyota dropped for the most part, many others are rising up.
http://www.interbrand.com/en/knowle...obal-brands-2008/best-global-brands-2010.aspx

·
11,502 Posts
I would not read too much into that. HP is listed at 10, even though their former CEO was accused of sexual antics, and he still left with a big payday

·
straight cash homie
21,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not read too much into that. HP is listed at 10, even though their former CEO was accused of sexual antics, and he still left with a big payday
Well, non-car people read things like this...regardless of the car, things like this along with JD Power, Consumer Reports rankings, have helped Toyota with their past sales. For Toyota, they have to score well to sell so many cars to people who think driving is an arduous task.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
Well, non-car people read things like this...regardless of the car, things like this along with JD Power, Consumer Reports rankings, have helped Toyota with their past sales. For Toyota, they have to score well to sell so many cars to people who think driving is an arduous task.

You are spot on. Non car people rely on those magazines. Not that they are bad but certainly not the end all be all. unfortunately people who could car less about cars treat them as is. Hence Consumer Reports is relied on. I know my parents use it as the bible, not only for cars but for other stuff (which isn't always a bad thing).

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Meaningless.

YOu guys know how good or bad your vehicle is. That's good enough!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Meaningless.

YOu guys know how good or bad your vehicle is. That's good enough!
I would not call this annual study meaningless; it does mean something to "influential" business people, otherwise it would not be published year after year.

But I do believe that it is not splashy enough -- it is BORING! -- to grab the attention of the average North American, so it is all but meaningless to most in the market for a new car. If the normal car buyer's perception of Toyota has changed, it is more likely due to the splashy coverage that Toyota has received from the mass media -- LA Times, 60 Minutes and ABC News among others -- but not from hard-to-understand business studies such as this one.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I would not call this annual study meaningless; it does mean something to "influential" business people, otherwise it would not be published year after year.

But I do believe that it is not splashy enough -- it is BORING! -- to grab the attention of the average North American, so it is all but meaningless to most in the market for a new car. If the normal car buyer's perception of Toyota has changed, it is more likely due to the splashy coverage that Toyota has received from the mass media -- LA Times, 60 Minutes and ABC News among others -- but not from hard-to-understand business studies such as this one.
Well...

I realize it isn't totally meaningless... I mean it is meaningless to the average Joe. In fact most will never even hear of it.

Toyota will recover from the 2010 black eye and media pile on. Next year will be a recovery year. Just watch!

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Well...

I realize it isn't totally meaningless... I mean it is meaningless to the average Joe. In fact most will never even hear of it.

Toyota will recover from the 2010 black eye and media pile on. Next year will be a recovery year. Just watch!
I have high hopes for the FT-86.

·
11,502 Posts
That's a good point. Still, they're ranked under HP?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Well...

Toyota's overall brand value may have dropped but it is STILL #1 in the Automotive sector.

·
straight cash homie
21,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Toyota's overall brand value may have dropped but it is STILL #1 in the Automotive sector.
Because they are still a great company, that's why haven't dropped further...like everyone says, if they stay on course, they'll end up off the list like some other car companies. Ford and Hyundai are somewhere half way up the list, but their values are rising.

For most car people, this may not matter, because what's important is what they have on their showroom floor.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Toyota just has to be careful and not rest on its laurels like GM did for so long.....and look what happened to them. Sure, they're making a comeback but they went through hell first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts